• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking for traditional advice

Jed33

I am looking for anyone on this site that can help steer me in the right direction for picking a traditional bow set up for mainly hunting whitetails. I would like any information or thoughts at all. For example the difference between a recurve and longbow and the limitations of each.

I do not want to break the bank as well. I am looking at a Bear Grizzly but I am reluctant to pull the trigger. I am worried I will not make a good decision.

If you want to do it right you need to start with a low poundage bow, something you will not get fatigued shooting a lot of arrows from to learn proper form. This will most likely not be a hunting weight bow.

This is why I always suggest an ilf set up so can have several limbs to swap on the same riser.

There is a lot to learn and it’s tough if you don’t have someone showing you in person.

Recurve vs longbow is a personal choice both are very effective and have there loyal followers. Samick is a brand many recommend to start with. They perform well for the price. Start with low weight, low 40's max at your draw length. Your draw length is the most important thing to consider before you buy your bow.

I agree get a cheap Samick that is 35 or 40 lbs to work on form. The important thing is to not overbow yourself. Remember draw weights for traditional bows are measured at 28”. A good rule of thumb is to add or subtract 3lbs per inch of draw above or below 28”. For example a 40lb bow would be 46lbs at 30” or 34lbs at 26”. There are several styles of shooting (I.e. instinctive or gap) and both are explained well in the push video. There are some decent custom longbows for reasonable prices (mad mike comes to mind). You will want to shoot a recurve and a longbow to see which you like more. I got a Black Widow PMAIII when I was 17 and have been shooting it ever since. It’s a great bow and I would highly recommend Black Widow’s excellent bows and customer service but they aren’t cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a sage samick if your interested 62in 45 lbs

You might look for some traditional archery leagues in your area. They would have a large selection to try and are normally willing to let you try some.

I would like to try the Bear Kodiak Magnum myself and agree with the 40 pound weight.

X2 on The Push video. If you currently shoot a compound, this is the perfect starting point. Matt and Tim demystify the shooting process, introducing a logical, repeatable shot style/sequence that will work for any type of archery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't do what I did. LOL....i went from Hi tech to primitive. Huge learning curve. You can't go wrong with a Grizzly (unless it's heavy...as others said do start off overbowed).

Start low & learn proper form. But stick with it....sometimes you struggle for a long time until something just clicks.

Promise you one thing...once you start hunting with a trad bow it'll be hard to go back. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am looking for anyone on this site that can help steer me in the right direction for picking a traditional bow set up for mainly hunting whitetails. I would like any information or thoughts at all. For example the difference between a recurve and longbow and the limitations of each.

I do not want to break the bank as well. I am looking at a Bear Grizzly but I am reluctant to pull the trigger. I am worried I will not make a good decision.

Bear Grizzly is a great choice , just start with a low poundage 35 lbs or less. If you develop bad habits it will take a long time to fix them and it will be frustrating ( I know this personally ) Traditional is very rewarding and you will be hooked when you start hitting bullseyes and ultimately taking your first deer. Keep us posted

Thanks for the advice guys. I may end up going with the Samick Sage Deluxe. I love the look and feel of the Grizzly but I like the functionality of the Sage take down.

That bow will be fine, I just set up one of my sons friends with that bow. Just remember all the great advice you got on this thread about staying in the lower poundage range, so you can develop a good form that will work for you. Another thing, not sure where you are from, but if you can develop a friendship with someone who shoots trad. near you, that would help you a lot, and you would probably develop a friend for life.
Tradgang.com is another good site to ask trad questions,

I actually went back to a compound but still shoot my Schaffer Silvertip regularly. Longbows are typically smoother but recurves are generally quicker. Both can be shot from a tree stand but obviously a longbow is a little more cumbersome in a saddle. I personally would tell you to look at Rick Welch’s shooting style.

If you want to actually talk to someone inbox me and I’ll help you. I’ve been shooting for over 10 years and wasted A LOT of time and money over that time.

Back