• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Is this milkweed?

Cajunshooter

Okay I think I may have found some?
c8c9e719278fd40ea7145bed9880591d.jpg

The pods will be 2"-3" long....

Yeah I just looked back at the thread for milkweed holder. I've never seen anything like these. We have what I think is a dandelion that has seeds that float really well, but they are all gone for the year. Looks like this is going to be a next year project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The leaves almost look like succulent leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s special about milk weed

As swampfox said, you can visibly see what the wind is doing. It floats on the slightest breeze. I have had times when I could watch it for more than 50 yards while it zigs and zags up, down, left, right...

upload_2017-10-7_21-10-30.jpeg

We have lots of this weed in Ontario. this is milkweed. Notice the pods 2-4 inches long. Note the seeds I would send you some but I am sure customs would object.

Gotcha

While it has been an old trick for many, Dan Infalt has made it popular in his hunting methods that he promotes. There's going to be a mass spread of milkweed across this country due to everyone using it. It does a great job in providing an understanding of how wind actually moves through an area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is what you guys are looking for. Grows in open areas that get plenty of sunlight. Tall grassy fields are usually best.

This is what you guys are looking for. Grows in open areas that get plenty of sunlight. Tall grassy fields are usually best.

I'm pretty sure that just doesn't exist here.

Cajun I assume you live in the south. This tree me of year best natural wind checker around me is cattail. The brown heads will fill up about a pint sized ziplock bag. It is a buff color and smaller than milkweed so it's harder to see. It works pretty good.

Cajun I assume you live in the south. This tree me of year best natural wind checker around me is cattail. The brown heads will fill up about a pint sized ziplock bag. It is a buff color and smaller than milkweed so it's harder to see. It works pretty good.

Oh yeah I can get my hands on that! I don't think they are going to be as light as these look to be though?

They float as far as you can see them. I have watched it for about 50 yards but it's nothing like the milkweed videos I have seen. Dandelions would work well but you would have to collect all summer to get enough to last the season.

I haven't found any downsouth either. Only seen them when I make a trip up north. A cotton ball works ok also. I used that for years before I found milk weed. You just need to pinch a few small fibers and let it float. Sometimes it helps to spread the fibers apart so it holds more wind.
It's a whole new world out there when you watch the wind currents. Predicted wind directions on the weather channel isn't where your scent is going a lot of the time. Plus it changes through out most of your hunt as the temps cool and warm. The harder the wind is blowing the more steady the direction your scent disperses.

Back