• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HSS Tree Ropesand Ropeman 1

Docwaters

Newbie here, have two HSS ropes to use for tether and lineman belt. Purchased two Ropeman 1s, question would you feel safe using the Ropeman 1 without backing them up with a prussik knot?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Newbie here, have two HSS ropes to use for tether and lineman belt. Purchased two Ropeman 1s, question would you feel safe using the Ropeman 1 without backing them up with a prussik knot?

The ropeman is not designed to be used without a backup. A lot of guys do. I have, but after learning more, I switched over to using a Distel Hitch and micro pulley. The Distel is a one way hitch. So unless you are using a double linesman lanyard for bipassing limbs a Distel works fine. The micro pulley allows you to use one hand operation like a ropeman. I have shizll rope sliders for when I get the mantis.

There's plenty of friction hitchs out there besides the prusik that work good for a linemens belt or tether! Only time I recommend a prusik hitch on a linemens belt is if your using a 2 in 1 lanyard and need the hitch to grab in both directions on the belt! If you feel the need to backup the ropeman then why use it? Just buy a good eye to eye hitch cord and tie on a distel,schwabish,michocoan hitch! You could also use a blakes hitch on your tether!

The ropeman is not designed to be used without a backup.

That is a bold assertion... What makes you say that? It is designed as an ascender not a saddlehunting device... that said, it works great. It is not designed to catch a fall, but on a tether with little to no slack it does fine..... It is great for fall prevention, lousy for fall arrest. I use my on 8mm Oplux although it is not rated for that so I would not recommend it... use your judgement

That is a bold assertion... What makes you say that? It is designed as an ascender not a saddlehunting device... that said, it works great. It is not designed to catch a fall, but on a tether with little to no slack it does fine..... It is great for fall prevention, lousy for fall arrest. I use my on 8mm Oplux although it is not rated for that so I would not recommend it... use your judgement
This is spot on. The subtle difference in use, I think you nailed.

With the HSS rope I would be slightly concerned with how loose the sheath can be, I had one and it worked for a while, but the persistent use made the sheath so loose. Probably be a good idea in the future to upgrade your rope

Yep. Per the Ropeman 1 instructions, there is no mention or requirement for a backup. The diagram shows the climber using (1) RM1 as the ascender and another for the foot loop.
Screenshot_2021-09-20_13-35-49.png

Yep. Per the Ropeman 1 instructions, there is no mention or requirement for a backup. The diagram shows the climber using (1) RM1 as the ascender and another for the foot loop.
View attachment 52998

MN, what am I missing? What is holding that loop for the foot? I get that the ropeman/carabiner are holding to the line, but what’s holding the other side of the foot loop and allows it to be constantly tightened? Pretty crappy drawing for a company to have paid for, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where my ignorance comes in as all of my foot loops are always fixed length and never adjustable. I don't understand the reason why foot loops need to be adjustable as it's just another thing to mess with and adds complication.

In the diagram shown, the climber is ready to step up in the foot loop. Once standing in the foot loop, the working hand slides the upper RM1 up the rope while the other hand holds the rope to steady the climber. Once moved up, the climber sits down in their harness and moves the bottom RM1 back into position (shown in the diagram). Rinse and repeat.

To climb or descend a rope, you only need (2) prusik cords and (1) carabiner. The upper prusik is attached to the harness via the carabiner and the bottom prusik hangs loosely on the rope and is used as the foot loop. All you need to do then is stand up, slide the upper prusik up, sit down, slide the lower prusik up and repeat.

RM1's and similar ascenders do the same thing (as shown in the diagram) but are easier to operate as they slide on the rope easier when adjusting. They also cost more in terms of money, space, weight and complexity. Using a petzl hand ascender (or similar) and a belay device (common in SRT climbs) adds even more in terms of money, space, weight and complexity but gains a quicker and smoother climb.

In the end, however, the overall process is the same.

Getting back to the OP's question: Yes. The Ropeman 1 is a safety device designed to carry your full weight and is a mechanical alternative to a prusik.

This is where my ignorance comes in as all of my foot loops are always fixed length and never adjustable. I don't understand the reason why foot loops need to be adjustable as it's just another thing to mess with and adds complication.

In the diagram shown, the climber is ready to step up in the foot loop. Once standing in the foot loop, the working hand slides the upper RM1 up the rope while the other hand holds the rope to steady the climber. Once moved up, the climber sits down in their harness and moves the bottom RM1 back into position (shown in the diagram). Rinse and repeat.

Actually, I just mixed up the ropes…I thought the drawing showed a ropeman on the main line with the main line looped back up to be used to as the foot loop. Totally off. Back to your regularly scheduled programming….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Climbing with 2 ropemans is a joy. Very quick, effective and doesn’t take up much room. This was my intro into SRT.

That HSS is some tough rope, I think you’d be fine for a while using the ropeman 2 as far as wear goes.

Back