• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Low Carb Eating (Keto) and Scent

bj139

One thing I have noticed is when I eat low carb (keto ) my body, urine and feces odor are
almost non-existant. If I go back to eating carbs for a few days, like half a pizza then finish
the other half the next day, I start stinking. I have always attributed this to noxious bacteria
reestablishing themselves in my body. If I feed them, they grow and they are stinking, not me.
Does anyone else notice this? I don't know if this has any relation to how well deer could
smell me, but I certainly can smell me when I eat high carb. :anguished:

One thing I have noticed is when I eat low carb (keto ) my body, urine and feces odor are
almost non-existant. If I go back to eating carbs for a few days, like half a pizza then finish
the other half the next day, I start stinking. I have always attributed this to noxious bacteria
reestablishing themselves in my body. If I feed them, they grow and they are stinking, not me.
Does anyone else notice this? I don't know if this has any relation to how well deer could
smell me, but I certainly can smell me when I eat high carb. :anguished:
Yes I've noticed that too. As a side note, my heartburn clears up. As soon as I return to carbs it's back like a mofo.

Those who have never tried keto usually have a lot of opinions based on internet research only, I guess.

Yes. This is exactly why I go to a strict diet of only iceberg lettuce and water for the entire hunting season. I poop like a caterpillar
Caterpillar poop must be odorless. They don't smell bad. :)
Edit: Funny, my go to snack at night is iceberg lettuce. It tastes so clean and sweet now, I enjoy it plain. I bought another head today.

Last edited:
Never noticed my poo smell less but definitely wipe less....:oops:

Those who have never tried keto usually have a lot of opinions based on internet research only, I guess.
Oh yeah. There's so much mis and bad information out there. Now you've got dirty keto, etc. Once it hit mainstream and celebs got involved it went nuts. I didn't even try it to lose weight, my neurologist recommended it to see if it would help with my migraines which it did, drastically. Considering keto was designed to treat epilepsy I'm wasn't surprised it worked, but I was surprised by how well it worked.

I found aches and pains especially knee pain disappeared as well as GI issues. I suspect I am allergic to wheat, not enough to kill me but enough to cause unpleasant allergic symptoms.

I found aches and pains especially knee pain disappeared as well as GI issues. I suspect I am allergic to wheat, not enough to kill me but enough to cause unpleasant allergic symptoms.

This was the biggest surprise for me. In Keto all my aches and pains and GI issues went away. I literally felt 20 years younger. I don't do a strict keto diet anymore but, have switched to a paleo-"ish" diet. (Basically, I avoid breads and wheats and try to avoid the processed crap as much as possible) I don't feel quite as good as eating keto but, I feel a lot better then I used to.

I am not going to give my opinion, but will leave some medical expert food for thought...https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/the-truth-behind-the-most-popular-diet-trends-of-the-moment/art-20390062

I tried strict keto. I lost weight. But, my liver enzymes went crazy. On doctor's orders I stopped. I'm not saying it doesn't work for some or even most, but check your blood work if you do a strict keto diet. Everyone is different. Our bodies all react to stuff differently. I still avoid breads / pastas / processed foods, but I eat fruit.

Oh, also...I don't worry about how I smell for the deer. I just play the wind. I'm certainly not going to change what I'm eating to try to get an edge on whitetail. It's OK if they get away sometimes.

I won't try to defend the Keto diet because for every positive article out there there is also a negative. What I can say is that the keto diet did two things for me.

#1- I lost 20lbs in 6 months, felt great while I did it, and have kept it off for another 6 months currently even though I don't eat strict keto anymore.

#2- Caused me to actually research, learn about and get involved with the food I put in my body. What almost all doctors and health professionals agree on is the crap that the majority of people put in their bodies on a daily basis is horrible for them. I probably won't go back on the keto diet but, if I had to choose between the keto diet and the average Americans diet, I would take my chances with keto everytime.

It's amazing how great I felt after I quit eating, or significantly reduced my processed foods and sugar intake. And it doesn't take long for all of my symptoms from GI issues, to sinus issues, that I thought were just part of normal life, to come back when I slip up and eat a little processed food or wheat.

As for the original topic. My wife enjoys the fact that I have significantly less gas when not eating carbs, so in a way I do stink less.

I won't try to defend the Keto diet because for every positive article out there there is also a negative. What I can say is that the keto diet did two things for me.

#1- I lost 20lbs in 6 months, felt great while I did it, and have kept it off for another 6 months currently even though I don't eat strict keto anymore.

#2- Caused me to actually research, learn about and get involved with the food I put in my body. What almost all doctors and health professionals agree on is the crap that the majority of people put in their bodies on a daily basis is horrible for them. I probably won't go back on the keto diet but, if I had to choose between the keto diet and the average Americans diet, I would take my chances with keto everytime.

It's amazing how great I felt after I quit eating, or significantly reduced my processed foods and sugar intake. And it doesn't take long for all of my symptoms from GI issues, to sinus issues, that I thought were just part of normal life, to come back when I slip up and eat a little processed food or wheat.

As for the original topic. My wife enjoys the fact that I have significantly less gas when not eating carbs, so in a way I do stink less.

There’s a lot to be said for decreasing processed foods. Sugar, wheat, lectins, and synthetic food substances are staples in the diets of every person with a chronic medical condition. I started out paleo and shifted to keto. Did it 5 years ago. I’ll turn 47 this month, but still feel 25. When I retired from the marine corps in 2013, I was in good shape but didn’t feel as good as I do now.

And since my body isn’t processing countless toxins like it used to, it’s unnoticeable if I skip wearing deodorant/antiperspirant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been strict Keto for 17 months now. Just had my annual physical and lab work. I’m almost 52 and my results are equal to my lab work when I was in my 20’s and on active duty in the Army. I lost and have kept off 75 lbs. on the point of the OP, yes my body odors and and associated smells are definitely less than they ever were in my Carb days. As a matter of fact, the only thing I’ve noticed that gives ompppfff to my gas are Russle Stover sugar free candy made with Stevia. That gentlemen is unpleasant. :)

I have been on and off keto for about 2 years now. I initially lost 60 pounds but have gained back 10 of that but I seem to have no problem maintaining where I am currently. Like many others have mentioned the best part for me were the other things that came along with keto. I used to struggle with headaches often, now they are rare. I was almost always congested, now it's odd if I feel stuffy. I wasn't sickly by any means but I will say I believe I am much less susceptible to colds when I am keto.

I've been lazy lately but I think this thread may motivate be to get my act back together!

Curious, where did you get the info that led you to positive opinions on keto?
I went Atkins diet keto and lost 60 pounds. The health benefits were just a good side effect. I still crave carbs and eat some every few days. I am really on a medium carb diet now. Every once in a while I will eat a whole pizza over 2 days and will pay with aches and pains and GI problems, loose stool , etc. I did not go low carb until I was around 55 years old. I don't know what it might have been like if I started younger. I went hunting yesterday around 8AM on one cup of coffee with HWC (heavy whipping cream). I ate an apple on the drive home around 5 pm and was not hungry all day. I was using my stored fat for energy. Once you get used to low carb, fasting is easy with no hunger. Eating excess carbs makes me hungry.
Edit: I forgot to mention sinus problems are gone. I always had stuffy nose and postnasal drip with cough. Now nothing except clear breathing. :)

Last edited:
The keto has been working. Started dec 2 and in 5 weeks of having less then 20 carbs a day i have dropped 46 pounds and feel amazing. Goal is to drop another 30 pounds. This coming season will be my 1st season saddle hunting
Wow!!! You are the man. This is a secret for those that are unwilling to try it. Eskimos did this all the time and survived fine. Congratulations. I know you don't need congratulations. How you feel is all the congratulations you need.

Mayo clinic and Doctors can say what they want about paleo/primal and keto eating (not a diet it is a way of life) but I can tell that I unequivocally feel better when I cut the grain and sugars out of my diet. Eat a healthy diet of meats, vegetables, and some fruits when in season; snacks are some nuts and jerky, this is sustainable over a lifetime if you put a little work into it. I dropped off a couple of years ago and have been paying for it, am getting back to the right lifestyle now so I can feel better and drop the weight I picked up over those couple of years.

Back