• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Method of setting screw in steps

nicholas buck

Fellas

Been experimenting with what drill bits and drills will be best to preset some screw in steps.

Here are my findings:

Tested two types of cordless drills an dewalt driver and a dewalt impact.

Tested two types of bits a paddle bit and conventional.

The best combo was the paddle bit with the impact drill. Note the impact weighs half that of a driver drill. Here are some pics too. I also did a short battery test and the battery would drilled 80 holes and still had some juice left. So that about enough for 4 stands worth of steps.

I used dewalt because that's what I own but there may be lighter drills out there. Anyone have a different brand that is lighter and better battery I would be intrigued to hear about.

Attachments

• IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1963.JPG
    IMG_1963.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 28
I just use a 12v for tree bolts. Carrying extra batteries (I never do more than 4 or 5 trees at a time anyway) is less hassle than carrying g bigger drill. But I am using an EZKut bit which needs less power than a paddle bit.

Have you ever tried an auger bit? I guess you would get one sized a bit smaller than your steps?

Back