• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

If you were new to the saddle???

Byrum

Jun 22, 2018
So as I await the arrival of my first saddle (Mantis) I am wondering if I should go ahead and order a Ropeman for my tree tether? I an also thinking maybe I should order Recliner as well? I am in Iowa should I be thinking about getting the SBW Heater? Any thoughts and advice would be greatl

skell

Staff member
SH Member
Oct 25, 2016
Iowa
Ropeman - yes
Recliner - yes
SBW - ??

Ropeman is a no brainer IMO. Makes adjustments so much easier. I find the saddle much more comfortable with back support. The SBW I could go either way on. I'm interested to see reviews and hear how much of a difference it makes. I hunted into the teens last year without any issue with a cold butt. That was with a sitdrag...which is a single cordura layer and still compresses insulation. I'm interested in how different heat retention is with the mesh. I don't doubt the SBW could be helpful for all day cold hunts. Mine tend to be more in the 6 hr max neighborhood by that time if year.

Reactions: huck72412 and Byrum

Byrum

Jun 22, 2018
Ropeman - yes
Recliner - yes
SBW - ??

Ropeman is a no brainer IMO. Makes adjustments so much easier. I find the saddle much more comfortable with back support. The SBW I could go either way on. I'm interested to see reviews and hear how much of a difference it makes. I hunted into the teens last year without any issue with a cold butt. That was with a sitdrag...which is a single cordura layer and still compresses insulation. I'm interested in how different heat retention is with the mesh. I don't doubt the SBW could be helpful for all day cold hunts. Mine tend to be more in the 6 hr max neighborhood by that time if year.
Thank you for the input. I think I will take your advice and order the two and wait on the other. Although I would hate to be freezing my butt off and have to wait who knows how long for the SBW. Thanks again

Chistavocat

Sep 15, 2015
Ropeman-definitely

Recliner-yes-it’s so small and compact why not carry it-the attachment system is pretty cool also

Butt warmer-I would also like to hear reviews on this one. I’ve hunted single digits in a saddle. Although none of them where mesh, my butt was the last thing to get cold. Its always the extremities. A platform warmer or a heated bridge for your hands, now we’re talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: huck72412 and Byrum

Byrum

Jun 22, 2018
Ropeman-definitely

Recliner-yes-it’s so small and compact why not carry it-the attachment system is pretty cool also

Butt warmer-I would also like to hear reviews on this one. I’ve hunted single digits in a saddle. Although none of them where mesh, my butt was the last thing to get cold. Its always the extremities. A platform warmer or a heated bridge for your hands, now we’re talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A heated bridge.. I like it! Thank you for the advice. I will be getting the first two items for sure. The butt warmer I am still not so sure about.