• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help

Dressedtokill

How does this set up look to y’all? Playing around with ropeman 1. Do I need something where the red circle is Incase of a slip or undoing itself? Thanks for the help

eec743b92c4b3855238a2c7c9facd1c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your set up looks fine. The only thing I would suggest is to change the style of knot you have on your tether loop. I can't tell for sure but it looks like you just have an overhand knot tied into a loop. Most guys who use a knot in their tether (versus a splice) tie a "figure eight on a bight". Here's a video on how to tie it.

A failure at the point you indicate is really unlikely. I dont know of anybody backing that point up. Some do double wrap the tree or hitch to prevent it coming undone and sliding an inch or two if the tether's load is removed.

The ropeman is a more commonly backed-up component, since it is not intended as a life-saving piece of gear.

I myself tie a loop in the end of the tag on the tether and clip it into biner also just incase my ropeman breaks. never had my line slip down tree though and just eyeball knots when i get up tree before my lineman is taken off.

Thanks guys! My ropeman is backed up with a prussic knot just Incase

You being a right handed shooter like myself, it would be better to flip your rope setup around. Follow me here. If you lean left and or walk around the tree for a shot, you will be taking the "choking effect" off your rope. It could slide and rotate with you especially on a tree with smooth bark. Now if you went around the tree to the right (like a lefty would) you would be pulling the rope with you and" choking" the tree tight. It won't slip that way. Hope that makes sense to you.

I prefer the Figure 8 but the over hand knot is adequate. The main factor is that the fig8 will be easier to untie though either knot is strong enough. What I would suggest is that you retie the knot leaving more tail and then tie the tail in a knot to prevent the first knot from undoing itself.

Alternatively, to reduce bulk, I sometimes use a medium duty zip tie to tie the tail to to the rope and keep it from pulling back through the knot.

Side note, I can tell he’s a righty by the position of the barrel on the release but why then is the bow on the right side?

Back