• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Matt Rinella podcast

John 35

I’ve just listened to the first hour of this and it’s been pretty entertaining so far. It’s about the hunting media if that kind of thing interests you.
Starts out slow but it picks up around 25 min in.
A little controversy can be entertaining in the off season haha.

Oh yes the guy who wants to take away the photos of your deer on social media, take away your lease privileges, and eliminate hunting shows/YouTube channels.

Seems like a fun dude

He recently became the CEO of MeatEater too.
Jason Bergsman is the CEO of MeatEater…

Idk I don't listen to podcasts, but I've read some things he has put out, and I think he has some good points to relate to, but in the whole it's a little regressive. I'm mostly on board with hunting quietly, specifically the social media industrial-technological complex side of things. It's definitely interesting times we live in.

He's fighting a losing battle in today's social media cloutmesphere, but hopefully maybe some of the seeds he's planting will sprout in successive generations.

And to clear up some above "fake news" Matt is Steve's brother. Steve is the "popular", Meat Eater-Rinella. Must make for some interesting convos over family gatherings.

He’s an interesting guy to say the least. I haven’t seen anything where Matt is advocating to “take away” your leased land or photos on social media. Big difference between saying you shouldn’t because of xyz and saying you can’t. He’s started Hunt Quietly which discourages the social media aspect because it leads to the commodification of wildlife and hunting access. They encourage people to support private landowners who allow public access and discourage leasing when possible however have said if you do lease, share it with as many people as you can. There are counters to many of his ideas (as with any) but I don’t think he’s completely off base with many of his ideas.
He was a part of the movie “Stars in the Sky: A Hunting Story” that Steve did and I found his opinions to be well formulated even if they weren’t all things I agreed with.

Matt hits on some really good points imo but he would have to try really hard to come across worse.

Question for the forum, if there was an outlet that was less public than current social media outlets for hunting content and posting your own hunt photos or content, is it something you would participate in?

Matt hits on some really good points imo but he would have to try really hard to come across worse.

Question for the forum, if there was an outlet that was less public than current social media outlets for hunting content and posting your own hunt photos or content, is it something you would participate in?
Personally no I wouldn’t, of course I don’t have any normal social media to begin with, I used to have an instagram with almost 100k followers as a fitness “guru” and walked away from it. I realized that telling or showing the world a hobby or anything you do is futile, nobody cares and the ones who do don’t have anything going on in their own lives. And if you’re doing things to get validation from strangers you’re lost. And if you’re truly doing things for the genuine sake of the fact that you love to do them then showing it to the world shouldn’t even be a thing bc the only person it should truly matter to is you.

That already exists. It’s called a text message or a phone call to your close friends/family/. The ones who actually care about you and your success. Everything beyond that is just for that dopamine hit.

Personally no I wouldn’t, of course I don’t have any normal social media to begin with, I used to have an instagram with almost 100k followers as a fitness “guru” and walked away from it. I realized that telling or showing the world a hobby or anything you do is futile, nobody cares and the ones who do don’t have anything going on in their own lives. And if you’re doing things to get validation from strangers you’re lost. And if you’re truly doing things for the genuine sake of the fact that you love to do them then showing it to the world shouldn’t even be a thing bc the only person it should truly matter to is you.
This forum is a type of social media ;) Dont disagree with pretty much anything else in your reply though.

He didn't get his brother's gift for gab, that's for sure.

That already exists in plenty of forms. Back in the day when mom and pop sports shops were in every town, they all had a bulletin board full of photos. I'm sure some still do.

I don't so much have an issue with the act of sharing photos in itself. It's not for fear of alienating non-hunters, certain cultural norms excepted.

My beef is everyone seems to want to be an influencer and use hunting as an outlet to chase some perverted sense of notoriety. For what? To make a living out of a hobby? How many people is hunting going to make D-list famous? For someone to be famous they have to have fans? WT actual F is a hunting fan? Is this supposed to be a participatory or spectator sport? Are those of us that do it purely for personal enjoyment now some kind of sub-class of hunter? The whole hunting influencer ecosystem is just super cringe as the kids say now.

And trust me, it's not jealousy, it's watching people shamelessly exploiting the very things I love the most.

He didn't get his brother's gift for gab, that's for sure.

That already exists in plenty of forms. Back in the day when mom and pop sports shops were in every town, they all had a bulletin board full of photos. I'm sure some still do.

I don't so much have an issue with the act of sharing photos in itself. It's not for fear of alienating non-hunters, certain cultural norms excepted.

My beef is everyone seems to want to be an influencer and use hunting as an outlet to chase some perverted sense of notoriety. For what? To make a living out of a hobby? How many people is hunting going to make D-list famous? For someone to be famous they have to have fans? WT actual F is a hunting fan? Is this supposed to be a participatory or spectator sport? Are those of us that do it purely for personal enjoyment now some kind of sub-class of hunter? The whole hunting influencer ecosystem is just super cringe as the kids say now.

And trust me, it's not jealousy, it's watching people shamelessly exploiting the very things I love the most.
I would be really surprised if hardly anyone posting on this forum disagrees with your comments. Most of us are not fans of the direction or the tenor of the current model. My post aimed more at the question of what if there was a different model?

I didn’t listen to the pod fully, I probably will. Sounds super interesting. I’m of the opinion of keeping my own deer hunting accomplishments as close to the vest as possible. I don’t have social media anymore, I have this site as my hunting “outlet” but I don’t post my face on here much if ever. If I shot a nice one I might put it on the contest board but no one would know who actually shot it except the handful of you that have met me in person. There’s a “buck pole” bulletin board at my work I might throw a pic on. I’ll get it mounted and put it in my basement with the others and eat the rest. I guess I’m just good with the experience, the memories, the venison, and showing friends, family, and the guys at work some pictures. Anything more than that, I feel would be me gloating.
In saying all this, if you want to shout from the rooftops that you shot a giant then go for it. I totally understand, hunting is hard and it is an awesome accomplishment. That’s just not my style.

I like a good group text throughout the season where I can share with people I actually know. If I kill a good one I always post a pic on the text thread but I don’t post anything on social media. Although I never really thought about it being a bad thing I just wasn’t interested in doing it.

I think unfortunately the things said above have lead to a rise in "bending" the rules or just outright poaching. I don't have a problem with PHs to a point, but there are certainly boundaries that can't be crossed. People "doing it for the 'gram" are where things start to get out of hand IMO.

I listened to an older MeatEater podcast with him a few months back. It was not my favorite.

Some of Matt's critiques of hunting media are spot-on, and I agree with them. He was really hung up on two points:
1: Showing the animals you kill to strangers is apparently immoral, and even more more if you profit from it. Nobody asked him if taxidermy was an immoral act, or if there's an application and vetting process people have to submit to before he shares wild game meat with them, or permits them to bear witness to any taxidermy he may have, or if this moral standing only applies to online behaviors he doesn't participate in.
2: There are too many hunters. So many, that he has to share public land with other hunters. The horror! Clearly, Matt is entitled to be the sole human on any parcel of public land he may wish to grace with his presence. IIRC, he said that 3/4 of current hunters should stop hunting, so he can have the Nation's wild spaces to himself. I might be exaggerating, but very slightly; he came out swinging against hunter recruitment and retention efforts.

I don't know if it was because he was talking to his little brother, but Matt came off as petulant and generally insufferable. I won't be looking for more podcasts featuring him. I'm glad somebody with some platform is critiquing hunting media, but I don't think this guy will be effective, at all.

I listened to an older MeatEater podcast with him a few months back. It was not my favorite.

Some of Matt's critiques of hunting media are spot-on, and I agree with them. He was really hung up on two points:
1: Showing the animals you kill to strangers is apparently immoral, and even more more if you profit from it. Nobody asked him if taxidermy was an immoral act, or if there's an application and vetting process people have to submit to before he shares wild game meat with them, or permits them to bear witness to any taxidermy he may have, or if this moral standing only applies to online behaviors he doesn't participate in.
2: There are too many hunters. So many, that he has to share public land with other hunters. The horror! Clearly, Matt is entitled to be the sole human on any parcel of public land he may wish to grace with his presence. IIRC, he said that 3/4 of current hunters should stop hunting, so he can have the Nation's wild spaces to himself. I might be exaggerating, but very slightly; he came out swinging against hunter recruitment and retention efforts.

I don't know if it was because he was talking to his little brother, but Matt came off as petulant and generally insufferable. I won't be looking for more podcasts featuring him. I'm glad somebody with some platform is critiquing hunting media, but I don't think this guy will be effective, at all.
I can’t wrap my head around the whole concept of too many people on public land, I’m sure in some states it’s bad, I’ve hear horror stories but in my life I’ve only hunted public land here in Louisiana and continue to do so and I hardly see any people especially early season bow, even if there is a few trucks parked they aren’t where I am. But like I said I’ve heard horror stories from other states.

Back