• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

keeping 12 aluminum steps separate while climbing?

raisins

SH Member
I'm considering going to aluminum steps with daisy chains to climb. I don't want to wrap them because that adds weight and build. The only time they will cling for me is when fishing them out of my stuff sacks. With my plastic tree hopper steps, I carry 6 steps on each side in mesh sacks and they are quiet.

I am trying to figure out a simple and effective way to carry 12 aluminum steps (maybe 6 on each side) in a way that I can retrieve each step without clanging them against their neighbor. Going to the aluminum steps will save weight, so a bonus is if the system isn't much heavier than my 2 mesh sacks with plastic carabiners (to hang sacks off saddle).

Thanks for any ideas. The steps are skeletonized, which might be an exploit for containing them (have considered something that sticks inside the cutouts to hold them, maybe kydex).

both good solutions....6 socks sewed together to form a pouch OR wrap like @GeoFish

i used to wrap my treehoppers like that but it was slower to deploy compared to wrapping around your hand and then attaching that (free falling) bundle to step

I'm considering going to aluminum steps with daisy chains to climb. I don't want to wrap them because that adds weight and build. The only time they will cling for me is when fishing them out of my stuff sacks. With my plastic tree hopper steps, I carry 6 steps on each side in mesh sacks and they are quiet.

I am trying to figure out a simple and effective way to carry 12 aluminum steps (maybe 6 on each side) in a way that I can retrieve each step without clanging them against their neighbor. Going to the aluminum steps will save weight, so a bonus is if the system isn't much heavier than my 2 mesh sacks with plastic carabiners (to hang sacks off saddle).

Thanks for any ideas. The steps are skeletonized, which might be an exploit for containing them (have considered something that sticks inside the cutouts to hold them, maybe kydex).

How wide are they? Could you just stick them through the molle loops on your saddle upside down with rope wrapped around the foot pad to stop any clank if they bump? If they will go through the loops, you could run the rope through first and then wrap on the step basically locking them onto the saddle.

How wide are they? Could you just stick them through the molle loops on your saddle upside down with rope wrapped around the foot pad to stop any clank if they bump? If they will go through the loops, you could run the rope through first and then wrap on the step basically locking them onto the saddle.

i'll check, i'm guessing too big, good idea though

i don't use my molle for anything else, so i could possibly use elastic paracord between loops and then slide them inside that larger, stretchy loop

Updated version of the bandolier. This one is sized for M16 mags but it looks like a straightforward DIY project, with a dozen pockets sized just right.

Updated version of the bandolier. This one is sized for M16 mags but it looks like a straightforward DIY project, with a dozen pockets sized just right.
Boom. Keep them all in reach in front of you.

Following. I ordered some for private land presets without the pouch as im over dump pouches. Im making up 2 things that holds 6 steps individually thats easy to un/holster each step. These can un/clip into the strap of your saddle or wherever.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Following. I ordered some for private land presets without the pouch as im over dump pouches. Im making up 2 things that holds 6 steps individually thats easy to un/holster each step. These can un/clip into the strap of your saddle or wherever.

let me know what you figure out, thanks

Imagine you could get pretty creative with 1” heat shrink tubing.
Or a rattle can of rubberized undercoating might fit.

I’m just starting to compare Pioneers vs my Treehopper ROS and as a climbing method. After reading about your and a few other members feedback on these I picked up a set of 6 on sale.

Imagine you could get pretty creative with 1” heat shrink tubing.
Or a rattle can of rubberized undercoating might fit.

I’m just starting to compare Pioneers vs my Treehopper ROS and as a climbing method. After reading about your and a few other members feedback on these I picked up a set of 6 on sale.

the rubberized undercoating i tried on a treestand was soft and rubbed right off pretty fast anywhere contact was made repeatedly

any coating or brand recommended? plastidip is too soft also

i'd love to find something similar to rattle can bedliner but without the grit they put in all of them now (miss the original duplicolor one that wasn't rough)

Could you make a sleeve for them? Could you cut a piece of mil webbing and slide that over each step?

Daisy chain as in a daisy with a buckle?

the rubberized undercoating i tried on a treestand was soft and rubbed right off pretty fast anywhere contact was made repeatedly

any coating or brand recommended? plastidip is too soft also

i'd love to find something similar to rattle can bedliner but without the grit they put in all of them now (miss the original duplicolor one that wasn't rough)
I’ll report back after I’ve used them a bit. I already gave them a coat but I’m dubious on durability and will likely wrap them

nah, the infamous daisy chain trucker hitch method....no metal need apply, beside the step

Where is the link to that method? The search function os horrid here

I would definitely use bolts for private land presets if you haven’t tried them they are a fraction of the cost and way better than any rope step.

Back