• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Missouri Alternative Methods... Firearmless...

DIYSaddler

Jul 22, 2015
So it's almost alternative methods here in Missoura and I'd like to hunt it with a firearm. Only one problem... The only firearm I own legal for the season is a Ruger SR9C. I do however own a Mosin Nagant and I thought about turning it into a pistol for giggles but it's from the Tula factory.
mosin_pistol.jpeg

To chop or not to chop that is the question.

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
First, you can always buy another Mosin so don't dread a life without one if you chop this one. If chopping makes the gun more likely to be used, then I would say chop.

However, there are lots of rules around modifications to firearms. In this case you are turning a rifle into a pistol, which requires a federal tax stamp. There are also rules around modifying imported firearms. You have to use a certain number of American parts, yada, yada...

For a private range or sitting in your safe, it may not be something you would worry about. But if you have that thing around the wrong Wildlife Officer, you could potentially end up facing federal charges.

I'm not a lawyer. If someone else points out that I'm wrong in this case, I would happy. But I think they have you from at least one angle, maybe two.

DIYSaddler

Jul 22, 2015
Wonder if there's anyone here who's done this before that would know the regulations?

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
DIYSaddler said:
Wonder if there's anyone here who's done this before that would know the regulations?

There are. We just don't like to quote things b/c this can be serious stuff.

For instance, I just told you this could be done. I was wrong. I don't think you can change a rifle to a pistol, even with a stamp. You can only do this if it was originally a pistol that you legally converted to a rifle.

So you can go pistol to rifle. You can not go rifle to pistol - unless it was originally a pistol. See why we don't quote this stuff? I knew this and still brain-farted. I would have hated if any wrong quotes I made got anyone into trouble.

Either way, doing this conversion will likely cost almost as much as buying a used .44Mag revolver or a Contender in 7MM-08.

DIYSaddler

Jul 22, 2015
Maustypsu said:
Either way, doing this conversion will likely cost almost as much as buying a used .44Mag revolver or a Contender in 7MM-08.

Yes, but they wouldn't look as cool as the gun above. ;) :lol:

essdub

Feb 22, 2015
Greenville South Carolina area
Amen
Also, I think the original post meant to say something like : "I have a friend who...""
I have a friend who just built this sweet little thing for ,um , another friend.
965d594cd3a7db10690e81b364e49868.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Maustypsu

Oct 5, 2015
Nice pistol, essdub.

I like the stabilizer which of course is only there to balance the gun as it is fired one handed.