• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Michigan acorns early 2022 season

Horn

SH Member
So, I've been wondering about our acorns and deer activity here in the mitten. I'm not finding, really any let alone promising, sign in the acorns I come across. Some cut caps but tracks are scarce and droppings nearly non-existent.

@Empostarr touched on this in the live from the saddle thread, which made me more curious.

I could just be an dumb rookie, that's most likely. Any and all feedback is welcome!

I'm hunting the Flat River State game area. I believe Empostarr is about due east of me. And I know that there are several members over by GR.

Thanks y'all

Yeah, other years around this time I've seen signs around the acorns. This year not at all. Definitely seeing squirrel activity tho!

It may be that by me they just have so many other abundant and probably tastier food options. They might snack on acorns, but definitely not staying in one place for long.

I hunt rwo states and The acorn crop around one spot is is really thin. Then today I scouted in the other state and was glad to find some.
nit a stellar year by far but some.
sometimes its good to only find a few trees dropping compared to every oak dropping.
easier to know where to setup at :kissingheart:

At the farm I hunt, when the Burr oaks are in full swing, there will be a pile of deer under them. Last few years the crop has been slim picking. When we went down I saw a few tops, but not a lot of activity. So moved on. The red oak next to my house has smaller and less than average acorns.
Walking thru and around the campground here this weekend the oak trees seem pretty lite as well.

Same story here in West Michigan. Some years I could roll an ankle on them they are so thick. This year there are some producing, but not big numbers. The good news is it helps narrow down the food sources.

-Dan

Try lower elevations such as oaks growing along swamp edges and along creeks. Also key in on the really big trees. In dry years (assuming it is dry up there like here) the big ones seem to produce better. Maybe their age and mass help them avoid the stress. Like it has been said, when the acorns are scarce, it makes the hot trees you find really good.

Back