• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Jeep

Root

Any jeep guys on here?

I'm currently in the parts gathering phase to bring my 58 cj5 back to life for my kids. I originally built it almost 20 years ago in high school. I didn't have any money so everything including the motor was cobbled together out of used parts. Then I went away to college and my father used it to do firewood and dropped a tree across the firewall crushing the body.

That year during winter break I couldn't afford to buy a body so instead I built it. I used a different firewall, hood, grill and window frame the rest is all hand built.

Most of the jeep is warn out junk, so it's in need of a frame off restoration. I've bought 2 other cj5s to scrounge parts from. The current plan is to build a new frame, rebuild a motor, tranny and tcase, and either swap in full hydraulic steering or switch to power steering.

My oldest is 5 now, I figure in another 4-5 years he will be old enough to cruise around out back and I'd like it finished by then.

Where you located? My buddy had a '64 frame. Sand blasted and cracks repaired. Just missing the cross member towards the rear. Only reason he stopped on it was he found a '58 from a barn that's running

Yeah if it's not a big hassle. It would depend on price as well. I don't mind building a new frame either if it comes down to it.

283 small block I believe. When we took it out it was just sitting on the frame. Nothing was really hooked up yet motor, tranny, brakes. A called it his bucket 'o jeep

Love jeeps. Had a 98 wrangler pre kids with 33s and a 3 inch lift. It was really nice but add two little kids and the Jeep just sat. Interested in a another but the time just isn’t right. Gotta say though it’s very relaxing to put the top down and take the doors off in the summer and just cruise the back roads in a lifted Jeep with big tires. Wish I still had it...........

Love jeeps. Had a 98 wrangler pre kids with 33s and a 3 inch lift. It was really nice but add two little kids and the Jeep just sat. Interested in a another but the time just isn’t right. Gotta say though it’s very relaxing to put the top down and take the doors off in the summer and just cruise the back roads in a lifted Jeep with big tires. Wish I still had it...........
I've got a subaru with a double length moon roof, like the same thing, right? Right?:rolleyes:

I've had several tj wranglers before I got into pulling diesel trucks. I've built/ heavily modified several cj, yj, and tj's. I actually passed an elective in college by installing a long arm kit in a professor's 98 tj.

I'm building this for around the property/ teach the kids to drive. I have 0 interest in putting it on the road. Once the wife's not looking long enough I plan on dragging home a lj wrangler. My truck pulling/ stock car racing days are over so it's time to get back into jeeps.

I've had a lot of vehicles over the years but one of my absolute favorites was a '79 Jeep J-10 pickup. 360 V-8, Quadratrac full time 4 wheel drive, 6" lift and 33" mudders. That beast would go anywhere. One time I was out mudding by myself in unfamiliar territory when I started down a long steep trail in axle deep mud. I was thinking "I hope there's another way out of here" because I wasn't sure I could get back up the hill. I got to the bottom only to find a full size bronco stuck there. I hooked him up and pulled him back up that 1/2 mile long hill in reverse. Once I unhooked him I went back down and out the way he had come in. I figured if he could get there then I could certainly get out the way he came in.

I've got a subaru with a double length moon roof, like the same thing, right? Right?:rolleyes:

Yup that’s the same if your a NYC city slicker. Or he’ll just open the window on the subway commute home. :eek:

Yup that’s the same if your a NYC city slicker. Or he’ll just open the window on the subway commute home. :eek:
Hey now...its a stick turbo with an sti conversion...looks like a mommy wagon, drives like a racecar. can't open that throttle anywhere near nyc!!!

And I have a 2500hd to make up for the wagon factor ;-)

Hey now...its a stick turbo with an sti conversion...looks like a mommy wagon, drives like a racecar. can't open that throttle anywhere near nyc!!!

And I have a 2500hd to make up for the wagon factor ;-)

Because of the stick and 2500 hd well let you continue to be a mod on here and stay on the site. But your on double secret probation. Especially when you compare a Subaru to a Jeep. Although I must admit I owned and Impreza wagon 5 speed when I lived in UT and it out performed all the trucks on the back country ranch I lived on. It was like a snowcat.. but I never said that... ;)

Because of the stick and 2500 hd well let you continue to be a mod on here and stay on the site. But your on double secret probation. Especially when you compare a Subaru to a Jeep. Although I must admit I owned and Impreza wagon 5 speed when I lived in UT and it out performed all the trucks on the back country ranch I lived on. It was like a snowcat.. but I never said that... ;)
Let's just say I might have been part of a group who drove a subaru outback to the top of bolton valley... mid winter..at like 50 mph....when I worked there....they will climb a tree with a set of studded haks on them...

I had a Cherokee sport, it sucked in the snow compared to the suby...sorry. much better in the mud though!

I had an ‘85 wagon, The Screwbaru. Bad to the bone, dang thing would go anywhere it had clearance. Great vehicle.

I had an ‘85 wagon, The Screwbaru. Bad to the bone, dang thing would go anywhere it had clearance. Great vehicle.
Was that a loyale? True 4x4. Those were awesome..but not awesoem like a Jeep of course..

Back