• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Juki 563 Clone acquired (Chandler CU563)

sojourner

SH Member
My Consew 206 RB-4 was not enough to satiate my appetite for industrial thread injectors for my DIY projects. Talking to @jhunter13 made me realize I need/want a machine dedicated to use for binding. I have been on the lookout prowling FB MP and CL for some time.

I found a good deal on FB MP on a Juki Clone of a LU-563 (Chandler/Chandsew). Got to see it running and laying stitches in fwd/rev and laying a few stitches in fwd and reverse myself, and after inspection and a little hiccup, I ended up bringing it home.

It needs a nose plate and I need to replace the button for changing stitch length, but other than that, it appears to be working well. Got it for $400, which I think is a decent deal. Now onto a journey of cleaning, setting up / timing, stitch length button replacement and a new servo motor and I’ll be ready to start using it for aider, saddle and back pack builds.

Much thanks to @jhunter13 for his expertise and being a life-line for me while I was testing at the sellers location. And much thanks to him in general for his expertise on all things sewing/mechanical.

I still have hunting to do until Feb., so I may not get to this restoration right away. I will update this thread as I make progress with this machine.

Anyone in the market for a gaggle of vintage domestics? LOL

ded54ec704599ba1792064ac182db379.jpg

a9564c2ca2931ca0c2c297d5407b0b2d.jpg

bef5db3ba3b4b641cba87a72020ab93c.jpg

4d21094582a816503e1b9afa8914a1b7.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if this would fit the 563 for binding.... This one specifically because it is set up to accept a synchronized binder arm.

The needle plates between the 1508/1510 and 563 appear to be interchangeable, but that doesn't mean the 563 will be able to use that same feed dog. https://www.ebay.com/itm/302838346693

i am going to restore before setting up binding. By the time I do that, @jhunter13 should have the perfect setup for right angle binding on a 563 clone.

do you use a synchronized binder on any of your machines?

i am going to restore before setting up binding. By the time I do that, @jhunter13 should have the perfect setup for right angle binding on a 563 clone.

do you use a synchronized binder on any of your machines?

Yep, it makes it insanely easy to bind curved shapes or anything, really. I ended up getting a "Yamata" cylinder arm machine, a clone of an older Pfaff 335 as a dedicated binder, but if I already had a flatbed that could be converted, totally would have tried to use that instead.

Yep, it makes it insanely easy to bind curved shapes or anything, really. I ended up getting a "Yamata" cylinder arm machine, a clone of an older Pfaff 335 as a dedicated binder, but if I already had a flatbed that could be converted, totally would have tried to use that instead.

thx for the info.

No problem! I did binding on my Juki 1541 for a while, swapping feet and needle plate for binding and setting up the right angle binder, and then swapping back for normal sewing. It worked, but got tiresome. The difference between the fixed and synchronized binder was substantial.

Back