• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

JX3 xbow/gun rest idea

dlist777

If you dont use a JX3 or only use it with a vertical, this wont apply to you.

I am a xbow+gun hunter and almost exclusively hunt in the JX3. I usually find a way to rest my arms or elbows on the webbing or bridge to steady a shot. It works better than totally offhand...but I was thinking of a way to incorporate a better rest.

There is this product called a hip stick. Its designed to be worn on your belt as you walk to your spot and then deployed when you get there. See pic below.

1.jpg2.jpg

I was trying to figure out a way to incorporate this with the JX-3. I tried wearing it on my belt with it pointing down (like its supposed to when walking in). But even if I was Ok walking in, climbing and getting it deployed once tethered was effectively impossible. It juts always got all caught up in the webbing, especially when I sat back weighted in my tether. Then, I realized the stick itself unscrews from the connection point. Furthermore, I realized the JX-3 has its own belt, so no reason to use the one I have on my pants. So, i connected two hip sticks to my JX-3 belt and secured with zip ties. I unscrewed the stick itself and put one of my pounches.

Below shows how it looks. I don't have any selfies of me shooting in it, but I think you can get the idea from these pics. As long as you can steady your feet on the tree/ROS, you can get a pretty rock solid rest this way. Not 100% perfect, but better than just the webbing. You just climb up with the sticks in your pouch or pack and just screw them in and deploy them where you think you'll need them. There is a thumb screw by the connection point which keeps them from falling down when deployed. I did one one each side b/c i shoot lefty and righty.

Note: In the pic above, the guy is using it to rest is backside elbow. I rest my backside elbow on the webbing and use the hip stick to support the front of the weapon (gun or xbow)

It does interfere just a bit with the lineman's loops. But, I already had an extender on those so that didn't impact me. My apologies for my garage as a background, it kind of makes it hard to see right away, but I added a few circles.

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg8.jpg

Now some caveats: I have practised walking, climbing, and shooting with a xbow and I think this may have some merit. But, I have NOT used while hunting yet, so I can't fully endorse or encourage anyone to try. I think the idea has enough merit to share and it might spark some other ideas. I will update this thread later in the year.

Back