• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Layering when on stand

Cajunyankee

SH Member
I am curious how everyone else goes about layering up when on stand. I tend to use bibs when it gets really cold out and have tried several different things but still don’t have a preferred method. I like to get to my tree and get setup (hang platform) and then wait 15-20 mins to cool down before layering up. Using a Predator XL, sticks with multiple step aiders.

1) I have tried standing on the platform but struggling with putting bibs on unless I remove my boots. Also if you take your boots off there is a potential of dropping one.

2) last year I mostly climbed down and got dressed. It worked but added more potential for noise and extra movement.

I am really thinking about adding full length zippers to my bibs so that I can get dress easier while standing on the platform.

Is there an easier way or something that has worked for you?

I usually wear my full layer on the bottom and then a T shirt or a Cold Gear base layer on top and then dress my upper body after i get set up and cool down a bit. I find that wind proof layers really help to keep warm without a lot of bulk. That said, temps don't usually get past 20 degrees but we have humidity which makes it feel colder and we do get a good bit of wind.

I always carried a army or wool blanket in my pack. If I get cold pull it out and throw it around me. If I get warm just let it hang off the stand.

Other benefits of the blanket are
1.) Conceals your human outline
2.) If hanging off the stand makes it completely silent when standing up
3.) If not in stand but sitting on the ground it's a sweet butt cushion.
4.) Bungie it to back of your stand for a super nice back pad

It does add some bulk and weight, but for me it's well worth it when doing all day sits. I've never had to leave the woods early because I was cold.

Last edited:
I am curious how everyone else goes about layering up when on stand. I tend to use bibs when it gets really cold out and have tried several different things but still don’t have a preferred method. I like to get to my tree and get setup (hang platform) and then wait 15-20 mins to cool down before layering up. Using a Predator XL, sticks with multiple step aiders.

1) I have tried standing on the platform but struggling with putting bibs on unless I remove my boots. Also if you take your boots off there is a potential of dropping one.

2) last year I mostly climbed down and got dressed. It worked but added more potential for noise and extra movement.

I am really thinking about adding full length zippers to my bibs so that I can get dress easier while standing on the platform.

Is there an easier way or something that has worked for you?

I go right over my bibs. I have very light bibs also (camo overalls) and layer over them or over mid weight bibs. I have heavy bibs but never wear them because they are sweat boxes walking in.

Here's what I do. For a very light layer, oversized (I wear L usually but XL for this) fleece camo pajamas will pull right over your boots and up over your saddle (only bridge loops stick out between jacket and PJs) and you still have the benefits of bibs. If it is really cold, I have KUIU down pants (thickest ones) which have a full length, detachable zipper (you can put it on like a diaper without removing boots....sides can come completely undone, that's what I mean by detachable). They are big enough that I can go over my saddle. It would be slightly better to have these layers inside the bibs. But this works really well and is just so much quicker and easier.

The only thing I take off in the saddle is my jacket. I do layer under it because it is so easy compared to bottom layers.

Pulling layers over bibs and over your saddle works way better than it sounds. Then you just tuck everything as best you can.

Walk in wearing a t shirt and base layer pants. Dress pants/bibs at the base of the tree. Once I cool down in the saddle I dress the rest of the way jacket/vest.

I hate to be that guy but I do feel like higher end clothes help. Mainly help the fact I wear a layer or two even when it’s really cold. Saves some time, room. Also I hated the feeling of wearing 7 layers and yes I’ve worn 7 layers

Walk in wearing a t shirt and base layer pants. Dress pants/bibs at the base of the tree. Once I cool down in the saddle I dress the rest of the way jacket/vest.

I hate to be that guy but I do feel like higher end clothes help. Mainly help the fact I wear a layer or two even when it’s really cold. Saves some time, room. Also I hated the feeling of wearing 7 layers and yes I’ve worn 7 layers

i think the type of insulation matters more than anything (sitka doesn't have any materials other folks can't use). if it's high loft goose down, it's gonna be super warm.

i do remember trying to stay warm off what i could buy myself mowing grass in high school. my limited budget and lack of knowledge meant i was cold all the time.

i think the type of insulation matters more than anything (sitka doesn't have any materials other folks can't use). if it's high loft goose down, it's gonna be super warm.

i do remember trying to stay warm off what i could buy myself mowing grass in high school. my limited budget and lack of knowledge meant i was cold all the time.
Oh yea for sure, I’m not really brand specific. I just buy stuff used. That’s how I was! Using 7-8 layers of T-shirt’s and sweatshirts trying to stay warm and didn’t work too well.

What do u mean by “ Sitka doesn’t have material other folks can’t use?

Oh yea for sure, I’m not really brand specific. I just buy stuff used. That’s how I was! Using 7-8 layers of T-shirt’s and sweatshirts trying to stay warm and didn’t work too well.

What do u mean by “ Sitka doesn’t have material other folks can’t use?

hey man, i used to wear 20 tank tops...i remember those rich kids with sweaters..... ;)

as far as my thing about sitka, it wasn't really specific to them

but the first time i thought of that was with jeff sturgis (youtuber that was sponsored by sitka)

he would say in his videos that you can wear all you layers in for a 0 degree hunt and walk miles in it and if it was sitka you wouldn't sweat

we talked about it and he was insistent

if you look at most of the top brands, it's usually just wool, polyester, polypropylene, primaloft, fleece, gore tex, goose down, etc

but how it is put together is different (sorta like mexican food....same ingredients but different shape)

so, you can get improved performance by the design, but if two garments from different makers have the same basic materials then they will be similar, that's all

a lot of times, i prefer hiking brands because they go on sale and they sell so many that they don't have to have the same margins.....a 200 dollar jacket from helly hansen is probably as nice as a 300 or 400 dollar jacket from a hunting brand...and that helly hansen might pop up on sierra trading post for 75 bucks if you look out

When cold enough for bibs, I wear them in with just my base layer (maybe a thin hoodie as well) on top. I open my bibs all the way on the sides with zippers and take my time walking in so I don't get to warm. After setting up I sit as is until I start to truly cool down and then I'll zip up bibs and/or add layer (s) on top. I also won't wear a beanie when walking in to help keep me from getting too warm.

I always carried a army or wool blanket in my pack. If I get cold pull it out and throw it around me. If I get warm just let it hang off the stand.

Other benefits of the blanket are
1.) Conceals your human outline
2.) If hanging off the stand makes it completely silent when standing up
3.) If not in stand but sitting on the ground it's a sweet butt cushion.
4.) Bungie it to back of your stand for a super nice back pad

It does add some bulk and weight, but for me it's well worth it when doing all day sits. I've never had to leave the woods early because I was cold.

I’ve contemplated carrying my wool blanket up a tree as well. I’ve definitely taken a blanket / sheepskin to a ground blind when the temps get down below single digits. But what do you do with the blanket if you have a shot opportunity?

And for the record, we should qualify what we mean by cold… are we talking Mississippi cold or Maine cold?

Last edited:
Another tip. Also I bought a heated vest
I’ve contemplated carrying my wool blanket up a tree as well. I’ve definitely taken a blanket / sheepskin to a ground blind when the temps get down below single digits. But what do you do with the blanket if you have a shot opportunity?
Most of the time when I'm in a stand I'm sitting. So when I see a deer everything is in slow motion - meaning ease the blanket to my lap and raise or retrieve my weapon. If I'm standing the blanket is just draped over the stand in some fashion. I must mention all the stands I've owned have some sort of shooting or foot rest, so it's not an 'open' stand like an XOP or beast stand. However from a sitting position those 'open' stands wouldn't be much of an issue either.

I just start of cold going to my stand. I’ll start off in my pants no base layers with vents open all the way and a 150 weight top is it. That way I can stop wipe down and put in my clothes. Zip off base layer and down pants, change out my top for a dry one. Then layer up. By the time you get there your pretty froze. By the time I put on my clothes and climb up I’m warm and ready to sit. I also use body warmers one over my heart and I use the toastie toe and insoles and boot blankets. I use down jacket and pants allot. I prefer fleece and synthetic puffy mid layers.

I just start of cold going to my stand. I’ll start off in my pants no base layers with vents open all the way and a 150 weight top is it. That way I can stop wipe down and put in my clothes. Zip off base layer and down pants, change out my top for a dry one. Then layer up. By the time you get there your pretty froze. By the time I put on my clothes and climb up I’m warm and ready to sit. I also use body warmers one over my heart and I use the toastie toe and insoles and boot blankets. I use down jacket and pants allot. I prefer fleece and synthetic puffy mid layers.

try a hot hands adhesive body warmer in each arm pit kind of low over the kidney but high enough that you can squeeze them into you with your arms

Find a way to use less layers. Chemical heat pads in the chest pocket of a shirt did quite a bit for me. I also cut up some wool socks to put over the toe of my boot and throw warmers in there too. That’s what I’ve found works best for me down to -15 or so depending on wind chill.

i've worn up to 5 adhesive body warmers on my top base layer at a time

i usually have extra, so why not if sitting in the cold?

try a hot hands adhesive body warmer in each arm pit kind of low over the kidney but high enough that you can squeeze them into you with your arms
I never got cold one time last year. Of course the coldest days were between 12-15*. I’ll definitely keep it in mind.

i've worn up to 5 adhesive body warmers on my top base layer at a time

i usually have extra, so why not if sitting in the cold?
Oh yeah, these are clutch and let you carry less layers. I don’t use the adhesive ones, I use these large ones and safety pin two to the front of my base layer on my chest and a couple more in my coat pockets. When it warms up or the hunt is over, I put them in a zip lock bag, squeeze all the air out and seal them up. I can easily get 2 or three sits out of them so the cost is less than $1 a day.

Attachments

• 1D528EF1-D9F3-4A7A-A4F0-31DAE25D321B.jpeg
    1D528EF1-D9F3-4A7A-A4F0-31DAE25D321B.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 9
Back