• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Identifying saddles

BlackpowderGuy (AJHS)

SH Member
Hi all- I am still trying to figure out how to read topo maps correctly. Are the yellow arrows accurately pointing to saddles?

when the terrain is not that hilly- say where the difference between the peak andsaddle is only 15-20 feet of elevation, so saddles still funnel deer or is it more when the saddle is more like a pass in the mountain?

Attachments

• 38564D14-7F6B-4542-8557-7B8B0B92CEDF.jpeg
    38564D14-7F6B-4542-8557-7B8B0B92CEDF.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 50
Those are saddles, they will use any form of path resistance if there is thick cover adjacent to it. Other than fairly flat, what type of terrain/vegetation is this?

Your arrows are saddles but in the areas I’m at not every saddle is good. That top on is just a knob on the point creating the saddle. When a ridge tees into another ridge at a saddle those are dynamite!!! Others are good too,

Those are saddles, they will use any form of path resistance if there is thick cover adjacent to it. Other than fairly flat, what type of terrain/vegetation is this?
Basically just timber, mixed hardwoods, a lot of thin diameter trees interspersed with some larger red oaks...I sat today for 4 hours, saw nothing but squirrels...wind was right, but I think that spot is too far from food sources and therefore too far from doe bedding and therefore less buck action.

Back