• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Last minute

Cjw2

Just want to open a discussion for people to share a few thoughts on last minute things they are remembering to put together or include in their kit for bow season. Could be anything hunting related or saddle related. Maybe some things to remind people of that might not get a lot of attention or last minute ideas or things you are trying out.
I’ll start,
This year I’m going to make it a priority to always have a backup headlamp or two. With extra batteries. Last minute thing I took care of today was getting all of my knives sharpened and ready to go for the field and for at home butchering

…and go!

Sharpen all knives, treat any early season clothes with permethrin. Buy a completely different climbing method or saddle that I don't need and will really screw up my first few hunts with the new learning curve. I know the last one doesn't make any sense, but I sure do it every year. This year I just bought the Half-line system from NY saddle hunter last week, last year it was the JX3.

A lot of great suggestions so far!! I’m kind of anal so take some of these things with a grain of salt.

1. Spin test each broadhead on each shaft to make sure there is no wobble. Sharpen them up if you’ve been practicing with them.

2. Wax bowstring and cables not covered with serving.

3. Stealth strip or gorilla tape your bow sight window, underneath your sight scope housing (especially helps with quieting let downs), stabilizer ends, back bar ends, etc. Anything you could potentially “tink” on with an arrow or your release aid. An errant release aide can. Easily ruin your hunt if it clinks or rinks on something metallic.

4. Boot squeak issues if you’re a rubber boot guy or gal or you have exposed sticks or platforms. Wet boot soles on metal or aluminum platforms or stick steps can beequivalent to a human voice in the deer woods. Anything unnatural sounding.

5. Be sure to stow a pair or three of “touching” gloves to wear in and out of your setups to minimize human scent. I like the thin neoprene or rubber coated “work” gloves. I like to carry several sets as one pair gets wet etc. I can change them out. These wash easily too.

6. Kill Kit double check: Knife and sharpener, tags, three pens with indelible ink, zip ties, latex gloves, wipes and more wipes.

A lot of great suggestions so far!! I’m kind of anal so take some of these things with a grain of salt.

1. Spin test each broadhead on each shaft to make sure there is no wobble. Sharpen them up if you’ve been practicing with them.

2. Wax bowstring and cables not covered with serving.

3. Stealth strip or gorilla tape your bow sight window, underneath your sight scope housing (especially helps with quieting let downs), stabilizer ends, back bar ends, etc. Anything you could potentially “tink” on with an arrow or your release aid. An errant release aide can. Easily ruin your hunt if it clinks or rinks on something metallic.

4. Boot squeak issues if you’re a rubber boot guy or gal or you have exposed sticks or platforms. Wet boot soles on metal or aluminum platforms or stick steps can beequivalent to a human voice in the deer woods. Anything unnatural sounding.

5. Be sure to stow a pair or three of “touching” gloves to wear in and out of your setups to minimize human scent. I like the thin neoprene or rubber coated “work” gloves. I like to carry several sets as one pair gets wet etc. I can change them out. These wash easily too.

6. Kill Kit double check: Knife and sharpener, tags, three pens with indelible ink, zip ties, latex gloves, wipes and more wipes.
Got a good pen you use? I know that’s an odd request but I’ll be darned if I don’t struggle to have a working pen in odd conditions.

Got a good pen you use? I know that’s an odd request but I’ll be darned if I don’t struggle to have a working pen in odd conditions.
Not a strange request at all! I’m always on the look out for a good pen. I think bic used to make a pen called the power tank that could write upside down that thing was excellent and never froze but I lost them. These paper mates we use at our PD seem to be pretty good. IMG_4269.jpeg

Stash an extra roll of TP in the truck.
First aid kit.
Ditch the caveman butt rags and join the club of the hygienic booty hole, where wet wipes aren’t just for babies but also for the stalwart outdoorsman, and we carry a ziploc to dispose of them.

Secure access to a game cart/deer drag/jet sled/ATV/homie with a truck. My golf cart and Tacoma have been called upon more than once by buddies who haven’t thought about how to get their deer out of the woods or to the butcher.

Ditch the caveman butt rags and join the club of the hygienic booty hole, where wet wipes aren’t just for babies but also for the stalwart outdoorsman, and we carry a ziploc to dispose of them.
Maybe someone should figure out how to make a nitrile glove with a acorn scented dude wipe palm side overlay so you could wipe and peel off into a ziplock.

Maybe someone should figure out how to make a nitrile glove with a acorn scented dude wipe palm side overlay so you could wipe and peel off into a ziplock.
Just soak them in walnut juice before you use them. Scent eliminator and as a bonus it can double as face paint. See, saving you ounces. Your welcome.

Just soak them in walnut juice before you use them. Scent eliminator and as a bonus it can double as face paint. See, saving you ounces. Your welcome.

Soak them in walnut juice and you won't have to worry about your butt reflecting light and scaring the deer AND it'll help hide anything you may have missed hahaha!

Not really a last minute addition, but good "before first hunt/before all hunts" small checklist:
Double check you have all the right license/tags/wma/land permits and such, paper copies in a ziploc if needed.

Arrows: Verify broadheads are on tight and sharp, bend arrows and check fletchings.

Bow: make sure everything's snugged down and release is buckled around riser (I shoot a wrist release)

Charge headlamp.

Water, food, FAK, kill kit.

Quick inventory of whatever climbing/hunting setup I'm using (Ros vs platform etc).

If someone didn’t already write this, don’t forget to shoot your bow. Now, last minute, first minute, all season. One good arrow before a hunt can really start the day off right. I never used to shoot my bow during season more than once a week, now I shoot almost every day at least one arrow. Just helps with the jitters for me personally.

Back