• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Idea for classifieds

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
I know we have a rule in place to mark an item as sold in the title, and request the thread be locked. No issue there. But I've noticed quite a few people delete the contents of the initial post, and the title, and just replace everything with "sold, please close". One thing being lost here, is data for buyers and sellers to use when negotiating pricing, or the entire description sometimes of an items condition and such. Can we find a way to massage folks into leaving all the important data, and just adding "sold" to the title? Or is there a feature we can add to lock threads on our own once the item is sold, or not for sale, without modifying the post?

Just a thought I had which may keep the classifieds more classy!

Thanks to all you folks keeping the place great, this isn't a complaint.

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
Sep 11, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
That’s a constant struggle, we want people to leave the title as is & add sold. It helps track the market for recently sold gear.

Vtbow

Mar 21, 2018
Agree on this 100%. I hate when on other forums(and sometimes here) people delete what they were sold for $ wise. It makes it really hard to read the market and know whats fair market value or not...

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
Sep 11, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
One week suspension if someone deletes the title.
Man BJ with the hammer. We’ll work on it, I think maybe there’s a work around where , we don’t close until title is correct. But if that requires a separate Pm every time to complete, that’s a ton of moderation.

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
yes, I definitely don’t want to create more work for you guys, it’s already too much. I know the burden is really on us haha. We’re the dummies doing it, and with no ill intention of course. We just don’t see the consequences of doing it inadvertently.

is there a way to allow us to lock our own thread in just the classifieds? That might do it.

Sgt. Beardface

SH Member
Oct 26, 2019
D over Delaware
Don't wanna be "that guy" but I think deleting is a good thing. Prices are always fluid in that anything is worth what someone is willing to pay. Just because I sold my Phantom a few weeks back for $140 doesn't mean that is the value come deer season, especially if the product is OOS come late September/early October. Haggling is good, but ammo to hammer someone on the asking price is, IMO the opposite.

Thoughts?

-Chuck

RRussell

Jun 4, 2019
Fulton, NY
Id love to see something that says "I had a quick and easy transaction with XXXXX person.......Shipped fast or something along those lines also

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
Man BJ with the hammer. We’ll work on it, I think maybe there’s a work around where , we don’t close until title is correct. But if that requires a separate Pm every time to complete, that’s a ton of moderation.
I wasn't sure if there was a function to prevent posting for a number of days and then it would expire. Just reading for a week would not be so bad but it would be a reminder not to do it again.

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
Don't wanna be "that guy" but I think deleting is a good thing. Prices are always fluid in that anything is worth what someone is willing to pay. Just because I sold my Phantom a few weeks back for $140 doesn't mean that is the value come deer season, especially if the product is OOS come late September/early October. Haggling is good, but ammo to hammer someone on the asking price is, IMO the opposite.

Thoughts?

-Chuck

The same can be said in reverse, as you can have ammo to "hammer" someone on their offer.

The idea is we are moving cheap hunting gear, not real estate or nuclear weapons. A free market(within reason) depends on good information. If you're a buyer or seller looking to hammer someone, then you're going to do that regardless of information available. It's a valuable source of information, and the information doesn't stop outliers from doing outlier things. But for the 95% of us who want to be decent, and move product quickly, in either direction, it's a huge help. Also, negotiations happen in private, pretty much eliminating the issues outlined above.

If I list a product for 150.00 right before season, and someone messages me that one sold for 100.00 in april, I'm not obligated to listen to them. And if i'm a buyer, and I'm not aware of that dynamic, well, i'll probably miss out on good deals.

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA

Thoughts?

-Chuck
All those factors should be considered by the buyer and seller based on the last selling price. Going in blind is not good for either.

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!

Thoughts?

-Chuck
I think more info is always good, and usually leads to less haggling, not more. In your example, assuming there are other sales of a phantom in a more recent timeframe, it would be easy for both parties to query the subforum and see if the more recent sales were higher/lower than that 140 price.

I know for me, it makes life easier to be able to see what stuff goes for as both a buyer and a seller. I used to sell used guns, and being able to go through "sold" listings on places like gun broker made me much more comfortable buying with the intent to resell for a profit. I always was straightforward with folks. "Yeah, I know you paid $700 new. But here are 4 listings where the guns sold for $500 used. If I give you $400, that means we make a 25% markup if we sell it for that price. Absolutely, you could just sell it for yourself. Might take you a month, but you'd make more money. Or you could take cash today and be done with the whole affair, and let me fool with it."

Vtbow

Mar 21, 2018

Thoughts?

-Chuck
A lot of people here are buying used gear for their first setup. Its important they know they arent getting ripped off. And honestly, though I buy and sell stuff regularly(and yes sometimes for profit), I"m never looking to get rich. Most of the time I"m selling gear I have tried and no longer need, I"m trying to get as much out of my initial investment as possible. If I have x saddle I paid $200 for NEW and they are OOS or backordered I"m not giong to list it for $300 just because of that and the fact that its close to hunting season. Another example is an assasin platform...some new may come in and see a price of $450 for an "old" piece of gear. But after doing some research on here for how much they sold for and how rare they are they may be swayed to agree with the market that it is worth that and the seller isn't just trying to make a buck(or crazy :) ).

IMO there is a difference between trying to get a solid, fair market price for something and trying to rip someone off because manufacturers are B/O and someone is in a rush to get something for the season.If thats what people are trying to do, they should list it on ebay...search volume for saddle gear there has skyrocketed- no need to try to take advantage of community of (well used to be) close knit hunters sharing ideas and techniques trying to improve their hunting season and the gear they use.

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
I’ve simply messaged the people before the thread gets locked explaining why we like to not delete the whole title. Most have changed it no questions asked. If you see it just speak up and usually the people will change it.

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
One of the prominent members just deleted a title today. Thread closed already.

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
I’ve simply messaged the people before the thread gets locked explaining why we like to not delete the whole title. Most have changed it no questions asked. If you see it just speak up and usually the people will change it.

exactly. Effort! Care and concern. It’s why I posted. Hoping a little exposure helps some. Thanks for putting in the effort.

gcr0003

SH Member
Nov 1, 2018
One of the prominent members just deleted a title today. Thread closed already.
Nothing is stopping you from messaging said member and giving him a heads up for future classifieds! Most will agree.

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
Nothing is stopping you from messaging said member and giving him a heads up for future classifieds! Most will agree.
Good idea. If we just reminded people it should stop except for new members.
I just PMed him.

BuffaloBill

SH Member
Jan 20, 2019
Indiana
My biggest gripes with the classifieds are how much of a pain it is to upload pictures comparatively to other forums. Some type of feedback system or stickied thread would be nice. I'd much rather deal with people on here than other forums. If we could just close our own threads I think the prices and titles being deleted wouldn't be an issue.