• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Logging Blues

CharlieRayT

Sad to say that the owner of the 188 acre farm my brother and I look after passed away a couple months ago. His wife is having the property logged which has already started and it will inevitably be sold. My brother and I were given 2.5 acres on the back side of the property by the owners which is where we have our camp. Maybe by some stroke of luck we will still get to hunt the property after it is sold. My question to you guys is how do you think the logging will impact the deer on the property this year? It will I believe give the deer plenty of bedding cover but it will surely impact the deer. One good note is that a certain portion of the farm where I have seen several good deer and have killed a couple out of really doesn’t have any desirable timber. Hopefully the logger will leave it intact and the deer will have some sanctuary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes selective cutting. Thanks man.

A place I was hunting got logged 11/12 yrs ago. I wasn't there till the year after but it was a select cut and heard they didn't do very well that year but managed a few deer even with the logging going on during the season. In the subsequent years after the cut the hunting got very good with so much food and cover. Unfortunately they didn't do anything to maintain the property by either managing deer numbers or continuing to open up the forest floor to sunlight and now the hunting has gone back downhill. This year may be rough but if you can stay on the property it may well be a blessing.

I have been through it a few times. It changes patterns for sure but it can grow back thick and nasty in 2 seasons and become great bedding. If you get to keep hunting I would find out if they plan to replant the logged section. I have seen that done by burning and the lease I have now will be sprayed after the second season of growth so that more pines can be planted. If done right the hunting can still be great. All depends on what their plan is. Also good to know if the logging will be done in offseason. I have had logging start in November that sucked.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

We just went through it at our camp.
A lot of tops get left behind on the ground. It can make a quiet approach or departure difficult.
The first year it also caused a lot of visibility problems for the stump sitters, but a couple of years in the tops are flattening out.
Deer routes were affected but not hugely. I’m a gun hunter so a few yards isn’t a problem. For a bow hunter, you may have to adjust.

A chainsaw is a deers best friend! While some movement may alter a bit, your hunting will be better for it!

heard from the property owner of my lease that logging he told me about earlier may start on Oct 1. It's a 50 acre section too Sucks a big one -fortunately there are other great spots still but this will mess up our plans for sure this season.

I'm not sure what area of the country you live in but here in New England where we have vast expanses of mature forest the deer respond very positively to logging and I specifically target areas that have had recent cutting especially clearcuts over 10 acres; in fact in the winter the deer practically come to the sound of the chainsaw because with the tree tops on the ground there's a lot more preferred woody browse available for them. The increase in sunlight on the ground stimulates more green growth like blackberry and raspberry but it depends on how much they opened the canopy, if they didn't remove enough trees in an opening then you can get undesirable vegetation like ferns. The deer will adjust. The real question is the land under management by a professional forester or is it just getting cut by a logger because the long term outcomes can be quite different. I cringe when I hear the term selective cut which isn't a forest management or silvicultural practice, it typically means loggers choice or whats called a high grade which is taking the most valuable trees and leaving the worthless trees w/no concern over improving the health of the forest, wildlife habitat or trying to regenerate trees like oak and maple. Now I hunt a property that was high graded and all they left was crooked and deformed trees that I couldn't put my climbing stand in to save my life but they opened up the canopy in large enough areas to create a lot of new growth and its a deer magnet but the landowner will never be able to do another timber sale on the property in his lifetime or mine because he liquidated all the value in it. So the habitat benefits will only last another 5-10 years, now if it was professionally managed by a forester they would have left some good trees and could have been able to continue the habitat benefits through periodic timber sales indefinitely. Sorry for the rant but I can't preach enough that landowners need to hire a licensed consulting forester if they want to do a timber sale. I've seen too many properties get ruined and landowners get ripped off because they didn't go to a professional w/an education and experience in understanding how to manage forests for what the landowner wants. There are many good loggers out there but they are not a forester, big difference, if anyone's interested here's a good document to explain the two and how their roles are different https://masswoods.org/sites/masswoods.org/files/pdf-doc-ppt/foresters_care_your_land_web.pdf

I'm not sure what area of the country you live in but here in New England where we have vast expanses of mature forest the deer respond very positively to logging and I specifically target areas that have had recent cutting especially clearcuts over 10 acres; in fact in the winter the deer practically come to the sound of the chainsaw because with the tree tops on the ground there's a lot more preferred woody browse available for them. The increase in sunlight on the ground stimulates more green growth like blackberry and raspberry but it depends on how much they opened the canopy, if they didn't remove enough trees in an opening then you can get undesirable vegetation like ferns. The deer will adjust. The real question is the land under management by a professional forester or is it just getting cut by a logger because the long term outcomes can be quite different. I cringe when I hear the term selective cut which isn't a forest management or silvicultural practice, it typically means loggers choice or whats called a high grade which is taking the most valuable trees and leaving the worthless trees w/no concern over improving the health of the forest, wildlife habitat or trying to regenerate trees like oak and maple. Now I hunt a property that was high graded and all they left was crooked and deformed trees that I couldn't put my climbing stand in to save my life but they opened up the canopy in large enough areas to create a lot of new growth and its a deer magnet but the landowner will never be able to do another timber sale on the property in his lifetime or mine because he liquidated all the value in it. So the habitat benefits will only last another 5-10 years, now if it was professionally managed by a forester they would have left some good trees and could have been able to continue the habitat benefits through periodic timber sales indefinitely. Sorry for the rant but I can't preach enough that landowners need to hire a licensed consulting forester if they want to do a timber sale. I've seen too many properties get ruined and landowners get ripped off because they didn't go to a professional w/an education and experience in understanding how to manage forests for what the landowner wants. There are many good loggers out there but they are not a forester, big difference, if anyone's interested here's a good document to explain the two and how their roles are different https://masswoods.org/sites/masswoods.org/files/pdf-doc-ppt/foresters_care_your_land_web.pdf

Interesting you posted this. I’m interviewing forestry consultants now for the property I just purchased to avoid these scenarios.

Interesting you posted this. I’m interviewing forestry consultants now for the property I just purchased to avoid these scenarios.

Thats good to hear that you’re being proactive and getting professional assistance. There’s actually a ton of money out there from state and federal sources to help cover the costs of getting a forest management plan and doing habitat improvements

Back