• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I just ordered a sit-drag and need info. On how to best DIY into Saddle.

Boxboss

Just got turned on to saddle hunting from a you tube video and can’t wait to try it.
Like most everyone else I don’t have a lot of money that’s why i want to DIY a sit drag into a saddle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a sit drag so I can't advise you but I can welcome you to this great site!
Welcome!

Your imagination and safety are the only limitations. Maybe find a Boy Scouts group and get "Climb On" certified; that would give you some basics on rope, knots, devices, and *SAFETY*!

DIY? - just google and youtube it some. The young man from up north "diy sportsman" (I think he is an engineering student or something) is wise beyond his years. He clearly had a good upbringing!

I started with a scissors to an old tree-stand harness = uncomfortable = too much movement = buck snorted at me as he came up the hill!
Last night it was $2 remnant from Salvation Army with fleece set to stretch from side to side = ended up with the tether 2' out of reach, but comfy!

This forum has helped me tremendously in my questioning stages. I have only been tethered 4 times now, & I am learning every time!

The important thing is to get out and be SAFE!

What DIY level are you? There are a ton of ideas out there.
All you need is a harness
Linesman belt
And on the sit drag the only thing you “Need” is a bridge.
My last one the only mod I did was put a Amsteel bridge on it. Catman529 is now hunting from it. Still stock minus the Amsteel Bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look in the DIY section and go back to late 2016 and earlier you will find numerous posts made by people modding theirs. Mine is modded like G2's from his video.

Lots of ideas out there!

Linesman belt
My last one the only mod I did was put a Amsteel bridge on it. Catman529 is now hunting from it. Still stock minus the Amsteel Bridge

Welcome!

@g2outdoors has a ton of great videos, at least one of which is sit drag mods and setups. Check out his youtube channel, it wont disappoint!
thanks

Linesman belt

I am pretty handy, skills shouldn’t be a problem just not very imaginative until I have an idea to build off of. I have seen a few YouTube vids on adding molle webbing and dump punches with Amstel bridges. Wich all sounded great. Thanks

Just got turned on to saddle hunting from a you tube video and can’t wait to try it.
Like most everyone else I don’t have a lot of money that’s why i want to DIY a sit drag into a saddle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all for your help and information. Also found an idea on SRT climbing instead of ladders.
I am pretty excited to get started on this and build as I go.
Thanks again.

If you add molle webbing put it on the side of the sit drag where it has the butt joint in the webbing. If you are going to sew webbing you might as well reinforce the weak point in the system. I don’t think anyone has had one bust but they really should overlap those ends.i would also add a waist belt.

If you add molle webbing put it on the side of the sit drag where it has the butt joint in the webbing. If you are going to sew webbing you might as well reinforce the weak point in the system. I don’t think anyone has had one bust but they really should overlap those ends.i would also add a waist belt.
Great Advice, thanks I will definitely reinforce it.

I’m 290lbs and mine has held me fine. I don’t think it’s necessary to reinforce it but if you’re going to see webbing across the sit drag I would make that my top and see it there

It is highly recommended that you use a rock climbing harness in conjunction with your sitdrag.

Alpine Bod is a popular choice for a low cost harness but I have a $25ish strap one that does the trick.

Welcome from SE Michigan! X2 on checking out @g2outdoors videos. Before he came out with the Mantis he was the guru of SitDrag mods and we all think he owns stock in SitDrag! Also, @DaveT1963 has some videos of his modded SitDrag. I used ideas from both. I added a waist belt and two rows of molle webbing with a tubular bridge. It should be used with a rock climbing harness - picked up cheap one for around $40. Once you've done that and if you have access to a heavy duty sewing machine, check out the DIY Kestrel Clone thread by @ckossuth - I was able to make a usable clone from his thread.

Back