• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hypothetically, what would be the best cross loading carabiner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandler96

SH Member
So, let's just say you did use a carabiner for your tether around the tree. Which one would you go with?

Edelrid Nineteen G. Hypothetically. ( there weren't any in stock nearby)

My understanding, and it may be incomplete, is that cross loading is a situation where the carabiner is loaded across a hard edge on its side. I think this would be possible on a very small tree where the carabiner could be loaded along its axis over the round profile of the tree, weakening it. In rock climbing this could be a lot more common since rocks have a lot of hard, sharp, squarish edges.

Wire gates are standard use items in alpine climbing where icy conditions will freeze the gates shut on locking carabiners. Rock climbing and mountaineering have been around a lot longer that saddle hunting so wire gates can't be the instant death sentence they are made out to be otherwise mountain climbers would not be using them thousands of feet up a mountain in icy conditions. That said, if folks want to err on the side of caution and use a locking carabiner or an auto locker that is cool with me.

Wire gates are standard use items in alpine climbing where icy conditions will freeze the gates shut on locking carabiners. Rock climbing and mountaineering have been around a lot longer that saddle hunting so wire gates can't be the instant death sentence they are made out to be otherwise mountain climbers would not be using them thousands of feet up a mountain in icy conditions. That said, if folks want to err on the side of caution and use a locking carabiner or an auto locker that is cool with me.

“Subsequent studies of the broken carabiner revealed that the wire gate was not distressed; in other words the carabiner appears to have failed because its gate was open. While a gate-closed carabiner failure is rare, carabiners with their gates open lose as much as two-thirds of their strength, making failure in a fall a real possibility.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back