• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Length of Prusik/Blake's Hitch?

justsomedude

I have an Aerohunter
I made my own Tree Strap but am using NewTribe's Blake's Hitch Rope and my Rope Bridge is tied to full length with a Blake's Hitch attached to it for adjustment.

Some NewTribe photos I have seen have the Tree Strap installed very high (higher than you could reach from your platform).
What angle are your legs at when you sit back in your saddle?

How long is your Bridge (I think there have been a few versions)?

When I set my Treestrap as high as I can and push my Blake's Hitch up all the way, my Bridge/Hitch is too long.
I compensate by shortening my Bridge.
I can tie up my Blake's Hitch Shorter (a few inches) but am I missing out on something if I do?

I have read that having the Tree Strap longer makes it easier to get around the Tree and keeping your Bridge longer is more comfortable.
SO far in my setups, I haven't needed a full 360 access but I know it'll come up eventually.

Did you ever come up with a good solution/compromise for the bridge? I use my climbing rope as a tree strap, but can't get my bridge exactly where I want it. I changed out bridge to thinner rope and tried a very short distel to adjust length, but the only small diameter cord I had was 850 lb paracord. It worked, but after a few adjustments the paracord got so tight I couldn't operate it one handed. I finally changed back to the BLAKE'S HITCH that came with it. I did reroute the blakes hitch and the bridge so it's just a little different. It's shorter and I can get the bridge to go really short while climbing. I still don't have the right setup for ease of operation one handed while maintaining maXimum adjustability. Here's a couple of pics off what I did so far.
This is what I tried first

This is what it looked like

This is what I have now, but still not satisfied

anYone have a better way to be able to go from a really short bRidge to a really long bridge one handed easily? I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Attachments

• 20150301_114536.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 384
  • Paracord distel bridge.jpg
    Paracord distel bridge.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 398
  • Blakes hitch rerouted.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 383
Making the blakes hitch out of the same rope new tribe uses works fine.
When it warms/dries up a bit I'm going to get my rig out again and reasses

The problem I had was that if I made the bridge short, I can't pivot around easily, and if I made it long enough to pivot, the Blake's hitch would hit the carabiner and stop me from pivoting very far. I could deal with it, and it wouldn't be so bad. It's not a serious problem, just more of an annoyance. Either way I adjusted the bridge, the Blake's hitch seems to be in the way. I'm still trying to come up with the right solution for me. Like I said, I could deal with it and leave it, but why would I? If I can find a suitable alternative, I'll be happier. If I can't, at least I tried. So far, I've tried different fiction hitches, tying the Blake's hitch short as possible, fixed position bridge in different lengths, and a rope man 1 to adjust length. I like the rope man, but I don't like the metal on metal noise.
The search continues...

Back