• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Let's see your setup!

boone0

First of all...I would post a pic of mine, but can't for two reasons: I don't have a good solution for carrying everything, and its all also torn apart in various stages of poison ivy decontamination!

So I am trying to come up with a solution for my mobile public land hunting setup. I need to be able to carry in all my gear, a bunch of layers (long walk in) and my climbing rope. I have searched around and I think I am going to sew up my own pack, but I was wondering what everyone else does.

I try to keep it minimalist and bring only what I will definitely use, but I still need a way to pack in a bunch of layers.

Looking for ideas. What do you guys use?

fc40cdb6458a044d240db82891c6f905.jpg
bc3201a5fc6f0f964777d867b508cefd.jpg
f81c712c282b348afb3abeaefcd531f4.jpg

This is new for me this year. It feels light and carries well over my saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the frame off an old Coleman peak one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fawnzy how is that rig when you are ducking through the woods, do you tend to hit low branches?

I am current working on my pack that i will be working with but that may change if i decide to get a pair of climbing sticks!

Hmm....where I'm taking it most of my hike in will be on trails and hard woods.
I won't be there until November so all the leaves will be down.
I'll have to wait to give a good report.

Thanks for posting fawnzy!

Like most things, I am sure I am making it too complicated. I just don't have a good solution yet, and can't spend the cash on an expensive bag.

Boone I'm not sure where you are or the camo you so you may need more layers. But you can lessin your layers with quality pieces of clothing. I too have long walks that start at the bottom and end on top. I used to cram my badlands sacrafice full now i have room left at times.

With your worries of packing it all. Tell us all the layers your needing and using

Yup, I have identified my outer layers as needing an upgrade for sure! But I can make these work for the season if I can spend <40 on a pack to haul it. It's just not feasible to upgrade the main pieces this year.

My base is merino wool long johns, poly pro top, merino wool sweater, and a fleece outer. As it gets colder I add more layers of fleece. My pants are polyester work cargo pants (****ies) that I usually walk in with because they're black, quiet and resist snags.

I carry my outer 2-3 layers. I have inexpensive bibs and jacket which are loud and heavy but do a decent job blocking wind.

I really need to add more wool to the line up and get a good quiet wind blocking outer layer, but until then I am stuck carting in a decent amount of clothing so I am not soaked by the time I get to 20 feet!

My setup for mobile is

Five strap steps
Four muddy sticks
Kuiu ultra 3000 which I'll likely go bigger soon
All of my packed layers are down or rain gear.

I switch between ultralight to mid weight and carry insulation. My base layers are wool or synthetic depending on temp.

With the bigger bag I'll have no problem carrying the saddle setup plus an entire camp. I can carry it all in the 3000 but it's tight.

Re:

boone0 said:
Yup, I have identified my outer layers as needing an upgrade for sure! But I can make these work for the season if I can spend <40 on a pack to haul it. It's just not feasible to upgrade the main pieces this year.

My base is merino wool long johns, poly pro top, merino wool sweater, and a fleece outer. As it gets colder I add more layers of fleece. My pants are polyester work cargo pants (****ies) that I usually walk in with because they're black, quiet and resist snags.

I carry my outer 2-3 layers. I have inexpensive bibs and jacket which are loud and heavy but do a decent job blocking wind.

I really need to add more wool to the line up and get a good quiet wind blocking outer layer, but until then I am stuck carting in a decent amount of clothing so I am not soaked by the time I get to 20 feet!

I'm always freezing for the first 5 minutes walking to my stand. Unless it's below freezing I only wear a base layer and a light weight outer layer to my stand. I'm going to post pics of my setup real soon. I've made some serious modifications to my LW sticks for this season.

Alotta mornings when it's 20degrees here I'll have on socks shoes pair of shorts and a t shirt with a hoodie over it. I'll walk till I get warm then I stop and peel of the hoodie. The t shirt soaks up my sweat till I get to where I wanna be. Then I take tshirt off dry myself of with I am put it in a gallon bag I take off my shorts change my underwear
Too. Then my socks. Then when I'm cooled Down after few mins I start laying up. On bottom. I will climb up get tied off with my Prussic and the sorts and then put my top on.

You saw my pack. I will also carry in a fleece sweater.
It's cold and dark when I go in so I wear only my long johns and only walk fast enough to not shiver. I'm there for 9 days, so I just give myself the extra time to walk without getting sweaty.
This will be my first year with the thermal cloak. I'm hoping it and the fleece will be enough. If not I'll use some pocket warmers.
If it works I'll have greatly reduced what I pack in.
I may even drop back to one ladder section and use the "one stick" climbing method for the longer hikes.

Thermal cloak? What's that?

To be clear: I only wear pants and base layer on the way in and don't walk fast enough to sweat very much. I also bring a change of socks sometimes. I wear the pants so I don't ruin my wool on snags.

It's like a heater body suit. It's made by slumberjack. The bottom is open so you can walk and climb. I moded mine to work with my bridge.

Oh, ok!

Although I would love to build my own pack, the season starts in a few days and I don't have a ton of free time. Maybe next year.

I am going to pick up a molle frame and straps, and I'll use it like fawnzy uses the Coleman frame. I am also going to sew up a panel similar to the Kifaru cargo panel. I think that will be the best solution for this season...we will see for next year.

I love posts like these...always cool to see others setups. Here is mine for when I use the areohunter.

Badlands 2200 Bag contents:
* Rope/petzl rig kit bag: 35 foot climbing rope, petzl rig, carabiners, and 6 step aider (sometimes i carry an ascender, micro pully, and foot loop...if I want to get down, I can just SRT back up)
* Aero hunter
* one muddy stick
* linesman rope for trees with branches
* Water
* bow hook
* lights (one headlamp and one high powered mini light (900 lumens :) for tracking)
* theramacell
* gloves and headcover/mask
* scentaway wipes
* knife
* saw
* TP for bio breaks and marking blood trails

I usually walk in/ride in with shorts and tee shirt and change near tree. Ill add outer clothes as necessary to the outside of the pack.

If on private land, I use the treehopper bolts and here is that kit bag i use:

You can see my public land hunting bike in the background. I just throw the pack on and ride in as far as I can and then walk the rest of the way. I either put my bow on the bow holder or attach it to my pack....I dont really like the bow on the handlebars.

Attachments

• public land one stick  aero.jpg
    public land one stick aero.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 204
  • contents of badlands.jpg
    contents of badlands.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 199
  • badlands 2200.jpg
    badlands 2200.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 30ft rope bag.jpg
    30ft rope bag.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 199
  • treehopper kit.jpg
    treehopper kit.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 198
  • treehopper inside kit.jpg
    treehopper inside kit.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 192
Got question from a member about why i dont like the bow on handle bars and thought id post it publically as well:

if you are just going to be riding down fire roads...it wont be a problem. Its when im on a trail/bike trail on public land that is tight/twisty and with logs to cross that I dont like the weight on the handle bars because it changes the way the steering feels. (Its not even much weight - I use a mathews helim)...Steering becomes twitchy. If i had the time, I would get rid of the shock and just put on a rigid fork. That would help some. Ive been mountain biking for 25 years...so it could be that I just have a hard time getting used to having that twitchy steering feel. Drives me nuts. Im also used to riding cannondales with a "lefty" front shock which imho is more rigid than standard shocks.

It works, i just prefer it being on my backpack if possible. I have seen some other connection methods..if you look around on the net you will find one that attaches some how to the back of the bike. I havent looked into it though.

One other thing is if you do go the handlebar route, I would consider putting a bike light on the handle bars. That is what I do. If you try and use just a headlamp on your head, the bow will block the light. At least for me it does.

One other thing I do sometimes, is I have a "bob Yak" trailer. That works great too. Then I just put my junk in the trailer.

Oh and if you get a deer, field dress it, and lash the deer to the bike. Bike seat goes into cavity of the deer and lash head to handle bars. Push the bike out...makes it a great way to get deer out.

Definitely took that basket off...that made the steering stupid.

Make sure you post pics of you bike setup!!

Attachments

• deerbike lg.jpg
    deerbike lg.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 183
halltrail said:
Got question from a member about why i dont like the bow on handle bars and thought id post it publically as well:

if you are just going to be riding down fire roads...it wont be a problem. Its when im on a trail/bike trail on public land that is tight/twisty and with logs to cross that I dont like the weight on the handle bars because it changes the way the steering feels. (Its not even much weight - I use a mathews helim)...Steering becomes twitchy. If i had the time, I would get rid of the shock and just put on a rigid fork. That would help some. Ive been mountain biking for 25 years...so it could be that I just have a hard time getting used to having that twitchy steering feel. Drives me nuts. Im also used to riding cannondales with a "lefty" front shock which imho is more rigid than standard shocks.

It works, i just prefer it being on my backpack if possible. I have seen some other connection methods..if you look around on the net you will find one that attaches some how to the back of the bike. I havent looked into it though.

One other thing is if you do go the handlebar route, I would consider putting a bike light on the handle bars. That is what I do. If you try and use just a headlamp on your head, the bow will block the light. At least for me it does.

One other thing I do sometimes, is I have a "bob Yak" trailer. That works great too. Then I just put my junk in the trailer.

Oh and if you get a deer, field dress it, and lash the deer to the bike. Bike seat goes into cavity of the deer and lash head to handle bars. Push the bike out...makes it a great way to get deer out.

Definitely took that basket off...that made the steering stupid.

Make sure you post pics of you bike setup!!

That is ingenious! I love it hahaha

Back