• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modern Archery...good lord...

always89y

Vendor Rep
SH Member
I dont know how you fellas do it! Im looking through the classifieds an see rip cords, Ultra Rests, SYNUN (***), a smack down thingamagjig, EVS Adult Inserts (ouch), IQ Micro Bee Stinger Ultra Sights...my brain hurts. Total for everything is about $6, 938.21...is any of this even a bow? Who carries around a tool box full of allen wrenches and super glue to make the adjstments?

You boys are techno gurus with the patience of Jobe. Im asuming no one ever misses anymore?

Oh, my nature is to make it as hard as possible. Thats why I have to limit myself to equipment and methods that provide no adjustability or provisions for add ons. The main reason I dont see deer is because im always adjusting my damn tether, bridge, and anything else I can "make slightly better"!

Im asuming no one ever misses anymore?
That's a wonderful thought. My honest opinion is shooting a compound has become so easy that lots of guys don't practice like they should.

I just got a new bow, no way I'm paying 125 for a new mathews quiver when my decade old quickie quiver still works just fine. Definitely ways to keep it affordable.

Oh, my nature is to make it as hard as possible. Thats why I have to limit myself to equipment and methods that provide no adjustability or provisions for add ons. The main reason I dont see deer is because im always adjusting my damn tether, bridge, and anything else I can "make slightly better"!
Also why I dont put molle loops on my saddles, or own an AR platform!

kind of ironic the post is on a website that spends 90% of it’s brain power on incremental changes to a piece of aluminum strapped to a tree to climb it, and a piece of cloth under your butt to hang from it.

I agree it’s insane, but archery is a habit/hobby/rabbit hole/hole to throw money in and light it on fire, just like any other hobby.

can you cover 80% if possible Deer hunting scenarios with a used bow, Walmart sight/Rest/arrows/broadheads? Yes. Are there people who enjoy spending all their time covering the last 20%? Of course. What’s new?

Are the gidgets and gadgets all pretty stable? Does bouncing around a truck, plane or slightly bumping it agianst a branch send a fella back to the range? Is loc-tite as important as string wax?...Is sting wax required still?

kind of ironic the post is on a website that spends 90% of it’s brain power on incremental changes to a piece of aluminum strapped to a tree to climb it, and a piece of cloth under your butt to hang from it.

I agree it’s insane, but archery is a habit/hobby/rabbit hole/hole to throw money in and light it on fire, just like any other hobby.

can you cover 80% if possible Deer hunting scenarios with a used bow, Walmart sight/Rest/arrows/broadheads? Yes. Are there people who enjoy spending all their time covering the last 20%? Of course. What’s new?
Solid points for sure! as I peruse the web, and the various hunting sites/posts, it just seems that archery gear discussions and the never ending equipment set up finish line is the fastest of moving targets.

Im officially creating my alter ego, TimberPimp this season. Im gonna buy and wear pimp suites from goodwill, take my stickiest of bows and man diaper into the woods and hunt. Ill video it with my Canon 3976 Elite Fast Tracker Ultra Light, depending on the background conditions and if I can get it adjusted!

Never! But I had one jump the string, so I moved to a faster bow. Then I hit the shoulder, so I had to build an "adult arrow." Then I got busted on a draw, so I bought a 20" axle to axle wrist rocket. And then...
See Nutterbuster gets it... hahahaha

Are the gidgets and gadgets all pretty stable? Does bouncing around a truck, plane or slightly bumping it agianst a branch send a fella back to the range? Is loc-tite as important as string wax?...Is sting wax required still?
My father in law has been bow hunting for 20+ years. 4th of July we were shooting bows at his house and when I waxed my string he said wow what is that stuff?? Apparently string wax has never been required.....

Its fun to watch it all, but I still carry the same ole thing Fred Bear did 50 yrs ago, and the funny part is it still works, at least for me. Its good we dont all like the same things..

Take this for what it’s worth but I’ve never missed a deer that I didn’t take a shot at, and that just the plain truth. That’s why I say... in life, the one who is afraid to inherit destiny cannot inherit destiny. I’ve missed with wheel bows and fancy compounds, and I plan to miss with a Recurve soon too. It’s not gonna be the bows fault, I’ll tell you that.

Take this for what it’s worth but I’ve never missed a deer that I didn’t take a shot at, and that just the plain truth. That’s why I say... in life, the one who is afraid to inherit destiny cannot inherit destiny. I’ve missed with wheel bows and fancy compounds, and I plan to miss with a Recurve soon too. It’s not gonna be the bows fault, I’ll tell you that.
Oh yeah, I'm definitely selling you a mini after you have a few deer stroll by while you're holding the bent stick. ;)

Back