• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Long time lurker, first time poster

Off Topic Guy

Whats up everyone! Been lurking around this forum for about a year now, and figured I'd finally make an account and hopefully contribute some. I've been hunting for about 4 years now (outside of a few outings as a kid) in central AL, and have had an absolute blast getting into the woods, learning, and acquiring gear along the way. When I was about 10-12 yrs old, an uncle took me hunting a couple times and put me in the middle of open hardwoods with a rifle on the ground in a camp chair and I took a young doe as my first harvest. Many many years passed as I grew up and I just didn't have much interest in going back and being so uncomfortable all day long, but I guess I finally came back around.

Season 1, 4 years ago, I went hunting 2-3 times with my uncle again and rifle hunted from the ground in a camp chair, smoking a really young doe on my walk into my spot one morning. It was honestly probably fresh out of spots, but it felt like it was my first deer (and was as an adult now) and was a trophy to me, and those couple times hunting that 1st season sparked something in me. I was prepared to take the next season really seriously after that.

Season 2, I was fully committed and bought a climbing stand and bow to get as many sits in the woods as I could. I practiced all summer with the bow, shooting every single day; however, my first time seeing a deer that season, I missed a shot at a doe at 15 yds with my bow (first time jitters I guess/shot over her), and then connected with my first bow/climber harvest with a decent sized doe at 39 yds, perfect heart shot a couple weeks later.

Season 3, I was super excited to continue learning, and didn't have as many opportunities to hunt, but found success with another bow doe harvest at 32-35yds, my first buck with a rifle, and then started checking out saddles and this site about halfway through the season. I got a saddle and sticks ordered, and hunted two half days out of it towards the end of the season trying to figure it out, with not much luck.

Season 4, this year, I've had a couple half day sits in the saddle after some practice and dialing it in over the summer, and just took my first saddle harvest a couple weekends ago. I'm excited to finally join this forum, continue learning, and hopefully not spend any more money on gear for a long while now that I'm set lol. (Cruzr XC saddle, seeker platform, and Hawk helium sticks)

Like Krazy said, welcome to the addiction. Great bunch of folks on here willing to help.

Welcome from Michigan! You've come to the wrong place to save money though lol

Welcome, this is a great site with very knowledgeable and helpful members.

Welcome from Northern Virginia. Spend some time in the noob section, lots of info there to start off.

Back