• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lifeline

Matt G.

I lost my tether a while back and the only solution I could come up with in a hurry was the HSS Lifeline. Rather than cut the rope, I left it intact and let the tag end dangle down.

After two years of saddle hunting, I've never got entirely comfortable with a linesmans belt, especially when transitioning on and off of my platform, in the dark, and in the cold.

As I was thinking about things while I was in the tree, it occurred to me that I'd feel a lot safer hanging from the lifeline as opposed to using the linesmans belt.
I have trees preset with with bolts, and I'm thinking that I'd feel a lot better about things if I preset trees with a lifeline system. I'm sure this isn't some new idea, and has been contemplated or used by many before.

So here's my question.......how big of an issue is it leaving my ropes in the elements? I have a couple dozen trees preset, and I'd have no problem spending the money to replace every season if that were necessary. Ideally I'd have all my trees set up by the middle of the summer, and remove them after the first of the year. I'm in Michigan, so we have a wide variety of temperatures, mid nineties in the summer, to below zero in the winter.

Or......would it not be advisable to leave rope in the tree exposed to the elements?

I’ve never used the lifeline, and I’m not a rope expert, but I thought the lifeline was designed to be left out for at least a full hunting season. I would think it would be fine, but encourage you to practice with the linesman’s belt. Also I never ever step off the sticks and on to the platform without first attaching my tether.

I’m doing it. I don’t have enough to go around, but I’m with you on this idea. I feel safe with the lineman’s, but it can be a pain going up big trees with lots of branches. Especially in the dark trying to be quiet.

I lost my tether a while back and the only solution I could come up with in a hurry was the HSS Lifeline. Rather than cut the rope, I left it intact and let the tag end dangle down.

After two years of saddle hunting, I've never got entirely comfortable with a linesmans belt, especially when transitioning on and off of my platform, in the dark, and in the cold.

As I was thinking about things while I was in the tree, it occurred to me that I'd feel a lot safer hanging from the lifeline as opposed to using the linesmans belt.
I have trees preset with with bolts, and I'm thinking that I'd feel a lot better about things if I preset trees with a lifeline system. I'm sure this isn't some new idea, and has been contemplated or used by many before.

So here's my question.......how big of an issue is it leaving my ropes in the elements? I have a couple dozen trees preset, and I'd have no problem spending the money to replace every season if that were necessary. Ideally I'd have all my trees set up by the middle of the summer, and remove them after the first of the year. I'm in Michigan, so we have a wide variety of temperatures, mid nineties in the summer, to below zero in the winter.

Or......would it not be advisable to leave rope in the tree exposed to the elements?
If you are serious about doing it you may want to look into using Marine Maureen lines

If you're thinking of You should look into Marines ropes like Nylon double braided docking and moorning line like the one from Teufelberger!

Why not preset paracord (like SRT) and carry the rope with you so you only need one and don’t have to worry about it being out all season?

That is exactly what I did last year with my pre set bolt set in 2 trees. I ended up using my linemen belt in the smaller tree with no branches just because I personally felt more stable with that belt to lean back in to. On the tree with multiple branches I just hooked to my life line only with a prussik knot. That tree took a little more energy because I had to balance my core body strength more. Otherwise it worked great having everything already set up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

On presets stands (non-saddle) I put up lifelines a few weeks before season and remove at the end. This way they are only out 5-6 months per year. Been doing that for many years and the ropes are still fine.

I used my life line for my cloths when my dryer whent out still seems fine even aftet laying on the deck for 7 months..and its 2 years old

Back