• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting late season

BuckeyeBowman

Just wondering how many of you continue to hunt till the season ends? Where I hunt it’s a two deer county, harvested my buck on Nov 4th. Thought I was done but getting that itch to go out again. The wife is out of town Christmas week so think I’m going to buy another deer tag and give it a go for a doe. It’s going to be cold but that’s ok. Next question is when would you head out, morning, midday or evening. I do hunt public just an FYI.
Thanks for responding, Adam

Just wondering how many of you continue to hunt till the season ends? Where I hunt it’s a two deer county, harvested my buck on Nov 4th. Thought I was done but getting that itch to go out again. The wife is out of town Christmas week so think I’m going to buy another deer tag and give it a go for a doe. It’s going to be cold but that’s ok. Next question is when would you head out, morning, midday or evening. I do hunt public just an FYI.
Thanks for responding, Adam
I get back to the really thick transitions closest to food sources.

Buy the tag and go where everyone else is not. Since you are going in blind, check onX, wait until gray light and slowly walk around and find some good sign. Set up and hunt it, watch the wind and don't go to deep. Remember public land deer have been hunted hard by the end of season.

luckily I live on a state line. Buy a tag and hunt 5 mi from the house. Could of tagged out in 2 states but I misfired my bow yesterday,

Last edited:
I enjoy hunting the late season. Here in Maryland the season goes all the way till the end of January. A lot of times I find that I have the woods all to myself. Most of my late season hunts are evening hunts. Hunting between bedding and food sources seems to pay off as the deer try to replenish depleted energies from a long hunting season and rut.

I really like the morning hunts when it gets cold. I am too dang old to dress one out and bring it home all in the dark. I believe the deer move in both the morning and evening about the same where I hunt. Some of the older deer move from eleven until one according to my cameras but I've eaten enough older deer for my lifetime.:wink:

All situational, the only day light movement I see is if I’m lucky enough to find a spot where they browse near bedding, or acorns in the ground near bedding. I’m seeing them head to bed real early. Late season there are magical nights where everybody gets moving early, some people say cold spells and while that’s true I still see a lot of randomness to it, past couple years I keep striking out on picking the right evenings but it definitely happens.

Just checked the weather for that week, one day of high wind and 3 days of maybe rain, 60% or less but in the 40s. One day it won’t even get in the teens. I don’t mind the cold but cold and rain kinda sucks. I’ll wear the saddle when I go in but might just hunt from the ground

Nope I don't like late season. Having frozen fingers to set my sticks as I climb sucks. Plus I find most deer to be on defcon 1 from all the pressure. Just isn't fun to me. Makes me hunt that much harder during rut to get it done

I just don’t feel like waiting till next October. My freezer is full so no biggie if I don’t get one. I’m sure I’ll learn a thing or two I hope. Thinking I’ll spot and stalk while looking for any sign. Beats sitting on the couch

Brand new hunter here. I got vacation time all this week to get out there and hopefully find some success. The cold does suck...but I can't let the season end without valid attempts. I still see does in my trail cam. All the incentive I need!!

I was lucky and learned from my grandpa, uncle and my day. A family full of hunters, even my aunt used to hunt in her younger days. We’ve taken many deer from our family farm in Missouri. Now I strictly hunt public land in SW Ohio.

I was lucky and learned from my grandpa, uncle and my day. A family full of hunters, even my aunt used to hunt in her younger days. We’ve taken many deer from our family farm in Missouri. Now I strictly hunt public land in SW Ohio.
Nice!! Hoping my son keeps this going. He is only 7 right now but would be cool to to pass along.

It can certainly turn into a grind if you are obsessive. That’s the way I was when I was young, then as I became older I found that taking a day, two or three off each week during the late season recharges my battery and renews my thirst to get back out in the tree.

Back