• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lw hand climber/ saddle video

Phaco

Oct 10, 2017
DE/MD/NC/IL/WI/MI
So, what happens when the hand climber gets loose and slides down the tree? I didn't see it tethered to you or anything to prevent it from getting away from you.

Reactions: Flyerzfan10

kenn1320

Sep 15, 2015
No way that's a LW climber. If it is....they changed the design. Lol on the ground I can barely adjust the strap with 2 hands. I wonder if they changed the cams or the belt to make it that easy? I saw replacement cams at the store last week. I'll have to contact LW.
Thanks for the video

Adrena123

Oct 20, 2016
MARYLAND
No way that's a LW climber. If it is....they changed the design. Lol on the ground I can barely adjust the strap with 2 hands. I wonder if they changed the cams or the belt to make it that easy? I saw replacement cams at the store last week. I'll have to contact LW.
Thanks for the video

This is the only LW hand climber i'm familiar with but i have only hunted strictly out of a saddle since 2005. Not sure on that one..

Reactions: Treehopper2

Adrena123

Oct 20, 2016
MARYLAND
So, what happens when the hand climber gets loose and slides down the tree? I didn't see it tethered to you or anything to prevent it from getting away from you.

If you watch the video again he uses the "pumper strap" that is girth hitched around the platform, that is then clipped to his saddle. One strap pulling double duty.

George Clark

Oct 31, 2016
For the areas we know that have climbable trees, the lone wolf hand climber is all-in-one package. Climbing spurs are probably it's only competition to climb as high as you want and in pure speed, the spurs rule. BUT with spurs you still have carry a lineman's belt (or two if there are limbs to go around), carry and hang a platform, attach the tether, and remove the spurs before pulling up or setting up the rest of your gear. Sounds like a lot even though it really isn't but compared to the lone wolf hand climber......walk to the tree, attach the climber to the tree, attach your tether, clip the over center strap to your saddle and climb. Once you get to the designated height, knee down and wrap the over center strap around the tree and secure. DONE! Ironically, it's the safest way I have ever climbed since I'm always tethered in. Personally, even with spurs, I would look for branch-less trees anyways so for me it's a draw regarding tree selection. I haven't tried this yet but I'm thinking if I need to pass a branch, I could attach a lineman's belt, remove the tether above the branch, then pull the platform up and over the branch then continue on (this would have to be THE perfect tree!). The climber is probably legal anywhere so there's an advantage/necessity for some folks. Also, there is no reason you can't use it in preset spots either. Takes seconds to install.

I think the Lone Wolf hand climber is 3ish pounds compared to the aluminum spurs/platform which would be around 5ish pounds(?), and my 3 lone wolf sticks with amsteel rope mod/ameristeps at around 10lbs.

Bottom line is if the area is unknown, I'm taking my sticks because they work anywhere. If I know where I'm going and there will be a climbable tree somewhere close by, the Lone Wolf hand climber is going due to it being an ultra lightweight, all-in-one platform. Great tool to have. After all, it's just MORE money! I would love to see a purpose-built saddle climber platform..........anybody know anybody that builds this kinda stuff?????????? cough cough, Tethrd

bongo

SH Member
Jan 26, 2015
N Ft Myers, Florida
Great video. I would tie my platform to my tether biner. But you look comfortable and that’s have the mistakes are because you aren’t comfortable with your gear.
I wish I could adjust my strap like that but not flexible enough. But hanging works for me.
I’m not sure if you could adjust the FayetteKong mod like that but I saw your belt hang a couple times where if you had the Summit cable mod I’m sure it would climb easier.
I’ve already posted on here that a certain company should make a hand Climber with a cable instead of belt. But they didn’t pay attention to me.
I think your video might change their mind.
Also I’m going to sew my two sit drags together as you suggested in another thread.
I will say I like my leg straps for hanging and adjusting the belt but to each his own.
Donnieballgame and I have tried presenting this system to the masses but very few have taken the bait.
With the right trees and that’s any where a climber works and more because it climbs much smaller trees then even sticks and Jim Stepp steps.
f2e91703b4b18c8cd48b830d2345dfe2.jpg
That Pine is less than 4”.
I think it’s the easiest fastest lightest less complicated way to saddlehunt but haven’t been able to sell it.
I don’t know where you guys are from but if you want to come to S Florida sometime when I’m around season starts here in late July early Aug. Your more than welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Adrena123

Oct 20, 2016
MARYLAND
Great video. I would tie my platform to my tether biner. But you look comfortable and that’s have the mistakes are because you aren’t comfortable with your gear.
I wish I could adjust my strap like that but not flexible enough. But hanging works for me.
I’m not sure if you could adjust the FayetteKong mod like that but I saw your belt hang a couple times where if you had the Summit cable mod I’m sure it would climb easier.
I’ve already posted on here that a certain company should make a hand Climber with a cable instead of belt. But they didn’t pay attention to me.
I think your video might change their mind.
Also I’m going to sew my two sit drags together as you suggested in another thread.
I will say I like my leg straps for hanging and adjusting the belt but to each his own.
Donnieballgame and I have tried presenting this system to the masses but very few have taken the bait.
With the right trees and that’s any where a climber works and more because it climbs much smaller trees then even sticks and Jim Stepp steps.
f2e91703b4b18c8cd48b830d2345dfe2.jpg
That Pine is less than 4”.
I think it’s the easiest fastest lightest less complicated way to saddlehunt but haven’t been able to sell it.
I don’t know where you guys are from but if you want to come to S Florida sometime when I’m around season starts here in late July early Aug. Your more than welcome.

Bongo, my cousin makes it look easy doesn't he lol. I have NO flexibility. Ill do part 2 of this video where I hang (like you) to adjust the band. I call it " bongo style" since i learned it from you. I also get down on both knees to put the strap on for stability. Depending on the situation, sometimes I don't even use it. We have so many poplar trees in Maryland (even in thick cover) this combo is perfect for us. Thanks again for your demo.

bongo

SH Member
Jan 26, 2015
N Ft Myers, Florida
Bongo, my cousin makes it look easy doesn't he lol. I have NO flexibility. Ill do part 2 of this video where I hang (like you) to adjust the band. I call it " bongo style" since i learned it from you. I also get down on both knees to put the strap on for stability. Depending on the situation, sometimes I don't even use it. We have so many poplar trees in Maryland (even in thick cover) this combo is perfect for us. Thanks again for your demo.

Yes he does make it look easy. You guys are doing a great job promoting the sport.
I got to hunt PAX River Naval Base in 2004 and 2005. I love Maryland and it’s a sleeper state for big bucks.
I’ve been hunting VA in Nov. the last 5 years and there’s plentiful poplars there also.
Would love to hook up with you guys sometime and swap ideas.
aee39ce91a1f5005e0638060646223f4.jpg
That picture was about the 8th of Nov. Had to leave on the 10th and they had just started chasing when I left. I killed a two year old ten point out of that tree.
e3d617f444fabe13f289092b5fba5055.jpg

If you look on my tether there’s a clipter hanging on it like George said he put loops on his tether to hang his bow on. Great minds think alike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iowabucksnbass

Adrena123

Oct 20, 2016
MARYLAND
Yes he does make it look easy. You guys are doing a great job promoting the sport.
I got to hunt PAX River Naval Base in 2004 and 2005. I love Maryland and it’s a sleeper state for big bucks.
I’ve been hunting VA in Nov. the last 5 years and there’s plentiful poplars there also.
Would love to hook up with you guys sometime and swap ideas.
aee39ce91a1f5005e0638060646223f4.jpg
That picture was about the 8th of Nov. Had to leave on the 10th and they had just started chasing when I left. I killed a two year old ten point out of that tree.
e3d617f444fabe13f289092b5fba5055.jpg

If you look on my tether there’s a cliptor hanging on it like George said he put loops on his tether to hang his bow on. Great minds think alike.

Thanks bongo, we're just trying to help some people out and share info. Yes, we do pretty well in Maryland. We target mature deer for the most part, so it's a chest match especially since we don't use bait or spy cameras. We enjoy the challenge. Would definitely like to hook up sometime, maybe hunt some public.

Reactions: bongo

bongo

SH Member
Jan 26, 2015
N Ft Myers, Florida
Thanks bongo, we're just trying to help some people out and share info. Yes, we do pretty well in Maryland. We target mature deer for the most part, so it's a chest match especially since we don't use bait or spy cameras. We enjoy the challenge. Would definitely like to hook up sometime, maybe hunt some public.

Sounds great I’ll look forward to it.

Reactions: Adrena123

TNSTAAFL

SH Member
May 16, 2018
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

I did my adjustments the same way, and I'm not a flexible person.

The only difference in my setup was the use of a Ropeman1 on my tether (which is awesome) and a clear tube on my belt to minimize hangups. Oh, and I never installed an ocb strap or other form of locking strap at hunting height.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: bongo

Adrena123

Oct 20, 2016
MARYLAND
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

I did my adjustments the same way, and I'm not a flexible person.

The only difference in my setup was the use of a Ropeman1 on my tether (which is awesome) and a clear tube on my belt to minimize hangups. Oh, and I never installed an ocb strap or other form of locking strap at hunting height.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I use a rope tether and ropeman 1 as well. The ocb strap is used if the situation/ setup calls for it. Sometimes we need to stand on the square tubing to get the shot. If I'm filming for someone , i don't even use it.