• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Howdy from KCMO

Rathmatik

Howdy,

I'm in the KCMO area and started bowhunting last year, having grown up in Texas with a more generous rifle season. I've always hunted via blinds (either tower or mobile ground), stalking, etc. but have recently looked more into tree stands and saddles. I'm leaning towards saddle hunting as it seems more safe (high emphasis here) and the lightweight aspect is far more appealing for public land hunts.

At first, I thought buying a starter kit, something like the Tethrd Phantom kit, would be a good starting point. The more I read on here though, it sounds like getting a saddle, sticks, platform, rope, ascender, etc. separately would be more ideal. I also like this option because I can start getting gear over time and not have to buy it all in one go.

I'm hoping to start learning how to get setup with a saddle this year and hunt with one next year.

Some questions I currently have are:
  • For a tether and lineman's belt, how much rope do I need?
  • Should I go 8mm or 11mm?
  • What are some good places to buy rope, online or in-store?
  • Would it be best to use an ascender (looking at the Ropeman 1) on both the tether and lineman rather than a Prusik?
  • Anything else I should be considering before starting?

Thanks and glad to be here!

Last edited:
Welcome from Michigan.
Eastern Woods outdoors has lots of stuff related to Saddle hunting. Can help you answer questions as well.
There are arborist places, climbing places, and hunting places you can get rope and gear from as well. All offer a little something different.
I would take some time to watch some videos and think about where and how your hunting to pick what you want. Everything has a positive and negative. I don't think any two guys on here probably run the same set up. Or at least all the time. If you can meet up with some guys and try a few different things it can save you some money. Most guys on here will love to show you the best way to get up a tree!
Sticks and platform are easy. Your tether and lineman's belt pre made all come at about the same length. But If your into some bigger trees or wierd limb stuff maybe you want something a little bigger. You don't have to use a mechanical device for either. Rope prussics works just as well. But can be a little more difficult to dial in.
Be safe and good luck.

Welcome. A stiffer rope for a linesman works better when flipping it up for each move. Rope diameter is personal preference. Eastern Woods Outdoors has pretty much everything you could ever want or need. They also have excellent customer service and a live chat option on the website where you can talk to someone who can answer questions and give you advice. I highly recommend them as a place to start. Good luck. Don’t forget to practice from the saddle!

Back