• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking at Ohio

Cory T

I live in Pa and am considering going to Ohio to do some hunting. Looking for some places to check out. Any info is much appreciated.

I've hunted Wolf Creek, SIMCO Wildlife area and Deer Creek. Nice hunting areas. Best time to hunt these areas is bow season and late season after gun season. During gun season the areas are hunted hard.

Ohio is only a shell of what it used to be the pressure on public has dramatically increased over the last 8 years or so abd its only getting worse.

There are still nice deer out there but expect company no matter how far you go or how many creeks you cross.

Watch the hunting public episodes from thier Ohio trip that’s pretty typical of things from the last week of October through gun season.

I live in the county of the state with the most public ground and hunt here very little spend more time in KY then travel to Kansas for the rut.

Good luck on your hunt. If you have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM

I live in and hunt Pa so I know all about having company. I also hunt New York. Just looking to get into some new country. What part of Ohio do you live in? I'm

I live in and hunt Pa so I know all about having company. I also hunt New York. Just looking to get into some new country. What part of Ohio do you live in? I'm
I’m in extreme southern Ohio I hunt the Ironton district of Wayne and a few of the wildlife areas in the region. I should have added please don’t think I’m trying to discourage you from hunting here. Just want you to know what to expect.

I appreciate that. The wife has family near Athens was thinking about when we visit. I don't think any of her family there hunts though

I live in PA and hunt Ohio also. In general I think Ohio public gets more pressure around the rut than PA but that obviously depends where your going. My advice would be to use your contacts to try to get on private. If not pick an area you can get to as often as possible and start scouting.

I went to SE Ohio during gun season this year for 4 days. I hunted there in from 1990-2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, mostly family farm, private land anyone could get permission to hunt, and public. The pressure has increased greatly over the last 10 years.

The private land anyone could hunt is so overhunted. Every spot I picked out on a topo and aerial map had more than one stand hanging in it. A few stands were on our land. Salt blocks and game cameras out everywhere. There was deer sign, but not anything like in years past. I think most stands were from rut hunting since their was almost no one out that week.

The public land parking lots would only have one truck in them. I would see boot tracks on the easy access areas and areas right off the trails. I didn't see any trail cameras, stands, or prepped trees. However, I saw good deer sign. Multiple people said that late Oct-mid Nov the parking lots had a lot of vehicles in them. My dad and brother both agree with this and both said 20th-27th of OCT would be the time to avoid all the pressure.

I left Ohio with an unfilled tag and a sour taste in my mouth. I want to go back to hunt it, mostly because its my hallowed ground. However, the reality is the good old days are long gone. I might go bowhunt next year, just to see if I need to close that book on Ohio or keep it open. I'm more excited about hunting public land in Arkansas than Ohio after my 5 day hunt in the Ozarks this year. I'm considering Tennessee and South Dakota as well.

Back