• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Michigan Black Bear

Horn

SH Member
Is anyone hunting bear in Michigan? I know we have the points thing for them, but it looks like you can get a tag in 3-5 years if you're willing to hunt the U.P. Do those tags have a decent chance of success or is the hunting that much better in the more popular areas? Do we stand a chance up there being trolls ( live under the bridge for those not familiar)? Are these bears good eating? I've heard bear is both gross and delicious, and I trust both opinions lol. Not sure about archery or firearms but no dogs for us.

All thoughts appreciated!

All I can tell you is this-
Get the first hunt (before dogs are allowed) and the highest population of bear is in the Baraga unit. I hunted the 3rd hunt last year near Escanaba (first time bear hunting) and never even seen a bear. Had some on camera but they disappeared about 2 weeks before I started. (I only hunted for a week)

Yeah, bear is delicious. Fall bears are the best - fattened up for winter. Younger bears are most delicious. Big boar, particularly close to the rut are far less tasty.

82EB0862-7CFB-4497-9C69-B141F0FA9869.jpeg

All I can tell you is this-
Get the first hunt (before dogs are allowed) and the highest population of bear is in the Baraga unit. I hunted the 3rd hunt last year near Escanaba (first time bear hunting) and never even seen a bear. Had some on camera but they disappeared about 2 weeks before I started. (I only hunted for a week)
Excellent info, thanks!

I agree with above. Cooling meat quickly is key. I had 10 points when I finally drew the red oak region. Anytime your not dealing dog hunters is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"You are what you eat" applies more to bears than probably any other animal. Except maybe swine. A bear shot near a dump, or that has been eating a bunch of fish, will not taste as good as a bear shot near an apple orchard or blueberry thicket. Good thing about spring bear is they are likely eating clover and grass right now. Last time I got drawn for MN fall bear, I hunted hazelnut thickets and an abandoned orchard pretty aggressively, and did honey burns as well as bait. Unfortunately, I never sealed the deal, so my experience is limited.

Put a cooler with a couple-four gallon jugs of water, frozen solid, in your truck. Re-freeze them overnight. If you hang and otherwise treat venison like beef, you need to treat bear like pork or fish.

Don't forget to salt and cool the hide ASAP as soon as the meat is iced. The hair will slip pretty quickly; the fur and fat are very insulating and will keep it from cooling, so you're going to want to treat your hide deliberately. There's a MeatEater video on skinning bears that should get you started, but you should probably talk to a taxidermist ahead of time if you're going to want a rug or shoulder mount or whatever; from the research I've done, it's easier to mess up a bear hide than a deer hide.

I got 9pts myself for this seasons draw. Debating whether to put in for it, or my preference point or wait til next yr. My Ohio trip is a month from the 1st weeks bear hunt. Saw a drop in deer in Ohio, due to EHD, so might just go bear hunting. Had a crack at the "Michigan Slam" yrs ago. Got Turkey, Bucks, Bull Elk but unfortunately didnt have enough time off saved up n couldnt go bear hunting. Gladly took the elk over the bear, considering its a once in a lifetime deal in Michigan. Now the only way I can accomplish this is to win the Pure Michigan Hunt contest.

Like mentioned above, bear is very good and cooling it ASAP is key.

I hunt the Baldwin BMU. Took 14 points to get my first Michigan tag in 2019 to take a bear on my own land and building points back up again since then. Took a large male on the last day of my hunt. I wasn't able to bait until the first day of my hunt which resulted in some very slow sits the first two days. Had a sow with three cubs hitting the bait consistently after that but only saw one boar. Point being, if you're heading to the UP, I'd recommend getting there early and establishing the bait site BEFORE your hunt starts.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I will take bear over deer anytime of the week.

Just as others have mentioned, quick field processing is the key, especially if hunting during mating season (early June)

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

So it does kind of sound like baiting is the way to go. If that's the case that's going to make it hard on us for a U.P. hunt, I think it's pushing 200 miles to the bridge ( farther for my buddy) . I should look closer at the seasons and think about timing

So it does kind of sound like baiting is the way to go. If that's the case that's going to make it hard on us for a U.P. hunt, I think it's pushing 200 miles to the bridge ( farther for my buddy) . I should look closer at the seasons and think about timing

It can be done. The baiting is the challenge. If you have a friend who could bait that would help. Or Someone would that let you hunt a large private chunk where they wouldn’t be molested. If you don’t bait in advance and go up cold you will probably have a couple quiet days unless there is a bear near you. Then you might see one quicker. Ultimately the UP is more difficult without a guide service.

It can be done. The baiting is the challenge. If you have a friend who could bait that would help. Or Someone would that let you hunt a large private chunk where they wouldn’t be molested. If you don’t bait in advance and go up cold you will probably have a couple quiet days unless there is a bear near you. Then you might see one quicker. Ultimately the UP is more difficult without a guide service.

Read up on honey burns and bacon burns. Essentially, a soup can with some honey or bacon ends & pieces, and a heat source like a Sterno can or small pile of charcoal. The honey will at first boil and then burn, leaving sugary smoke to coat the bait station. A couple of cups of dog food drizzled with syrup will pique a bear's interest, if a 5-gallon bucket of proper bait isn't an option. Use heavy logs to protect your bait from smaller animals, and to force hungry bears to stand broadside while eating or investigating. Put a couple of 6' birch logs on the ground near the bait to facilitate estimating the bear's size. Also, put some smears of honey or syrup, or anisette oil, something, on nearby trees at head height; this will both cause them to stand still while investigating long enough for you to shoot, and to give you a chance to estimate the bear's size.

I was in the Evart area over the weekend, I have a seasonal camp site there. Great news, 2 black bear sightings over the weekend! Both Saturday, possibly the same bear. I didn't see it personally. I think we may have heard it Friday night too.

Anyway I'm going to start banking points to try that hunt. It's a lot more points but I have easy access to public land and friends in the area that will probably help out. Maybe even help tend bait I'd I ask nice lol. It's only around 80 miles from home, I think, so not unrealistic to scout and bait

Quick question, do you have to wait for drawing results to show that you have a point? I bought mine in store, my buddy bought his in the new app. He's wondering whats up

Yea you have to wait until the draw results, I believe. I bought mine in the app and no results yet except previous years points. Or I’m totally wrong.

Yea you have to wait until the draw results, I believe. I bought mine in the app and no results yet except previous years points. Or I’m totally wrong.

Definitely appreciate your input! Thanks

Good recent pic. About 45 yards from one of my gun blinds. Baldwin BMU which took me 14 points to get a tag in 2019.
89ac97d5fccaa6adcfd05d52b5ca441e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Back