• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Just Got My 2022/2023 Budgeted Home Heating Oil Plan

jlh42581

My house uses 330 gallons a year its small 1100sqft

$5.15 a gallon

Averaged out monthly payment with my $300 annual service contract.... $175/month, almost double last year

I cant even imagine being someone with a bigger older house. Even the heating oil company says how efficient my place is.

C’mon man…. don’t worry you will be 100% electric soon… why just the other day I watched a unicorn walk across the lawn and it farted…. a beautiful rainbow soon followed, I knew right then and there all was good in the world…

C’mon man…. don’t worry you will be 100% electric soon… why just the other day I watched a unicorn walk across the lawn and it farted…. a beautiful rainbow soon followed, I knew right then and there all was good in the world…

I used to have an oil burning boiler which was ridiculously energy inefficient; used approximately 500 gallons of oil per year. It also was starting to require frequent service requests to fix it. Well, this past October I replaced the heating and A/C system in my house with a natural gas furnace and energy efficient A/C system. The cost per month to heat my house was 1/2 of the oil system.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Ugh. I’m looking for a house in this market…
Realities like this should correct things soon. I hope
I’m putting my head back in the sand.

We have been watching for a year. First it was anything we like sold so fast for 100k over asking we never had a shot. Now the houses arent there that we want and even if we did the interest rates have made the mortgages increase significantly. Might be best if we just park a year or two. Thankfully I like this house. Its my wife that wants more house not me.

I don't know where you live but I heat exclusively with wood. I might not enjoy all the splitting and hauling it,but then I remind myself how much money I saved over the last 25 years. I do own a big old farmhouse and am in the process of Insulating it better,attack the problem from both ends. A logging truck of wood used to cost 525 25 years ago,now it is 650. That is not bad at all.
Plus I burn some calories doing the wood.

I don't know where you live but I heat exclusively with wood. I might not enjoy all the splitting and hauling it,but then I remind myself how much money I saved over the last 25 years. I do own a big old farmhouse and am in the process of Insulating it better,attack the problem from both ends. A logging truck of wood used to cost 525 25 years ago,now it is 650. That is not bad at all.

Theres no space in this small house to burn wood or I would for sure. This is a manufactured home sitting on a foundation but no basement. I dont mind cutting wood either. My neighbor has about 4 full cords stacked at the moment. Everyone should get ahead of this as much as they need to based on situation at hand. Gonna be a lot of people screaming they cant buy their kids Christmas this year and wondering how it happened. People are so oblivious to this situation, the clock is ticking and theyre gonna unfortunately get an extremely rude awakening.

Everyone should get ahead of this as much as they need to based on situation at hand.
Couldn't agree more! I always try to fill my propane in spring, sure sometimes it doesn't work out but I'm sitting on a full tank for less than $2/gal right now. In a mild winter that has got me through the season, although it's really close.

Just priced out my anthracite coal went from $330@ton to over $500 @ ton. Lot of money to be made from the stupid E.U. countries guess their sanctions have bitten them in the rear.

I think lumber has been falling recently

I think lumber has been falling recently
I think you are right on the lumber. Is that because of the rate hikes trying to hold of a major recession causing the housing market to slow down? Supply and demand thing?

I would guess it's a bit of both, high rates slowed building and that lowered demand.

I'll be curious what propane is this year, it's about that time they send out the pricing letter

Oil is actually falling in price fairly steady recently. Maybe we will get lucky and shave $1 off by winter. The oil company told me the price im locked in at now is the price on this plan all season. If theres a price drop the credit wont come till next years season.

It’s been $650 a long time, $850 will be closer to reality this winter, I just spent $3102 to have a skidder trucked 336 miles to my house, next week I have to change all the oils on that machine and I’m expecting $800-$1000 just for filters and oil, loggers are dropping out by me, I said screw it and bought a skidder to cut my own land this winter, I’m about an hour or so north of you.

If it works in your house a little wall unit propane stove or a pellet stove can really take the edge off and keep the oil furnace from running constantly. I use a small pellet stove and burn 1- 40# bag every 2-3 days and it keeps the downstairs comfortable with the furnace rarely kicking on. pellets so far I have been able to find at $5-7/bag or cheaper in bulk. Also, I buy oil on demand and find it cheaper.

Last edited:
Back