• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Linemans belt

Saddle9

Thinking of switching the original linemans belt for either climbing rope or amsteel rope. Thoughts from the group, pros and cons?

I am using 11mm Ultratech from pyacht.com! What kind of belt are you using? I run my belt with one figure 8 on a bight/biner and the other end ropeman1 for adjustablity. There are many options out there for ropes yale bandit, bluewater assault, htp superstatic, and im sure there are more this is all that I have had experience with.

The ropeman is the way to go for a rope linesmans belt.
I went with a 9mm Bluewater rope and tied
It like a spare tether.

It is but there are several people here that are using it with thinner ropes on their tether.
It holds my Bluewater 9mm without slipping or crushing it. I have only used it as a tether for brief testing. But as a LB I am confident with it.

I'm pretty sure the ropeman1 is only spec'ed for 10-13 mm ropes...

It is but there are several people here that are using it with thinner ropes on their tether.
It holds my Bluewater 9mm without slipping or crushing it. I have only used it as a tether for brief testing. But as a LB I am confident with it.

Just wanted to make sure ppl are aware of it before they shell out the money and realize after delivery :) It's all about personal comfort level I guess.

I'm fairly confident it's fine on thinner ropes; actually ran it on a 8 mm rope as a lineman's belt for a short while, but then decided to go back to 10 mm ropes when I started to double my LBs as tethers. Just had a creepy feeling hanging off that 8mm rope for hours while having the 10-13 mm stamping right in front of my face the whole time :)

I was using 9.5mm and didn't realize it. Some folks are using thinner and haven't had issues.
When I decided to upgrade my ropes I went with 10mm to stay in spec for piece of mind. Doesn't weigh or cost much more. Actually weighs less than my rope per foot and realized I could get away with a shorter one anyway.

Agreed with all of the above. I'm an old lady when it comes to safety and staying within spec!
I only tried it on my 9mm as I was experimenting with a ground length 9mm tether. I also have a 30' Yale Bandit tether.

Back