• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting in hiking shoes.

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Ok, so I have the rubber boots covered with a pair of Lacrosse Burley and a pair of Gumleaf boots. I haven't bought a new pair of snake boots and may let that slide for a while. I picked up a pair of Oboz Bridgers about 6 weeks back and I am breaking those in. The main thing I find is that with a heavy boot my knees get sore after a while. Walking hill country in rubber boots is not fun. If I had something light maybe it would not be so tough on my knees on those long walks. I know I would be sacrificing some stealth due to leaving more ground scent. Maybe it's a tradeoff I can live with.

My thoughts are to get a pair of hiking shoes, preferably waterproof. Public land is a different game and I hoof it many a mile. I'm wondering if a good pair of light hiking shoes would be a good solution. Get something with good arch support and cushion. It's not totally off the wall since I hunted a large part of my second season on public land in tennis shoes and was just as successful getting around and getting on deer.

Does anyone else hunt out of hiking shoes? Thoughts?

Yes. You are not the only one. I have Meindl boots for serious and long distance movements. I have the same muck boots as you because SC is made for them. But early season anywhere is total lightweight shoe time for me.
Look at something like this for starters.

XAForces mid or low. Up to you. And they make goretex and non goretex models.

Yes. You are not the only one. I have Meindl boots for serious and long distance movements. I have the same muck boots as you because SC is made for them. But early season anywhere is total lightweight shoe time for me.
Look at something like this for starters.

XAForces mid or low. Up to you. And they make goretex and non goretex models.
Thanks. Looks like they are out of my size...10 to 11 depending on brand, usually. Those XA lows in ranger green look nice. You know, the funny thing about hunting out of those tennis shoes was that even late season my feet did not get any colder than usual. It was weird.

Never used gaiters but that is a great idea. Do they keep ticks out?
I mean they aren’t designed to keep ticks out but if you were to treat them with a permethrin spray you’d be gold. They also make gaiters in snake resistant flavor so there’s that. They do help with keeping rocks and crap out your boots as they fasten securely around your ankle.

Ok, so I have the rubber boots covered with a pair of Lacrosse Burley and a pair of Gumleaf boots. I haven't bought a new pair of snake boots and may let that slide for a while. I picked up a pair of Oboz Bridgers about 6 weeks back and I am breaking those in. The main thing I find is that with a heavy boot my knees get sore after a while. Walking hill country in rubber boots is not fun. If I had something light maybe it would not be so tough on my knees on those long walks. I know I would be sacrificing some stealth due to leaving more ground scent. Maybe it's a tradeoff I can live with.

My thoughts are to get a pair of hiking shoes, preferably waterproof. Public land is a different game and I hoof it many a mile. I'm wondering if a good pair of light hiking shoes would be a good solution. Get something with good arch support and cushion. It's not totally off the wall since I hunted a large part of my second season on public land in tennis shoes and was just as successful getting around and getting on deer.

Does anyone else hunt out of hiking shoes? Thoughts?
You’ll be totally fine doing this in my opinion! I had the same problem 2 seasons ago. I still wear rubber boots for the first few weeks due to water and bugs. But after that all lightweight hikers man! Also there are studies that say our actual human ground scent dissipates fairly quickly after we pass through and area, it’s the scent of disturbed earth that lingers for a long time. This is what the deer notice. If this is true it doesn’t matter what you do for boots.

Last edited:
I use the Merrell Moab 2 hiking shoe that’s waterproof. I treat them with permethrin at the beginning of the season. I pretty much wear them the entire season unless it snows. Tried on a pair at bass pro to figure out the size and the bought them online for $50 less.

Back