• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Miniature deer

It looks like an introduced species, like that Chinese water deer they were discussing in the article or a cross bred deer. It could be a mutant. It is weird looking that's for sure.

It looks like an introduced species, like that Chinese water deer they were discussing in the article or a cross bred deer. It could be a mutant. It is weird looking that's for sure.
I would wonder if its a sika or roe
Mini elk would be amazing!

None of the above. I used to live in the UK where we had all three of those species. The head on picture does give the impression of a CWD, but when you look at the other pictures it doesn't anymore. I think that's an illusion of the facial fur and the angle of the picture. Roe are a very different shape, though about the same size fully grown. Sika are like a mini elk.

@Camelcluch - Sika are what you want then. Look up Maryland Sika hunting. There is a population on the eastern shore.

I have looked into them. They are close but they are not elk. I would like to hunt a sika one day.

Outdoor Life has apparently went way downhill, these are tabloid type articles. There’s a zero percent chance they don’t know comparing deer size to dog size makes people cringe. Combining that with giving the landowner the crossbreeding loses me if they are looking to be anything more than clickbait.

Outdoor Life has apparently went way downhill, these are tabloid type articles. There’s a zero percent chance they don’t know comparing deer size to dog size makes people cringe. Combining that with giving the landowner the crossbreeding loses me if they are looking to be anything more than clickbait.
To be fair, some of the southern state deer arent much bigger than large breed dogs...

I have looked into them. They are close but they are not elk. I would like to hunt a sika one day.
Sika hunting in MD is where I put 90% of my effort anymore. It’s an amazing place and animal to hunt. The meat is the best I’ve had. It’s a tranquil place till the last 5 minutes of shooting light, which is wild and adrenaline filled as they all start waking up around you and wanting to mate or pick fights. Let me know if you ever make the trip out.

In 2004 I had a group of 12 deer come by twice in PA and there was a dwarf and a melanistic in the group. It was surreal. I shot an 8pt that was trailing them the second time around, but have taken plenty of those. Never have I seen a dwarf or melanistic deer since. Cool hunt, fun to reminisce on that. Thanks for the post.

Back