• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Modified Camera Arm

kyler1945

SH Member
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PTW9KYG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I couldn't pass this up for weight, compactness, and ease of use. The only thing I didn't care for was that it only had two joints. Well, with drilling one hole, cutting an inch off of the middle tube, one bolt, nuts, and spacers, it's now a three jointer. It's got about 30" of reach, and weighs 2.5lbs.

I have an overcenter buckle and 1" strap to hang it from the tree. I also swapped in an eye bolt for one of the straight bolts. I can clip my backpack to it once I'm set up. The plan is to get to height, set up platform, tether in, screw in bow hook and hang pack from it, strap on camera arm, switch pack to the eye bolt, and pull bow up. Easy peasy

Figured I'd share, as you can't make 'em yourself this cheap. It's two drawbacks are that the base doesn't separate from the arm, and it doesn't have a way to get perfectly level in all planes. But I'm not a professional, and it serves my purposes. And straps to side of my backpack.

camera arm.jpg

couple more photos. Permanently attached strap and OCB, and added some hooks for items I use regularly in the tree. Also sewed an elastic loop onto the end of the strap to ball up the tag end so it doesn't blow around or get tangled.camarmelas.jpg
camarmelastic (2).jpg
cameraarm1.jpg
camarmhooks.jpg

bump for @DaveT1963 - I know you mentioned your frustration with the size of the camera arm. This one weighs 2.5lbs with the cheap head it comes with. It worked fine for me with a little grease on the joints until it was really really cold. It just got a little herkyjerky then. It's cheap and easy to modify to get a little more reach and flexibility, plus it's tiny.

To be clear, I have the fourth arrow now, and it is remarkably smoother. But there's a drastic difference in packability and my desire to bring it along.

Back