• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Inexpensive DIY duck blind

@Red Beard I think if you took that amazon netting stuff we were talking about, and worked some of your Gillie magic into it like he did, you would really improve it. It's tuff, but not sure how tuff. So not sure how much of it you could add before it rips. I purchased a longer length and cut it in two pretty easily with a knife. But hanging some string off is different.

I certainly like the concept. My kids worked on a ghillie blind for quite a while this summer. Used black 1" square deer fencing as the base and added raffia, etc. The final product was cool but didn't roll up tight and was a pain to transport. This thread has me wanting to revisit the design.

Nice! We used to just weave all that type stuff into chicken wire, roll it up, unroll it, start hunting.
I’ve used chicken wire and the rolls of wire with the square holes too. I still have a few deer ground blinds made like that. This setup rolls up a bit tighter and lays flatter for my canoe. When I take my big boat I have some cattle panels that are cut into 3 foot sections with the wire cut out of the middle.

@Red Beard I think if you took that amazon netting stuff we were talking about, and worked some of your Gillie magic into it like he did, you would really improve it. It's tuff, but not sure how tuff. So not sure how much of it you could add before it rips. I purchased a longer length and cut it in two pretty easily with a knife. But hanging some string off is different.
What is the Amazon material? I’m always looking for a better way to make something

What is the Amazon material? I’m always looking for a better way to make something
This is the stuff we were talking about. Pretty similar to what you have going on. Few different varieties on there. But all pretty similar. Probably comes from the same manufacturer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221213-114129.png
    Screenshot_20221213-114129.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
This is the stuff we were talking about. Pretty similar to what you have going on. Few different varieties on there. But all pretty similar. Probably comes from the same manufacturer.
I’ve seen that and thought about picking some up after my stuff wears out. It would be worth a shot.

Ironically enough duck hunting from a canoe is what peaked my interest in deer saddle hunting. I’ve always been fond of the idea of traveling light and accessing places others won’t. I’ve spent many a sleepless night coming up with ideas on how to make my setup lighter and more portable while staying safe. I bought a duck boat and got lazy, my success rate has suffered too.

Ironically enough duck hunting from a canoe is what peaked my interest in deer saddle hunting. I’ve always been fond of the idea of traveling light and accessing places others won’t. I’ve spent many a sleepless night coming up with ideas on how to make my setup lighter and more portable while staying safe. I bought a duck boat and got lazy, my success rate has suffered too.
I think it's everyone's dream. A light easy to use set up, that you can take some place secluded and shoot lots of ducks or big deer. Sadly.... It always sounds way better on paper..

Here is a blind I came up with a coup years ago. It’s my mobile duck blind but could probably be modified for a mobile deer blind. I made it for canoe hunting.
you would canoe in and then sit in the blinds with this setup then?

you would canoe in and then sit in the blinds with this setup then?
Yes, I’ve used several different setups but this is where I’ve landed for now. I’ve even played around with using my canoe as a layout blind. I’ve canoed into a lot of public areas on big and small water. I’m headed out tomorrow morning, I’ll try and take pictures.

I think it's everyone's dream. A light easy to use set up, that you can take some place secluded and shoot lots of ducks or big deer. Sadly.... It always sounds way better on paper..
I’ve got a journal I’ve kept for the last 10 years or so. Actually the duck hunting looks pretty darned good on paper.

0464108aaacdda136202f8dcd7752c6b.jpg

Here’s the layout blind setup on my big aluminum canoe. It went through a few revisions before I settled on something. The canoe got a paint job too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0464108aaacdda136202f8dcd7752c6b.jpg

Here’s the layout blind setup on my big aluminum canoe. It went through a few revisions before I settled on something. The canoe got a paint job too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I picked up a kayak recently, it's a lifetime Yukon 116 SOT, and I've been trying to figure the easiest way to be able to utilize it for getting into some of the smaller sloughs as well as fishing and floating. I've been in the train of thought of mudding my yak, and just using burlap with grass zip tied onto it, cover myself and the yak. I can just fold it up when not in use. Any tips?

Last edited:
I built a layout for my old town NEXT this year. Have made a grand total of one hunt out of it. Lol.
I bought it with a couple of wetland units I mind neither if them were flooded this year. Go figure.

I've got mine rigged on a bungee that slips over the edge and is ran through some rope netting, a layer of die cut camo (should have doubled it) then raffia. Used the flip doors on my SOBADS sneak boat as a template and bent 3/4" emt conduit. Then used Bimini fitting to make them quick detach. Green snow fence and raffia grass to brush it in. I need to snap a pic of it sometime set up. This is the only one I have of it.

Screenshot_20221213-201137_Gallery.jpg

I built a layout for my old town NEXT this year. Have made a grand total of one hunt out of it. Lol.
I bought it with a couple of wetland units I mind neither if them were flooded this year. Go figure.

I've got mine rigged on a bungee that slips over the edge and is ran through some rope netting, a layer of die cut camo (should have doubled it) then raffia. Used the flip doors on my SOBADS sneak boat as a template and bent 3/4" emt conduit. Then used Bimini fitting to make them quick detach. Green snow fence and raffia grass to brush it in. I need to snap a pic of it sometime set up. This is the only one I have of it.

View attachment 78101
Who in their right mind just lays a pretty overunder down in the swamp grass like that? Cmon man.

Back