• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Longtime Outdoorsman and DIYer, New to Saddle Hunting & Hunting in General

FireInMyBones

I've been lurking for the last month. I finally joined the forum so I can ask questions (rather than just reading). I DIY'd my first saddle and have ordered the materials for a rappel line (Resc Tec).

I come from an Ultralight backpacking, weightlifting, and ultramarathoning background. I own a side hustle making backing gear and have an industrial sewing machine. After watching several videos on bow hunting basics and then seeing saddle hunting as an UL alternative to packing in a tree stand, I started my research. I found a Tetherd TNT event less than an hour away and took my dad. I was blown away with the comfort of the Menace saddle compared to the others. One guy demonstrated one sticking and I was instantly intrigued. I used to do a lot of rock climbing and I had a chance to try one sticking with the gear at the TNT. All of the platforms were in use, so I just tried the stick as a mini platform. When I left I found these forums and have been soaking it all up. About a week ago, I made my own saddle (1000D Codura tripple stiched with 2" Seatbelt webbing) and was pleased with an 18oz finished product. Here is a picture from the event. If I can reduce the file size of the photos of the finished saddle, I'll post those too.

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_210351.jpg
    IMG_20210529_210351.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.54.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.54.14 PM.png
    718.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.54.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.54.32 PM.png
    558.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.54.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.54.54 PM.png
    569.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.55.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.55.04 PM.png
    693 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Welcome from Michigan's tip of the mitt! Nice looking saddle, good work!

Helpful hint on the pictures, if you snip or screenshot the image and paste into the post they come in pretty reasonably.

You should have no problem fitting in. Most of the guys who quickly reject saddle hunting or over weight, non athletic and unfit. You should have no problem there. Now successfully hunting out of a saddle is a whole different story, but it’s fun learning. Welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking good!! You even have a brand tag! It looks comfortable.
JJ

Thank you. Yeah, I have a few of those tags from my side business (Bonefire Gear™ LLC). I ended up seam ripping the mesh out and making a wider center panel out of black 1000D Codura for better support and comfort.

Welcome from Michigan's tip of the mitt! Nice looking saddle, good work!
Helpful hint on the pictures, if you snip or screenshot the image and paste into the post they come in pretty reasonably.

Done. That was a good tip. Thank you for the welcome.

You should have no problem fitting in. Most of the guys who quickly reject saddle hunting or over weight, non athletic and unfit. You should have no problem there. Now successfully hunting out of a saddle is a whole different story, but it’s fun learning. Welcome!

Successfully hunting will be the key. I just bought Steven Rinella's Complete Guide to Hunting part one. My dad is normally successful with a riffle out of a tree stand on private land, but I'm learning the bow from scratch and it won't be in until October. I recognize that I have much to learn.

That’s an impressive diy saddle, welcome, and good luck this season!

Thank you. I'm rather happy to learn from this group.

Welcome to the group! Great DIY saddle there. And created with a Juki to boot. Make sure to check out / contribute in the DIY section.

And enjoy learning all you can about archery hunting’s (if I read correctly you are new-ish to hunting (or just bow hunting)). There are many seasoned hunters that have diametrically opposed views on being successful and what tactics do/do not work. So take that for what it is worth.

Enjoy the ride!

Awesome, I’ve watched a bunch of your backpacking videos over the years. I’m just down the road from you so feel free to reach out if you want to chat or meet up to do some climbing. I also have 100 acres off exit 27 if you need somewhere to try some stuff out.

Welcome to the group! Great DIY saddle there. And created with a Juki to boot. Make sure to check out / contribute in the DIY section.

And enjoy learning all you can about archery hunting’s (if I read correctly you are new-ish to hunting (or just bow hunting)). There are many seasoned hunters that have diametrically opposed views on being successful and what tactics do/do not work. So take that for what it is worth.

Enjoy the ride!

Thank you! I will check out the DIY section. I am new to hunting, and I've already learned a few tricks, but as I have much to learn, I don't know what I don't know until I do.

Awesome, I’ve watched a bunch of your backpacking videos over the years. I’m just down the road from you so feel free to reach out if you want to chat or meet up to do some climbing. I also have 100 acres off exit 27 if you need somewhere to try some stuff out.

Small world! I would love to learn as much as possible and exit 27 is not far from where I work.

Welcome from Central Illinois!

Thank you!

Looks wicked, welcome man :)

Thank you!

Welcome from Maine! Very nice looking saddle there. I'm no saddle building expert so maybe some pros could chime in but I think if you double over that webbing and stitch it those linesman's loops will be stiffer and easier to use. Otherwise I am looking forward to hearing about your hunting success. Don't be bashful with any questions you might have either because we were all rookies at one time and with the great bunch of hunters on this site you will get multiple answers for any questions you may have. Very selfless and helpful people on this site.

I just saw this post. That’s awesome that you are getting in to saddle hunting. I can hook you up if you want to try stuff. Give me a call and I can bring some stuff to John Rock or run by your house next time I’m in Greenville.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back