• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How would you play it?

MattMan81

SH Member
Took my boys out for a hunt this evening since it was warm. Still can shoot late does with a gun on private. Took the crossbow along just in case. Right in the last 10 minutes had deer out in the middle of the field. Was good size. Came fast towards us. I put the rifle scope on him and see horns. Wow. Nice rack buck. He kinda checked the whole field like he was still looking for does. Was moving fast around the field. Then went back towards where he came from. I'm sure he watched us walk out as we had to go back that way to get back to the truck. Like someone has done a bunch of times hunting out there before.
This is S. Michigan. Mysterious late rut action? Do they get repeatable this time of year? Or is it all random. Would you go back in the AM thinking he is still on a mission? If he was looking for a doe and found one. He probably will hunker in I imagine. But he could be cruzing all over looking as well.
Any one have any experience with something similar?

I watched a buck chasing a doe this past weekend. I think there are still does coming into esterus.

I’d go back in the evening like u did to not educate any further. Maybe move closer if the xbow and the kid is in play ?

Young kids are good for a while again I think. Might try to get my daughter out. But she is a killer! Lol. Might have more luck if I put her on the crossbow.
I was thinking about it some more. I hunted that end of the field a few times. Twice after shooting light I had a good size deer come in on me in that area. To dark to see antler size. So if it's him he knows the game. But he is still playing it since he has won so far. Pretty sure I was the last one down there back on the 10th. So things have settled down some. Maybe he is moving earlier now. I could see him hanging off the field when the other guys hunted there, wait for them to walk by, then go Cruze the field edges.

I'd go right back and maybe get closer. You may be witnessing second rut action if it has been 28 days since the first rut.

I'd also think to go back in the afternoon but to enter in a different way and get as close as you can to where he came out. If you don't at least try, you'll probably wish you had.

Bucks will continue to stay in rut as long as there are eligible does around to be serviced. Its the main reason why you see bucks in one area holding on to antlers later into the winter than in others. Once there's no eligible does left, you'll start to see antlers start to drop as the testosterone drops.

Well.. raining on and off. In the blind with my daughter ATM. Not gonna complain. I would much rather shoot one with her. We kicked a few does out trying to come in the back way. So at least we saw something. Lol.

Back