• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Key Gear Item

PAhunter90

Jan 28, 2018
Thought I’d share my completed whitetail kill kit. Light and compact and everything I need to quarter a deer in the field to pack out. First time I have consolidated everything into one spot and not in 10 different places in my pack. This will definitely speed up the process and I recommend y’all give it some thought.
fe5b9d49aaf8d79d1cc4d5cb0ce0b43c.jpg

skell

Staff member
SH Member
Oct 25, 2016
Iowa
X2. I'd love to see a list of what you all included

PAhunter90

Jan 28, 2018
-assorted bandaids
-alcohol wipes/wet wipes
-Arm length gloves (if I don’t do gutless method)
-6 havalon blades
-havalon knife
-zip ties
- vet wrap
-extra zip locs(keep phone dry in rain)
-licenses and tags
-bag of latex gloves
-trashbag
d77c5f88f3607fe2dedc368820ebb80e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: d_rek

Gr33n Arrow

May 10, 2015
-assorted bandaids
-alcohol wipes/wet wipes
-Arm length gloves (if I don’t do gutless method)
-6 havalon blades
-havalon knife
-zip ties
- vet wrap
-extra zip locs(keep phone dry in rain)
-licenses and tags
-bag of latex gloves
-trashbag
d77c5f88f3607fe2dedc368820ebb80e.jpg

Thank you for breaking this down. Must admit that I pack everything, just not nearly as organized. Is that a toiletry bag you are using to organize?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PAhunter90

Jan 28, 2018
Yea I used to have stuff all over the place and trying to organize better to speed things up. It’s actually an old safety kit I found that works perfectly

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
First aid kit for me goes into the list of things I started carrying but quickly started leaving it out of the pack, lol. I know that isn't the right answer but I have a tendency to overpack and eventually I had had enough and just started with the minimums. I like this idea, might have to consider something similar. I carry all of my field dressing stuff in a gallon ziplock bag. With a few extra gallon ziplocks for the organs.

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
All that stuff stays in the truck. Apart from hunting gear (grunts, rattle bag, range finder, etc.) I carry a kill kit with gloves, 550 cord, zip ties, plastic bags, and a havalon knife with 2 replacement blades. I try to be as light as possible.

Reactions: Allegheny Tom

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
Oct 8, 2016
Wisconsin
Are all the gloves for cleanliness? I thought I heard something about preventing diseases or something once. Are there really any confirmed cases of someone getting sick from cleaning animals?

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
Are all the gloves for cleanliness? I thought I heard something about preventing diseases or something once. Are there really any confirmed cases of someone getting sick from cleaning animals?
They are always a good idea. I have had flu like symptoms twice after cleaning wild hogs without gloves. That’s like twice out of maybe 50 hogs both times the hogs came from the same area of Florida. Could have been a coincidence. If you talk to @Boudreaux he will have you in a hazmat suit next time you clean something.

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Oct 12, 2017
Where the skys are so blue!
Brucellosis and tuberculosis is fairly well documented in feral hogs. But for deer yes, it's mostly a matter of cleanliness.

Stump06

Jan 15, 2018
SE GA

Skinning critters at the house I don't use them but I do use them to help keep my hands clean in the field. Its just easier.

Reactions: Wirrex and BigAl

donnieballgame

May 31, 2017
Ok, that makes sense.

My “kill kit” is an Esee Izula and some grass to wipe my hands. That’s about it.

9745de01c6ef68ae593fabc1c9fe8ab4.jpg
You just throw the heart, liver and kidneys in your pockets?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cb750

Nov 18, 2017
SWO
I've got a good buddy that is apparently allergic to deer dander. Which kind sucks for him because he is a dam good hunter. But he uses the arm length gloves to prevent the reaction on his skin.

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
Oct 8, 2016
Wisconsin
I've got a good buddy that is apparently allergic to deer dander. Which kind sucks for him because he is a dam good hunter. But he uses the arm length gloves to prevent the reaction on his skin.

That’s funny, I have a good buddy who is highly allergic to fish. All he does is fish for salmon and trout. He even worked on a charter for a long time.

Reactions: cb750