• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Looking to upgrade my saddle. Any input would be appreciated.

greg728

SH Member
I have a tethrd phantom saddle that I want to upgrade as I don’t find the single panel saddle (or at least this one) to be very comfortable after an hour or two. I find myself constantly fidgeting around trying to adjust it because of the way that it sits on me. I’ve loosened up the leg straps and the buckle strap and it has helped but the full webbing panel just doesn’t feel right. I was thinking of looking into a two panel saddle but I’d like some feedback. It doesn’t have to be two panel that’s just what my gut is telling me. I’m 6’ 180lbs and don’t have a lot of cushion so comfort is my biggest factor after safety. Any input would be awesome.

Its tough saddle fit is subjective. I never could get comfortable in a 2 panel. I usually recommend CruzR or TX5 lonestar you need a single that has a lot of adjustment….
How much more adjustment options does the cruzr have than the phantom?

Still mesh. Still tretches past the strap alowing the strap to hold a diffetent angle than the panel letting it bite your legs more than a solid panel.....just does it less than the ass hamok cuz its pleated with beter strap geometry.
.you have in this pick the angle of the panel..the angle of the strap... and the angle of the leg.not nearly as bad as the ass hamoks just not what it could be..the panel and strap should be one.i can work in cheep wallmart boots all day....dont make it right
Screenshot_20231110_053557_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
No matter what if you make 2 identicle saddles one mesh and one cordura or poly...you will feel a big difference......in the mesh....i know for a fact cuz i have made boath side by side and tested them..... the dudes at lattitude cuaght this and added verticle straps to the bottom panel for suport so your ass wont sink past the strap letting it dig in...they are not there for looks...i wish this was comon knowledge it would save so many people time and money....unfortinately every one copied the first ass hamok wich hasnt helped any body do any thing but make money...your first saddle should fit you just right without adjustments....industry went a different directionScreenshot_20231113_012942_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231113_012906_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Like throwing hand grenades when you need a sharp shooter.but hey....i can work in wallmart boots all day....tx5 might be better.i would check the classifieds for a wood saddle...good luck nobody wants to sell theirs...then look at overwatch maybe even Arsenal...i havnt tried any of these.but its easy to tell by looking at them ....they aint built wrong

Last edited:
Examples of pressure on the strap due to a lack of suport in the seat letting your flesh bubble out past the strap.one without even a strapScreenshot_20231113_014302_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231113_013717_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231113_014217_Chrome.jpga ouch....easy to find bad examples of seat suport on the internet...hard to find good ones

Last edited:
I've tried a number of saddles, including the phantom, which I purchased when they first came out. I could.never get comfortable in the phantom after many sits. I haven't tried them all now, but I believe there are many better options out there, including ones listed above.

I have a tethrd phantom saddle that I want to upgrade as I don’t find the single panel saddle (or at least this one) to be very comfortable after an hour or two. I find myself constantly fidgeting around trying to adjust it because of the way that it sits on me. I’ve loosened up the leg straps and the buckle strap and it has helped but the full webbing panel just doesn’t feel right. I was thinking of looking into a two panel saddle but I’d like some feedback. It doesn’t have to be two panel that’s just what my gut is telling me. I’m 6’ 180lbs and don’t have a lot of cushion so comfort is my biggest factor after safety. Any input would be awesome.
Are you sitting or leaning? I ended up going from a single panel to a 2 panel back to the single panel last year. I found that I really fidgeting with all the adjustments a 2 panel offers, though when dialed in just right it was more comfortable. I thought I wanted one panel low/under me and one supporting my back but then it left me wanting something in the middle too. I bought a pleated saddle and that's the ticket for me, I wanted more coverage a ( Wood Deluxe) delivered.

Its tough saddle fit is subjective. I never could get comfortable in a 2 panel. I usually recommend CruzR or TX5 lonestar you need a single that has a lot of adjustment….
I’ve had both. They are great saddles. I also would recommend the CruzR Archon if you’re looking for additional adjustments. I found it to be the most comfortable overall. Good luck.

Like others have mentioned, saddle fit is very subjective. A lot of people love the Cruzr xc. I had one and liked it well enough but then I got into 2 panel saddles and now that is all I use. I have a Treehopper Recon and a Wraptor saddle I made along the lines of the old Anderson Sling. The thing I find and has already been mentioned is that mesh will stretch and that one strap at the bottom will tend to concentrate all the weight where your legs meet your butt. This gets uncomfortable fast. A 2 panel usually has 4 straps that are each 2 inches wide. This gives you up to 8 inches of strap that won't give and sag under your weight. With a single panel you usually only have 4 inches max with mesh between.

My advice is to see if you can find someone local or a meet up and try out a couple of 2 panels. There is a members map on here somewhere.

Dryad full or mini hammock

I used a Phantom for 2 seasons and had the same issues. I went with a single panel Orion (last picture in @tailgunner post) from Overwatch Outdoors last season and really like it. The pleated panel has adjusters so you can set the amount of pleat depending on the tree and if you are leaning sitting or walking. I normally keep adjusted to about half open however sometimes I get into a oddball tree or more/less clothes and will adjust it. I am 5'11", 185 #.

Back