• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I’m probably crazy….

Benny8

SH Member
I’ve been a long time lurker on the site. Always been a DIY guy. A few years ago I aspired to make my own saddle, but one thing or another got in the way. Having a decent sew…um, thread injector was the biggest deterrent. Well, a couple years ago I had a 1972 Chevy Nova that I picked up to restore with my Dad and daughter. Long story short, my daughter decided after I bought it that other things were top priority. I had purchased an industrial walking foot machine to do the interior. Ended up selling the Nova, but couldn’t sell the sewing machine. Well, it has come in handy on my journey down the rabbit hole. This morning I started not one, but two saddles. One for the wife and one for myself. Hers is a pleated saddle and mine is more of a phantom clone. I watched Jerry’s videos multiple times and been reading up the threads. Got my mesh cut out and the gross grain installed. Both saddles also have the leg strap loops installed. Been at it since 630am this morning. Of course, the first three hours was assembling the sewing machine and getting the routing of the thread and tension all worked out. I’m using V92 bonded poly thread. I have the servo motor turned down to the lowest setting and it still rips, so I used a cork yoga block under the peddle to serve as a governor. It’s been time consuming but I’m having a blast while watching YouTube hunting videos. Tomorrow I will start on the 2” chassis straps. Am I crazy?

I’ve been a long time lurker on the site. Always been a DIY guy. A few years ago I aspired to make my own saddle, but one thing or another got in the way. Having a decent sew…um, thread injector was the biggest deterrent. Well, a couple years ago I had a 1972 Chevy Nova that I picked up to restore with my Dad and daughter. Long story short, my daughter decided after I bought it that other things were top priority. I had purchased an industrial walking foot machine to do the interior. Ended up selling the Nova, but couldn’t sell the sewing machine. Well, it has come in handy on my journey down the rabbit hole. This morning I started not one, but two saddles. One for the wife and one for myself. Hers is a pleated saddle and mine is more of a phantom clone. I watched Jerry’s videos multiple times and been reading up the threads. Got my mesh cut out and the gross grain installed. Both saddles also have the leg strap loops installed. Been at it since 630am this morning. Of course, the first three hours was assembling the sewing machine and getting the routing of the thread and tension all worked out. I’m using V92 bonded poly thread. I have the servo motor turned down to the lowest setting and it still rips, so I used a cork yoga block under the peddle to serve as a governor. It’s been time consuming but I’m having a blast while watching YouTube hunting videos. Tomorrow I will start on the 2” chassis straps. Am I crazy?
Everyone starts somewhere: important things in my mind are, be cognizant of your thread spacing (usually around 6 or 7 stitches per inch works very well) and your thread tension. Make sure especially where you make your 2” webbing overlap itself, that you have plenty of stitch strength since this is going to be providing the actual life safety aspect of your harness. There are videos on sailrite’s site that go over SPI, calculating tensile strength ect… Many of us on here love to diy our own gear and saddles so I’m sure you’ll receive man critiques and a lot of encouragement on your builds! Be sure to post us some pics as you progress

Last edited:
Nope, I've hunted exclusively out of a homemade saddle I call "Rosie" (she's a plus sized version of Jerry's original Sally) for the last three years now. She's as comfortable for me as any commercial saddle I've tried (and I've tried a bunch). :tearsofjoy: The real advantage in making my own was being able to tailor out features I don't use to keep it as minimalist as possible, i.e. dedicated lineman's loops and molle anything. FWIW I have gone to a rated waist buckle on it though.

Yep.
J.k. sounds like a blast. I wish I had the time to do it.

You can climb like the best of them! I bow to you dear Sir!!

4a1ea5bf740cab05bf39a2ab129bee2e.jpg

You’re definitely crazy! I’ll probably never get rid of my Nova. Hanging on the side of a tree in a piece of fabric is a whole different level of crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4a1ea5bf740cab05bf39a2ab129bee2e.jpg

You’re definitely crazy! I’ll probably never get rid of my Nova. Hanging on the side of a tree in a piece of fabric is a whole different level of crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If my Nova was a finished car like yours, no way I would have parted. This one was in need of full restoration.

Got a little more work done on my wife’s saddle. Got the chassis of 2” strap with bridge loops and comfort channels installed. It’s starting to take shape. I’ll install the belt and linemen’s loops with the Molle hopefully tomorrow.
View attachment 86501View attachment 86502View attachment 86503

Looking good!

Your machine, definitely not an NC6, aka Seiko. Do you have any info. On what machine it is a clone or rebadge of? I am just curious on the machine. Thx.

Back