• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lots of questions - Bridge length - How to attach - Ropeman 1

Billfresh

Ok, I bought my saddle months ago and life happened so I have not practiced as I need to. If you find my post from my maiden attempt with my Wild Edge steps and the saddle you will see I needed practice. Didn't happen. So I have been trying to get some tree time, in the back yard. I decided low level practice is so important. Please read and tell me you thoughts.

Bridge length?? I still have it set as I received it. What is the popular length? where should the peak of the bridge be relative to my face when attached and standing? I see folks say the bridge is too long on purpose from the manufacturer. General thoughts please.

Ropeman 1......Am I safe with just this? I replaced the Blake's hitch(hated) on the tree rope and the lineman's belt. I did replace the caribiners too based on the original ones being too oval shaped to smoothly fit in the Ropeman1. I bought new caribiners recommended here. Same load capacity but round. Much better. I see folks saying the Ropeman 1 should not be used alone as a main support. That a back up Blakes or Prussik should hand below the ropeman. Thoughts?

Along with the last paragraph, I see on the bottom of the tree rope is a small loop. I see in some videos people have this 2nd loop also attached to their bridge caribiner. Others not. Which one is it? I love living. I love redundancy. Any pics to show me your attachment points?

Last thing...while I was experimenting on my low level hook up today I must say I did love the comfort of the saddle as I sat there. I watched vids of people smoothly moving the ropeman 1 tighter and looser with little effort and no "OOPS!" drops when releasing it. I found I had to grab above my bridge hook up point with my off hand to relieve the load on the saddle completely before I was able lift up on the ropeman. worse was trying to drop down. Even with the weight mostly released I fell when the ropeman let loose. After a few of these drops I added a knot about 8" to 10" below connection with the ropeman so when it did release it only fell to the knot. I was not able to react fast enough to pop it and release it to re-engage. Does that make sense?

That is if folks. Comments greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, I bought my saddle months ago and life happened so I have not practiced as I need to. If you find my post from my maiden attempt with my Wild Edge steps and the saddle you will see I needed practice. Didn't happen. So I have been trying to get some tree time, in the back yard. I decided low level practice is so important. Please read and tell me you thoughts.

Bridge length?? I still have it set as I received it. What is the popular length? where should the peak of the bridge be relative to my face when attached and standing? I see folks say the bridge is too long on purpose from the manufacturer. General thoughts please.

Ropeman 1......Am I safe with just this? I replaced the Blake's hitch(hated) on the tree rope and the lineman's belt. I did replace the caribiners too based on the original ones being too oval shaped to smoothly fit in the Ropeman1. I bought new caribiners recommended here. Same load capacity but round. Much better. I see folks saying the Ropeman 1 should not be used alone as a main support. That a back up Blakes or Prussik should hand below the ropeman. Thoughts?

Along with the last paragraph, I see on the bottom of the tree rope is a small loop. I see in some videos people have this 2nd loop also attached to their bridge caribiner. Others not. Which one is it? I love living. I love redundancy. Any pics to show me your attachment points?

Last thing...while I was experimenting on my low level hook up today I must say I did love the comfort of the saddle as I sat there. I watched vids of people smoothly moving the ropeman 1 tighter and looser with little effort and no "OOPS!" drops when releasing it. I found I had to grab above my bridge hook up point with my off hand to relieve the load on the saddle completely before I was able lift up on the ropeman. worse was trying to drop down. Even with the weight mostly released I fell when the ropeman let loose. After a few of these drops I added a knot about 8" to 10" below connection with the ropeman so when it did release it only fell to the knot. I was not able to react fast enough to pop it and release it to re-engage. Does that make sense?

That is if folks. Comments greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I agree with you grinding it out at low level to work the bugs out! I played around w/ a bunch of bridge lengths & settled at around 30” , found a lot of hip pinch in the 24-26” range. But then again that could just be size thing. I also tested comfort by moving tether height up & down, if I get higher forehead height it feels like I’m sliding out of the front of the saddle ( riding up). If it’s too low then I feel squished when I collapse all the way down to sit. I prefer to lean most of the time & just sit to take a break. I’ll let others weigh in about prussik or Blake’s below RP1 for backup, I personally think a stopper knot won’t git though the gate of my ropeman...... all that to say you have to find what fits you best & what level of risk is acceptable. I feel so much safer now connected from climb up & back down never disconnected or transitioning to platform like I used to ........

I agree with you grinding it out at low level to work the bugs out! I played around w/ a bunch of bridge lengths & settled at around 30” , found a lot of hip pinch in the 24-26” range. But then again that could just be size thing. I also tested comfort by moving tether height up & down, if I get higher forehead height it feels like I’m sliding out of the front of the saddle ( riding up). If it’s too low then I feel squished when I collapse all the way down to sit. I prefer to lean most of the time & just sit to take a break. I’ll let others weigh in about prussik or Blake’s below RP1 for backup, I personally think a stopper knot won’t git though the gate of my ropeman...... all that to say you have to find what fits you best & what level of risk is acceptable. I feel so much safer now connected from climb up & back down never disconnected or transitioning to platform like I used to ........
30" measured where? Knot to knot? Thanks for your thoughts.

I agree with Bigterp about tether height and bridge length. You will have to play with them to figure out what works for you. As far as the Ropeman on the tether, if you are more comfortable backing it up, you want the blakes hitch above the ropeman. If the ropeman fails in anyway (not likely) you don't want the ropman to push the blakes hitch down the rope. As far as hooking the tail of the tether into the bridge carabiner, there is not a negative to doing that, I usually do but, I also don't sweat it if I forget for some reason.

Also, DONT release your ropeman under load. I always take all of my weight off of my tether before releasing the ropeman. I am not sure why you need to take your weight off of it to move it up though. You should just be able to lean up and pull up on the tag end of the rope.

I agree with Bigterp about tether height and bridge length. You will have to play with them to figure out what works for you. As far as the Ropeman on the tether, if you are more comfortable backing it up, you want the blakes hitch above the ropeman. If the ropeman fails in anyway (not likely) you don't want the ropman to push the blakes hitch down the rope. As far as hooking the tail of the tether into the bridge carabiner, there is not a negative to doing that, I usually do but, I also don't sweat it if I forget for some reason.

Also, DONT release your ropeman under load. I always take all of my weight off of my tether before releasing the ropeman. I am not sure why you need to take your weight off of it to move it up though. You should just be able to lean up and pull up on the tag end of the rope.

Yeah, I learned that it is very difficult, bordering on impossible to pop your RP1 under load. It can be done though. I proved it last night. When it goes...it GOES! Slid down over a foot before my butt hit the seat back on the bench I was using as my low level platform. I tried a few more times where I would kind of try to lift my butt up enough to allow me to release the RP1. no better. When it releases there is no way to react fast enough to have control. I am sure there are some out there laughing, thinking I must be an idiot for doing this. Well, I'll own it I guess. I did have some success raising the RP1 when I would pull the rope while rising enough to decrease the load. Up I went. Remember guys, this is brand new to a lot of us. Wish I had spent some time with this set up during the summer but I didn't so here i am now. Trying to learn. 3 foot off the ground is better to do this for sure.

I like the idea of hooking the tail of the tether into the caribiner. It would be a nice little drop should the RP1 fail but that beats a nice BIG drop.

So for the bridge rope....from eye to eye I should experiment with about 30" to start? This seems to be a popular length. I am a hefty chap. 5'-10" and pushing 245/250lbs. No ass to speak of and narrow hips, I have been told. No butt...all gut. Then try the tether rope tied off about even with the top of my head? Ok...I will retie the bridge tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks again folks. Lots of people here helping us newbies stay alive. That is a good thing and I appreciate your advice.

Back