• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Knaider /Swaider stick users

tider

Do most of you attach your webbing/Amsteel , etc. over the top of the stick or girth hitch it at the bottom for the attachment point?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a pretty good method worked out I think.

For The Swaider , I have a piece of tubular webbing that I drape over the top step of the climbing stick. It hangs down to just above the bottom step of the stick. Once I lift up and connect my carabiner to the webbing , I lock the carabiner. I leave the webbing attached to the biner and just move it to the top of the each stick as I climb. I use the webbing to help lift my knee up high.

For the knaider , I use a long piece of prussic chord slightly longer then the webbing. I attach it to the top of the steps as well.
After I climb the first stick, I remove the prussic chord and put it around my neck and carry it up as I go.

The hook on the knaider grabs the prussic very well when loaded, and I’m not concerned with it coming off. Very easy to connect going up and down. I use my hand to help guide the hook onto the chord.

I've girth hitched prussic cord around the stick to clip/hook to. I might have to give your method a shot though. Having to unhook the carabiner by hand is a little cumbersome, yours might be easier.

I’ve got a pretty good method worked out I think.

For The Swaider , I have a piece of tubular webbing that I drape over the top step of the climbing stick. It hangs down to just above the bottom step of the stick. Once I lift up and connect my carabiner to the webbing , I lock the carabiner. I leave the webbing attached to the biner and just move it to the top of the each stick as I climb. I use the webbing to help lift my knee up high.

For the knaider , I use a long piece of prussic chord slightly longer then the webbing. I attach it to the top of the steps as well.
After I climb the first stick, I remove the prussic chord and put it around my neck and carry it up as I go.

The hook on the knaider grabs the prussic very well when loaded, and I’m not concerned with it coming off. Very easy to connect going up and down. I use my hand to help guide the hook onto the chord.

could just build long sw/kn that would reach up to the top of the stick and not have to worry about clip/hooking at all. Wonder if you could make loops at the end to go over the top of the stick and then connect the two with shock cord to go over your shoulders so you don't have to worry about hanging on to them...

Just build a moveable one or two step aider if you're not going to hook your knaider/swaider to the bottom of each stick. Sort of defeats the purpose if you're moving or hanging things from the tops of sticks. Much simpler!

Just build a moveable one or two step aider if you're not going to hook your knaider/swaider to the bottom of each stick. Sort of defeats the purpose if you're moving or hanging things from the tops of sticks. Much simpler!

I've been able to experiment a little this morning and made basically a hybrid of a swaider and a single step aider that just hooks over the top. For me it'll work better. It saves the complication of trying to hit a hanging aider in the dark since it's strapped to my foot and I don't have to reach down and unhook a carabiner. And it eliminates any metal. With my lone wolf sticks I only need one step anyway, I can't get them high enough to need 2.

I wouldn't change anything for using the sw/kn method with stepps, IMO the technique isn't as clean with sticks.

Apologies to @tider for hijacking his thread.

Ha Ha. No problem.

I like this system (Knaider /Swaider ) , but I’m gonna play with a 1 or 2 step moveable aider . In conjunction with your lineman’s rope. I believe this might be a simpler option. Simplest is usually best and most repeatable.

I can get to 20 feet with 3 sticks with the Kn/Sw. it will be interesting to see the height on 3 sticks with the aider only.

The use of the lineman’s rope is the big difference that I’ve picked up on this year. When I used aiders in the past , it was without a lineman’s rope. It was way too unstable, but When u lean back into your lineman’s rope , it really locks you in.

I basically added about 40” to a knaider, got rid of the hook and moved my shock cord and biner over and now have either a long swaider or an aider fixed to my foot. I like it better as it eliminates having to reach down and unhook a carabiner and I don’t have to worry about hitting the aider in the dark. Best of both techniques for me. I’d post pics but it’s saying they’re too large. I only need one step as I can’t set my uncut LW sticks any higher than about 7’ top step.

Maybe I’m reinventing the square wheel, but this seems to work for me. Thanks for throwing your idea out there, I wasn’t overly comfortable with the basic swaider or original aider options. I can easily get to 20’ with 3 sticks now. Most of my sets aren’t that high anyway.

I have uncut lone wolfs as well. So you only have a Swaider now and moved it over to your right leg and ditched the knaider?

Are you still using the caribiner?

I basically added about 40” to a knaider, got rid of the hook and moved my shock cord and biner over and now have either a long swaider or an aider fixed to my foot. I like it better as it eliminates having to reach down and unhook a carabiner and I don’t have to worry about hitting the aider in the dark. Best of both techniques for me. I’d post pics but it’s saying they’re too large. I only need one step as I can’t set my uncut LW sticks any higher than about 7’ top step.

Maybe I’m reinventing the square wheel, but this seems to work for me. Thanks for throwing your idea out there, I wasn’t overly comfortable with the basic swaider or original aider options. I can easily get to 20’ with 3 sticks now. Most of my sets aren’t that high anyway.

I’ll freely admit I don’t follow the threads on the aiders as close as I should - but I don’t reach down to undo my swaider. When I hook into the knaider and step up, the stepp is right in front of my waist, and I unhook before moving lineman’s and stepping up with swaider foot. I wouldn’t even consider thenmethod if I had to step up with both feet then reach down and unclip.

I have uncut lone wolfs as well. So you only have a Swaider now and moved it over to your right leg and ditched the knaider?

Are you still using the caribiner?

I still run the swaider on my left, but could be used on either foot. The only biner is on the shock cord to keep the loop within reach while unhooked. The loop I made is tied to the top of my swaider.

Wish I could insert pics...

I’ll freely admit I don’t follow the threads on the aiders as close as I should - but I don’t reach down to undo my swaider. When I hook into the knaider and step up, the stepp is right in front of my waist, and I unhook before moving lineman’s and stepping up with swaider foot. I wouldn’t even consider thenmethod if I had to step up with both feet then reach down and unclip.
Isn’t your knaider hook at knee height? You still have to reach down a bit. What I’m doing keeps my looping operations at or above shoulder height (give or take). What I’m doing gives the benefit of a moveable single step aider and the security of swaider.

Isn’t your knaider hook at knee height? You still have to reach down a bit. What I’m doing keeps my looping operations at or above shoulder height (give or take). What I’m doing gives the benefit of a moveable single step aider and the security of swaider.

That sounds like a winner for you. When I hook the knee aider on, it's at chest height. I reposition lineman's, put weight on that aider, and the other comes loose at waist height, I unclip and step up.

That sounds like a winner for you. When I hook the knee aider on, it's at chest height. I reposition lineman's, put weight on that aider, and the other comes loose at waist height, I unclip and step up.
Yeah and it’s a bit of a different application between stepps and an uncut stick. Whatever works.

Finally resized. Maybe what I’m doing has been done before and I missed it.

Attachments

• 4700126D-8F65-4C52-9467-1E3750E5989A.jpeg
    4700126D-8F65-4C52-9467-1E3750E5989A.jpeg
    720.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 7A1CCAF4-2F43-49EB-BEFE-AB33CF8CEB9C.jpeg
    7A1CCAF4-2F43-49EB-BEFE-AB33CF8CEB9C.jpeg
    788.9 KB · Views: 69
Back