• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hog traps

Weldabeast

SH Member
My bff wife has a friend who has a hog problem and she wants us to make them gone and it's too tight for guns or archery tackle so gotta make a trap. Anybody got any info to share on trap design?

My bff wife has a friend who has a hog problem and she wants us to make them gone and it's too tight for guns or archery tackle so gotta make a trap. Anybody got any info to share on trap design?
As kids we built our own muskrat box traps w/the door that pushed in and not back out. Seems you could use that same design. With corn at the door they would push right in. Four hog panels from a farm supply and weld up a door. Of course our Ohio rats are not as heavy duty as your pigs.

Expensive but very affective. Seen one that was set to trap. Them hog were not getting out.

T-post, ratchet straps and old batting cage netting.

it’s a simple DIY project. Netting will be your biggest expense.

From what I've heard from farmers around d here, the main problem is that if you don't trap the entire sounder(herd) with the first attempt, they are smart and won't be caught in that same trap again. This is why those more expensive remotely controlled drop traps are so effective

From what I've heard from farmers around d here, the main problem is that if you don't trap the entire sounder(herd) with the first attempt, they are smart and won't be caught in that same trap again. This is why those more expensive remotely controlled drop traps are so effective
Yep. Single hog traps or shooting them is not a solution if you're serious about hog control. Thats why the USDA hog control program exclusively uses the remote controlled hog traps or poison where legal.

My buddy seems like he's losing interest fast....From what it sounds like it's a big sow with piglets...he probably just got my hopes up for nothing unless I can be in direct contact with the land owner...I could probably convince her archery tackle is more than c capable of doing the job.

Either way.... Maybe a good idea for me to build a trap anyway just in case I ever get the chance for a something like this in the future

Jagerpro are the 1s I hear are the top of the line remote release tap traps but they lots of moneyies

We've got them thick here in south eastern MO. They've survived many seasons of being chased, trapped, and getting shot at by bow and rifle.

"Dumb" traps will catch the young ones but will educate the older ones. Once they're educated, good luck getting rid of them. You might be able to push them off for a while with pressure but if your area has the resources they need, they'll circle back and be harder to kill the next time. A sow can have up to three litters a year. If you have a sow now with seven piglets, you can easily double that by fall, and triple that by next spring if the land can support it. Think Fantasia but with pigs instead of brooms. Catching and eradicating the entire sounder in one go is really the best way.

Those Jaeger traps are expensive but not impossible to DIY. A welder, some redneck engineering, and one of those cellphone garage door openers ought to do it. I'm cooking up my own concoction now. If I get something up and running this year before summer (pending on other projects/priorities) I'll post pictures.

We've got them thick here in south eastern MO. They've survived many seasons of being chased, trapped, and getting shot at by bow and rifle.

"Dumb" traps will catch the young ones but will educate the older ones. Once they're educated, good luck getting rid of them. You might be able to push them off for a while with pressure but if your area has the resources they need, they'll circle back and be harder to kill the next time. A sow can have up to three litters a year. If you have a sow now with seven piglets, you can easily double that by fall, and triple that by next spring if the land can support it. Think Fantasia but with pigs instead of brooms. Catching and eradicating the entire sounder in one go is really the best way.

Those Jaeger traps are expensive but not impossible to DIY. A welder, some redneck engineering, and one of those cellphone garage door openers ought to do it. I'm cooking up my own concoction now. If I get something up and running this year before summer (pending on other projects/priorities) I'll post pictures.
Estimates I have most consistently heard are that you have to kill 70% of the population every year just to maintain a certain population level. I'm not sure that number isnt low. I know on a WMA I hunt a good bit, game and fish trapped over 600 before the river came up and flooded a good bit of it. They broke out a helicopter and shot another 12-15 hundred. That was a couple years ago. Last season I saw or heard hogs every time I was in the woods pretty much without exception. When the water really gets up game and fish will have guys riding the woods in boats checking every potential spot of high ground with AR's and lots of ammo. Even with all of that, the hogs just keep coming. Once you have them, you just have them.

No direct experience but I've read about setting a trap but locking the door open for a few days so the critters acclimate to it. Once they're comfortable with it you can set it for real. Could maybe also work with a trap that has stopped being productive because the critters are educated.

All you need are like 10 of those green meta cattle fence posts they sell at tractor supply and some field fencing. You can rig the door where they can push it open to get in but can’t get out…. Let me know if y’all need some help

Back