• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hitch for Lanyard

bigjoe

I am sitting here at 4:00 am playing with some goodies that came in from Wespur the other day. I got a few Petzl Ring Open-(thanks for the idea Ernie), 35’ of Predator, SMC micro pulley, 28” sewn eye prusik, TriTech 10’-custom flip line with both ends with a tight eye and thimbles. All to use with the tree squeeze and WE Stepps and perhaps some kiwi spurs.

I am putting together a system where you cannot fall, you may slip a foot or so before the tree squeeze or main tether grabs you but your not going to bounce. The main danger for us is during the climb and transitioning over from the lineman belt to the tether. So basically I am looking to be truly tied in from the ground all the way to my perch.

I love the idea of the Ropeman on my lanyard, the one hand adjustment is awesome, it is a vast improvement over the blake hitch for adjustment. However, it leaves a question in my mind with only having 880 strength in it. So that being said, I scoured the web for a hitch that would be one handed. I first looked towards the VT but quickly decided that with the nickname it has i.e. “suicide knot” and and what I read, on how it can finicky. Definitely not the knot for me.
I am quickly settling in on the Distel hitch with a micro pulley. It grabs every time and with a micro pulley it becomes one handed like a mechanical ropeman. Call me silly, and it may add a little weight over just the ropeman but for my piece of mind .....

One of the drawback on using a hitch is tree sap. The hitches can become gummed up. Whereas with most of the mechanical adjusters the sap from I have learned will not affect them. However, that is why they make soap. Another drawback is the added weight, but I will take that for safety. Then finally the biggest drawback I see is it takes a little more time to set up. Also, this system probably will not be user friendly for someone using sticks.

Last edited:
I am sitting here at 4:00 am playing with some goodies that came in from WesSpur the other day. I got a few Petzl Ring Open-(thanks for the idea Ernie), 35’ of Predator, SMC micro pulley, 28” sewn eye prusik, TriTech 10’ Customer flip line with both ends with a tight eye and thimbles. All to use with the tree squeeze and WE Stepps and perhaps some kiwi spurs.

I am putting together a system where you cannot fall, you may slip a foot or so before the tree squeeze or main tether grabs you but your not going to bounce. The main danger for us is during the climb and transitioning over from the lineman belt to the tether. So basically I am looking to be truly tied in from the ground all the way to my perch.

I love the idea of the Ropeman on my lanyard, the one hand adjustment is awesome, it is a vast improvement over the blake hitch for adjustment. However, it leaves a question in my mind with only having 880 strength in it. So that being said, I scoured the web for a hitch that would be one handed.
I first looked towards the VT but quickly decided that with the nickname it has i.e. “suicide knot” and and what I read on how it can finicky. Definitely not the knot for me.
I am quickly settling in on the Distel hitch with a micro pulley. It grabs every time and with a micro pulley it becomes one handed like a mechanical ropeman. Call me silly, and it may add a little weight over just the ropeman but for my piece of mind .....

One of the drawback on using a hitch is tree sap. The hitches can become gummed up. Whereas with most of the mechanical adjusters the sap from I have learned will not affect them. However, that is why they make soap. Another drawback is the added weight, but I will take that for safety. Then finally the biggest drawback I see is it takes a little more time to set up. Also, this system probably will not be user friendly for someone using sticks.
Using a micro pulley will make manipulation of the line effortless. I bought one as well and I’m not real sure how I’m gonna use it yet. But that is a great idea.

Good post, I like any post that reinforces safety - even though we take risks every time we climb :)

For me, it is a Ropeman, but I back it up with a quasi-loose prussik knot looped into the same biner my Ropeman uses in the unlikely case it fails.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Keep it simple and use a Distel hitch. It's among the simplest the to tie and gets almost the same performance as the other more complicated hitches

FWIW, back in the day it was common to use use a micro pulley with a Blakes hitch to make it one hand adjustable too. It's not quite as clean as using a closed hitch but it works well.

Last edited:
Truth being told. Yesterday when I climbed with my Kestrel for the first time, I had a ropeman1 on my line man belt. When I got to about 10ft I needed to adjust my angle and went to let out some of my line. Well if it wasn’t for the knot at the end I would have fell and probably been hurt. So we can never be to safe and that close call definitely has me asking how can i back this up. I think if possible it’s important to have two methods of safety. Ie. lineman with tether of some kind. Once source of climbing method isn’t safe in all reality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with the distel when I was using my rappel line for my tether I used the xt hitch but later switch to the distel it locked up on my ultra tech much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back