• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Moultrie edge

I bought three 2-packs of these about 4 weeks ago but I got them at Academy on sale for $139 a 2-pk. I went with these because I'm on Verizon and although Verizon is the strongest signal in my area it's ZERO on my hunting property. Verizon was going to charge me $15/camera and I knew there'd be no service. With the Moultries you use their app and it pulls from the big 4 whatever gives it the best signal. Only costs me $8.99 apiece and I can start/stop any time as opposed to Verizon locking me in for a year. My local Academy is still selling them for $159 a 2-pk.

I don't know what carriers they're pulling from but all 6 have a strong signal. One thing I like about them also is you can put 16 batteries in each and it will run the first 8 dry and automatically switch over to the next 8. Since 8/24/23 the 6 cameras have about 7-800 pics apiece and the first 8 batteries are all still showing 93-95% battery. I've been running the Harbor Freight $1.99 for and 18-pk and they've been fine.

To me it gives a good clear pic day or night and I get the alert pretty doggone quick. One caveat is I don't shoot bucks and only shoot does for meat. I've hunted every year since I was little and I'm 52 and never shot a buck. So a real movie theatre quality, high def pic isn't very high on my radar. I just want to see deer and see what time of day they are coming thru to pattern them.

Thanks for the info. I decided to pass on these because you cannot pull the pictures from the card without a plan. That's a huge con imo. All they need is to add a USB port to pull the pictures and I think it'd be a great cam for the money

Thanks for the info. I decided to pass on these because you cannot pull the pictures from the card without a plan. That's a huge con imo. All they need is to add a USB port to pull the pictures and I think it'd be a great cam for the money
That was actually one of my “pros” I didn’t need an SD card nor buy a dongle for my phone. My previous cameras weren’t cell and I bought a dongle and then iPhone changed their input and no one offered an adapter.

That was actually one of my “pros” I didn’t need an SD card nor buy a dongle for my phone. My previous cameras weren’t cell and I bought a dongle and then iPhone changed their input and no one offered an adapter.
I could see that. To me it seems like a way to keep you on the plan.

I have 10 of them out so far. Been using them since last year, on 2 properties that I hunt that are a 5+ hour drive from my home. 1 in NW PA, & 1 in SE OH, both are areas with very low cell signals.

They work fine, & have been working well since I set them. Yes, you need to buy their plan, but so far, I have no complaints! The convenience of looking at my phone to see the pics is worth the plan fee, IMO.

I could see that. To me it seems like a way to keep you on the plan.
If I had a dollar for every SD card I "misplaced" I could almost afford another SD card. LOL! You're correct it keeps you on their plan but once the photos are on your phone even if you cancel their plan you still have your photos. Another thing I liked is Verizon wanted a year @ $15/camera compared to $8.99/camera and our deer season runs from 3rd Saturday in Sept to 1st Sunday in January.

So I can start and stop the Moultrie app at my leisure. I'll probably definitely run them from end July/first of Aug thru the first of January. Afterwards I'm not sure whether I'll leave them out there and periodically check a month at a time or more than likely bring them in and remove the batteries, clean them up and store them. My only concern is every camera I've had in the past, bringing them in for a bit and taking them out of commission seems to be the death nail for that camera. May be a coincidence, I'm not sure.

Back