• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

lone wolf hand climber users

Bubbz00

Just wondering who all uses a lone wolf hand climber with saddle. What are pros/cons. here in northern Wisconsin most our trees are straight pines and Popple trees that are usually limbless for 20-25 feet. I’m just thinking this would be a beneficial option being it would be much less to carry.

Pros probably the lightest mobile set there is because it a climbing method and platform in one and fairly quick too. Cons limb tree are harder to climb I’ve done it with a rock climbing aider to pass branches but it is a pain. There a guy on YouTube who give a very good demonstration I think it’s call climbing without sticks. FYI I have one for sale in the classified

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pros probably the lightest mobile set there is because it a climbing method and platform in one and fairly quick too. Cons limb tree are harder to climb I’ve done it with a rock climbing aider to pass branches but it is a pain. There a guy on YouTube who give a very good demonstration I think it’s call climbing without sticks. FYI I have one for sale in the classified

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I watched that video and he made it look quite easy. That’s why I thought it would be a great option for the area I hunt. I did not see yours for sale in the classifieds. I’ll look again.

That is my go to method for mobile setup. Have a XOP platform and recently acquired an old Lone Wolf. We compared the two together at Saddlepalooza and could see no difference in the two platforms. Advantages lightest run and gun method. Disadvantages many. A little tricky learning to climb with. As tree’s girth gets smaller as you ascend it you must get off the platform and hang in your saddle and adjust the traction belt tighter to keep the platform level. Some trees you have to adjust it two or three times. You must have a RCH or leg straps on saddle while adjusting it or your SD will be around your neck. Rough bark trees are tricky because the traction belt gets stuck and you must slide the platform side to side to loosen it from the bark. All that where we were at Saddlepalooza I climbed about ten trees with no problem and could have hunted most anywhere with it. I own all the basic climbing methods and pick the platform 90% of the time. Something that’s very important is tying your platform to your tether Biner and the length of it. You want it long enough to make the largest move possible but not so long that you put tension on your ascender (ropeman) on the tether or you can’t release ascender. After you play with it a little Mark your tie off rope for later use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
That is my go to method for mobile setup. Have a XOP platform and recently acquired an old Lone Wolf. We compared the two together at Saddlepalooza and could see no difference in the two platforms. Advantages lightest run and gun method. Disadvantages many. A little tricky learning to climb with. As tree’s girth gets smaller as you ascend it you must get off the platform and hang in your saddle and adjust the traction belt tighter to keep the platform level. Some trees you have to adjust it two or three times. You must have a RCH or leg straps on saddle while adjusting it or your SD will be around your neck. Rough bark trees are tricky because the traction belt gets stuck and you must slide the platform side to side to loosen it from the bark. All that where we were at Saddlepalooza I climbed about ten trees with no problem and could have hunted most anywhere with it. I own all the basic climbing methods and pick the platform 90% of the time. Something that’s very important is tying your platform to your tether Biner and the length of it. You want it long enough to make the largest move possible but not so long that you put tension on your ascender (ropeman) on the tether or you can’t release ascender. After you play with it a little Mark your tie off rope for later use.

Watching you demonstrate this method and asking questions was one of my favorite times at SaddlePaloosa.

How are you securing the platform once you reach hunting height?

How are you securing the platform once you reach hunting height?
I'm really not I don't feel the need to. But that was the #1 question I was asked. You could put a spring buckle strap around the traction belt in front of your feet and pull it tight. That should tighten it but if for some reason you want to move around the tree in a hurry your platform would be glued to the tree.Once you get comfortable with it there's no need to tie it down. IMO Remember you tied in with your tether you can’t fall.

Last edited:
Back