• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modification to lone wolf sticks.

Saddle9

I am looking to make the modification to my lone wolf sticks switching from their straps to a rope style method. I want to make the switch for more of a stealth noise free set up. What is the best rope for this method, over all length and diameter?

I liked the muddy safeline myself, seems perfect size, and perfect stiffness for my liking. I think you'll like the switch to the rope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8mm accessory cord is what many use, including myself but finding good colors is tricky and the brown or green ones only seem to be offered are pricey. Rei ships bright blue.

I'm probably going to go the amsteel route next season. Sounds like it has less stretch compared to accessory cord.

I went with the safeline option but just converted to amsteel Daisy chains.

Has anyone used an amsteel ucr for this I've just played around with it at ground level on one stick but I think I really like it

Has anyone used an amsteel ucr for this I've just played around with it at ground level on one stick but I think I really like it

I did. I didn't like it. The standard rope mod worked better for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Did you try the UCR? I was thinking the same thing was just wondering if you were using it or not.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Did you try the UCR? I was thinking the same thing was just wondering if you were using it or not.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I tried it but after I played with it some more and tried it in the woods I didn't like it, I couldn't get it adjusted tight enough it always just felt like the stick was loose on the tree....so I hunted all season with lw straps with inner tubes on the buckles..... I'm going to try a whoopie sling as an alternative but if that doesn't suit me I'll probably go to the accessory cord rope mod for next year if I don't ditch them completely for my wild edge Stepp's.

I have been using sterling htp static in 8-9mm. Same ropes for 3 seasons now and shows no wear. Check out r&w rope (i think thats what the place is called). They have different colors!

Been using amsteel in either 3/8 or 5/16 (i can't remember the exact size) for 4 years with the standard rope mod. One brummel locked loop, the other end clinched inside the versa button then two half hitches. No issues at all.
36d610363351dea07769d0e994ff7464.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm sure if I scour the threads there is many opinions, but do you guys recommend rope or amsteel for this mod. I'm not sure I want to mess with splices unless the benefits are worth it. 8mm seems to be the recommended size, would that be for either material?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back