• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Material help

Benny8

SH Member
I'm looking to sew up some side bags for the saddles to store linesman and tether and other stuff. What is the material that Tethrd uses at the top for their SYS haulers? I got some ripstop nylon off Amazon, but it is way too noisy to use deer hunting. Thank you in advance.
Aaron

I'm looking to sew up some side bags for the saddles to store linesman and tether and other stuff. What is the material that Tethrd uses at the top for their SYS haulers? I got some ripstop nylon off Amazon, but it is way too noisy to use deer hunting. Thank you in advance.
Aaron

I use mil spec mesh for my haulers and accessories typically. I buy off of eBay. The hole size of the mesh varies and is user preference but I like slightly bigger holes in the mesh than some manufacturers use so I can see inside my pouch. It matters less if it’s a pouch vs a whole saddle, but different meshes stretch differently under load as well. I use a thin tip stop nylon for the top closure area of my pouches as well typically with shock cord and a plastic lock

I use mil spec mesh for my haulers and accessories typically. I buy off of eBay. The hole size of the mesh varies and is user preference but I like slightly bigger holes in the mesh than some manufacturers use so I can see inside my pouch. It matters less if it’s a pouch vs a whole saddle, but different meshes stretch differently under load as well. I use a thin tip stop nylon for the top closure area of my pouches as well typically with shock cord and a plastic lock
Thanks, thats what I'm planning as well, just wasn't sure of the name of the material. The rip stop I have is very crinkly.

Thanks, thats what I'm planning as well, just wasn't sure of the name of the material. The rip stop I have is very crinkly.
Yea I use a light denier ripstop that isnt too bad, the heavy ones are crinkly in my experience but I like the water-shedding abilities and pliability vs cordura and its still relatively easy to sew on a basic machine vs the materials with elastic in them. I would just search "mil spec mesh" and look at your options. I'm not aware of a specific material name. Also worth noting they usually stretch most perpendicular to the direction of the weave. My first mesh saddle I cut the first template with the weave running vertical and I scrapped that panel because it was too rigid vertically when test sitting

Aaron
You need a slightly heavier deneir ripstop nylon. The Amazon stuff is usually super thin and all ripstop will be noisier than mesh or corduras. Another good option is polyester satin (think bed sheets) or Taslan and even 300 deneir tricot all work well. Look at places like Rockywoods, Camofabric depot or Ripstop by the roll to find these materials.

edit***
also if your ripstop has the dwr or uc on the back, it will make it stiffer and firmer but may also add to the crinkle noise you hear when the ripstop is pulling in. Taslan will be much softer almost cotton like and super quiet, same for tricot although it’s a little thicker than what I like to work with

^These two guys have about 100x the experience I do so I would defer to any of their advice

You need a slightly heavier deneir ripstop nylon. The Amazon stuff is usually super thin and all ripstop will be noisier than mesh or corduras. Another good option is polyester satin (think bed sheets) or Taslan and even 300 deneir tricot all work well. Look at places like Rockywoods, Camofabric depot or Ripstop by the roll to find these materials.

edit***
also if your ripstop has the dwr or uc on the back, it will make it stiffer and firmer but may also add to the crinkle noise you hear when the ripstop is pulling in. Taslan will be much softer almost cotton like and super quiet, same for tricot

Thank you, much appreciated!

Ive been liking this

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Thank you! Appreciate the help!

Back